• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Average value of a 2010 Triumph Scrambler?

Reaction score
I was offered what is supposed to be a deal on a Scrambler. I've been out of the street bike thing for a while but was wondering what they're typically worth? It has some crash guards added. Input appreciated.

Dave

I was offered what is supposed to be a deal on a Scrambler. I've been out of the street bike thing for a while but was wondering what they're typically worth? It has some crash guards added. Input appreciated.

I usually try to buy as far under the NADA value as possible when snagging up a used motorcycle. My personal purchase point if I were buying an almost 8-year-old Scrambler would probably be about $3,500 in good shape, but up to $4,300 or even a little more in excellent condition.

BTW, IMO, forget KBB estimates when it comes to motorcycles. They almost always waaaaay overvalue bikes in Texas for some reason.

Cheers and good luck! :chug:

$3500 to $4k would be a screaming deal unless it was really high mileage. The scramblers bring a higher price than the t100 or SE Bonneville. I think generally they start around $5k for the FI years (again, unless it's a high miles bike). $5500 for really low miles... $6k plus for low miles and lots of extras... etc. All this is assuming it's mechanically and cosmetically in good shape.

I've had a couple and think they are great bikes. Good luck.

Last edited:
Folks always have different opinions on what a "deal" is. I would agree on a deal being in the $3500 range or slightly more.

Thanks for the feedback and all good info. The bike only has 3k miles on it very low. Was running but has been sitting for a couple of years. Tank is off and drained but would still expect some work to be done because of it sitting.

Thanks for the feedback and all good info. The bike only has 3k miles on it very low. Was running but has been sitting for a couple of years. Tank is off and drained but would still expect some work to be done because of it sitting.

Most non-running bikes will usually be a complete gamble. It might fire right up after reassembly or you might have to spend hundreds, even thousands of bucks more (not to mention long hours of wrenching time). If the reasons for the bike being dead are supposedly simple fixes, yet the seller hasn't gotten it running prior to attempting a sale, that's a potential red flag to me. So unless you really know and trust this person, I would proceed with some measure of caution.

Lastly, in the case of rolling the dice on a comatose bike, I would throw all book and fair market estimates out the window and attempt to negotiate a rock-bottom price. Continued best wishes.

Folks always have different opinions on what a "deal" is. I would agree on a deal being in the $3500 range or slightly more.

Exactly. Not to mention that geographical region and local bike culture have a lot to do with what a bike will bring.

Out here in the Permian Basin where only Harleys are considered "real bikes", Triumphs are not much sought after and have less resale value than, say, within the I-35 corridor. For example, I have the only modern classic Triumph I know of in Midland, Texas. There's not even a Triumph dealer or brand support within 300 miles, so you just never see them. I regularly run into folks out here who have no idea Triumphs are still being manufactured. People are always telling me what a great job I did "restoring that old Triumph". I just smile and say thanks.

I'm with TWTim on this one; bikes that have been sitting often have lots of not so major problems (tire hardening, battery goes bad, fuel system has to be reworked, brake fluid (and other fluids) have be replaced, electrical connections and connectors get "crusty", etc) so that seemingly pristine unused bike is sometimes just a money pit. It takes work to keep a bike in good shape; a bike just sitting in someone's garage is like those rheumy-eyed dispirited mangy dogs seen in an ASPCA ad, chained in the darkness, just waiting for a kind soul to bring them out into the light (and spend a lot of dinero doing it). While a rescued dog will do ANYTHING for it's new owner, bikes often are not like that.

I was just curious how this situation worked out. Any updates?

Most non-running bikes will usually be a complete gamble. It might fire right up after reassembly or you might have to spend hundreds, even thousands of bucks more (not to mention long hours of wrenching time). If the reasons for the bike being dead are supposedly simple fixes, yet the seller hasn't gotten it running prior to attempting a sale, that's a potential red flag to me. So unless you really know and trust this person, I would proceed with some measure of caution.

Lastly, in the case of rolling the dice on a comatose bike, I would throw all book and fair market estimates out the window and attempt to negotiate a rock-bottom price. Continued best wishes.

I thought I was the only person that thought this way.

A non-running or older bike can be a huge money pit, easily exceeding any possible resale price tag. It is definitely a crap shoot.

Parts are freaking expensive and increase the older the bike gets simply because there is no supply. Compound a "unique" bike and parts go up exponentially.

If you really covet a Triumph Scrambler, then the purchase price becomes moot.

Folks use KBB and NADA as a guide. But that's dealer pricing with all the overhead, refurb, make-ready and profit built in. Individual sale FMV is something completely different.

It makes fiscal sense that if I'm gonna pay dealer retail, the perks that come with dealer purchase should be in place. :chug:

In the case of an older bike and from an individual, there is zero recourse if a box full of gremlins is opened.

Folks use KBB and NADA as a guide. But that's dealer pricing with all the overhead, refurb, make-ready and profit built in.

Exactly. BTW, I've found that NADA is the better of the two with regard to West Texas pricing, though I'm not sure if that carries to other areas as well. KBB overvalues almost all bikes for this area. I usually take the KKB value and subtract 15 percent as a generally reliable reference to top-end pricing.

Search ebaymotors.com for the bike and click either the "Completed Listings" or "Sold Listings" button to get a feel for what the market is for a comparable machine.

-Jeff

Back