• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chain Tool in S Austin

Reaction score
Swapped the chain and sprockets on my 800GS last night only to find out that Sprocket Center sent a rivet on master link rather than a clip on. While this isn't exactly bad news in the long term, I'm trying to scare up a way to rivet this link on without having to buy a tool that I'll use so infrequently. I know cycle gear has a cheap one, so if nothing convenient pops up here, I'll just go buy one.

go buy a clip type master link. cycle gear used to have some behind the counter.

If I'd had a tool for that type of master link, I'd help you out, but I've managed to stay with clip on master links so far.

The thought had crossed my mind, but I keep hearing everyone ooh and ahh over the rivet master links compared to the clip on in terms of safety.

The rivet type will be almost as strong as the original chain as far as staying together. That being said, a correctly done clip type will stay on just fine. The actual strength of the link is the same. It is keeping the side plate on that is in question.

Not sure why I never switched. Probably because my dirt bikes don't go through chains as fast as a street bike would.

The rivet type will be almost as strong as the original chain as far as staying together. That being said, a correctly done clip type will stay on just fine. The actual strength of the link is the same. It is keeping the side plate on that is in question.

Not sure why I never switched. Probably because my dirt bikes don't go through chains as fast as a street bike would.

As long as the clip type is installed correctly
attachment.php

Closed end facing the direction of travel
and the clip placed as above and snapped (slide) into place.. it is as strong as needed.... untill it's not.

I have seen a ton of worn clips on dirt bikes..
attachment.php

They wear fast due to dirt, grime and abrasive mud and sand combined with the chain sliding through the lower chain guide.

So if you use a clip type master link, install correctly and check it often.

Attachments

• chain masterlink.jpg
    chain masterlink.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 215
  • masterlink clip.jpg
    masterlink clip.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 196
Yep, was lubing my chain one day and my master link was gold and rest of chain was black. The all gold side plate caught my eye. "Something isn't right" I tell myself. Wait, no clip! Wonder how long that was like that. Put new clip on. Later I went to swap from sprocket and was cleaning gunk from sprocket cover and found the clip, but it was J shaped instead of U. Basically the clip broke.

Yep, was lubing my chain one day and my master link was gold and rest of chain was black. The all gold side plate caught my eye. "Something isn't right" I tell myself. Wait, no clip! Wonder how long that was like that. Put new clip on. Later I went to swap from sprocket and was cleaning gunk from sprocket cover and found the clip, but it was J shaped instead of U. Basically the clip broke.

This is exactly why I'm leaning towards going the rivet route. I've done some more research this morning and this scenario seems to be extremely common, which makes me wonder. Is the clip on master link method that prone to failure, or is the installation process so easy to mess up that most people get it wrong?
I've been reading about losing clips that were just normally installed, RTV'd on, and even safety wired on.

the installation process so easy to mess up that most people get it wrong?

Mostly that ^

But it also can be "wiped off" the link in the right circumstances. And of course there is the wear issue.

Clip style works, until it does not :giveup:

The Rivet style is a bit more reliable for the get go, and a lot more reliable in the long run.. BUT still must be installed correctly.

Many folks mess up the peening of the rivet end, splitting it, not deforming it enough or not seating the side plate on correctly/ far enough before peening the link ends.

Ended up buying the tool from Cycle Gear, so if anyone else in S Austin needs one, I'm happy to let them use it. My GS now has a nice and quiet new chain and sprockets after 25k mikes :eek2: of abuse on the original.

Back