• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

I did a day ride to Cedar Creek Lake with another TWTer. We used the single burner stove to heat up some beans in a pot from the Sterno kit. To keep from a burned big cleanup, I just put a few ounce of water into the pot and then cut and boiled the hot dogs. We poured out the excess water and added beans and warmed.

This all packed into a single bag on the SL350. The hot dogs were a pack of four I had frozen and they were just about thawed when we stopped to eat lunch - no cooler was required. We had a can of Spam ready if the dogs were ugly.

Ate with chips and crackers. I used a packet of taqito salsa from Whataburger to add some zip to mine.

We found a city park in Mabank as we were unable to find a lakefront park.

No park fees, total meal was $2 for 2 people.

Went to Harbor Freight today to use my July coupons before they expired. I picked up a free 6' x 8' (?) blue tarp and webbing to tie it like in the following video. Used the 20% off coupon on the webbing $4. See the webbing and a little larger tarp in the following video. Not a hammock guy here but I might try it just for fun.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jAAJESghk0"]Bushcrafting on a Buck #5 - Harbor Freight - YouTube[/ame]

This has been in my travel/camping arsenal for at least 10 years. The knob to set on/off/temp is long gone but pliers work well. Highly recommended. Very quick to boil water.

Pros: It was about $12 when I bought it but is still around $20. 10,000 BTU. Burner far from the table (once had a propane grill almost catch the bench on fire). Can use smaller bottles. Easy to light. Use camping pots and pans or kitchen castoffs. Quick to setup, quick to cool, quick to pack.

Cons: Feels like it cold come tumbling down easily but never has. Even with a big pot of coffee or large frying pan. Bigger than an alcohol stove, slightly larger than Jetboil.

Now that I have written this I realize that probably 80% of all campers already have or have had one. But I still think it works and will use it this week.

Image too large. I will just do a link instead of a picture.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71aT91HdoiL._SL1500_.jpg

Had one of these in college. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P9GZSM/?tag=twowhetex-20

Now, looking at it, I wonder about converting to a flexible hose and reducing the (removing the tin) base for space??? I have a micro 1 mantle lantern that uses the 1lb cylinder, so 1 fuel type for two gadgets. Not bad for $19.00. Next time I see one of these at a yard sale I will grab it.

I made one of these last week when I found we had an extra sink strainer:

(not my pic)
hqdefault.jpg

The middle was raised just a bit so I took it out and scratched it down on the concrete. I have not tried it yet but it packs much smaller than the sterno stove. To make this work I need to cut and roll some aluminum for a wind break and then carry it in my cup.

Can anyone think of an alternative for the dial on a single burner Coleman stove. I lost the plastic knob that turns the gas on and off. It has the "D" on the end of the stem. A pair of pliers works pretty good and that is what I am doing now. New ones have a screw to keep them. One could order from Coleman but that would not make sense on a $15 stove.

Do generic hardware parts exist for this?

Older appliances and electronics all used those "D" shaft knobs. I bet you could find something laying around. Any old AM transistor radios in your attic? or just search the Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hdwe, etc. misc fastener drawers and trays for a knob with set screw you could tighten down on the "D" flat side. If all that fails I would use a wing nut and JB weld it on.

_

Wing nut and JB Weld! You are a genius. If i can't find any knobs this an excellent alternative.

It just would not be worth ordering one with s&h. Thrift store might have a box of parts, that could work. SB said JB and a wingnut, I am thinking one of those screw wire connectors and JB. The larger one have wings too.

220px-Wire_nuts.jpg

I like the wingnut . Stainless oversize it would look cool. Tractor Supply sells bolts nuts washers etc. By weight

Last edited:
It just would not be worth ordering one with s&h. Thrift store might have a box of parts, that could work. SB said JB and a wingnut, I am thinking one of those screw wire connectors and JB. The larger one have wings too.

220px-Wire_nuts.jpg

Or check with a local music store. They carry replacement knobs for guitars, amps, etc.

Can anyone think of an alternative for the dial on a single burner Coleman stove. I lost the plastic knob that turns the gas on and off. It has the "D" on the end of the stem. A pair of pliers works pretty good and that is what I am doing now. New ones have a screw to keep them. One could order from Coleman but that would not make sense on a $15 stove.

Your in DFW area, right? I would try Ace Hardware, Elliots Hardware, Turner Hardware (the one on Josey and Valleyview in Carrollton - name may have changed), and Grainger. Just a thought.

I used a knob from an electrical timer for a bathroom fan.

We have an electric stove top that has a knob with the "D" shaft hole. Its a Kenmore. Try a used appliance store or repair center.

We have an electric stove top that has a knob with the "D" shaft hole. Its a Kenmore. Try a used appliance store or repair center.

try a d-knob off a dimmer switch. Each switch comes with a white and an ivory knob, so there's always a spare.

Some older car stereo knobs are D type also. Older Toyotas for sure. Any old tape deck knob will work also.

Yesterday I was cleaning out the garage and found an old space heater with two D knobs. Tossed the space heater and put the knob on the burner - success!

First cold front the wife is going to be looking for her heater...:duck:

I never did get a new camp pillow. Never found the $5 Academy one. Any other recommendations?

10094241.jpg

Yes I did see that online this morning but passed because it was not inflatable.

Personally, do not think it is not a good either.
The $5 is discontinued. Was trying to find one for a friend. No had any left anywhere in US I could access.

Any you are correct, you can find similar, but for much more money. Good luck

Fiddled with a tarp yesterday to shield the mower while some garage projects are under way. I did climb under it and can say that it works and was a great opportunity to relearn how to tie knots. It was set up in 5 minutes and other than bug protection would be great to cheap lightweight camping.

As far as cheap, this was one of those 5'+X8' free Harbor Freight coupon tarps, some old clothesline rope and leftover stakes from previous tents. Free.

I knew a guy that tarp camped off his bike across the US.

29907453274_7e6d857679_z.jpg

Too bad I can't take the grass.

Last edited:
Fiddled with a tarp yesterday to shield the mower while some garage projects are under way. I did climb under it and can say that it works and was a great opportunity to relearn how to tie knots. It was set up in 5 minutes and other than bug protection would be great to cheap lightweight camping.

As far as cheap, this was one of those 5'+X8' free Harbor Freight coupon tarps, some old clothesline rope and leftover stakes from previous tents. Free.

I knew a guy that tarp camped off his bike across the US.

29907453274_7e6d857679_z.jpg

Too bad I can't take the grass.

A second free tarp for the ground? My first "pup" in scouts was a canvas tent with no floor, netting or a zipper door... Smelled really bad.

If you're a hammock camper, Costco has a down throw of decent quality for $20 that fairly easily can be converted to an underquilt for your hammock.
I have one that I used on a backpacking trip last weekend. I forgot to take pics, but it worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back