• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The 2011 Iron Butt Rally...

From the keyboard of Super Meese...

I had cut down to Highway 50, fueled up in Ely, and was heading west as the evening cooled. Next thing I remember is nurses and ER-types hovering over me as I faded in and out. Then I awoke in a hospital bed, with my wife and dear friends looking rather concerned and relieved at the same time.

Subsequent investigation shows that an animal, most likely a coyote, ran directly into my path, most likely nailing the front tire and upsetting the bike. I was thrown from the bike, where my ATGATT did its job and protected me from the worst of possibilities.

Ken

Another friend who completed the IB race last week, had TWO deer strikes on another IB sponsored event a month ago, even though he had a complete HID system. Then before that ride, he hit a BLACK bear near Virginia towards the evening, then soon after that he hit gravel in Arkansas on a turn near Eureka Springs and sustained major soft tissue injury.

eek2.gif

He completed the IB last week, on a replaced ST after his other one was toast. There has been a lot of great rider's be seriously injured hitting critters, especially at dusk or dawn. Wasn't there some famous dude called Larry Grodsky who hit another animal somewhere in Texas?

coyote2small.jpg

Coyotes have a smaller profile and tend to camouflage easier so it may have been harder to spot on the periphery.

The question for most of us is when will it happen?

RB

Wasn't there some famous dude called Larry Grodsky who hit another animal somewhere in Texas?
Yes. Larry hit a deer while riding a KZ1000P that he had just purchased. He wrote the safety column for Rider Magazine for years. It just goes to show that no matter how good you are, no matter how much you practice, when it's your time... it's your time.

Paul and I made the start and the finish of this year's IBR. I love to take pictures so I took a LOT ; ) Hope I got every rider.

I've posted pictures of the start and finish starting here:
http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/...r 1 - Tx to MT/2011 Iron Butt Rally Prequel/

On the right side of the page are more links in subgroups to the actual start and finish.

I tried to capture all of the riders and I am happy to share with you all if I captured part of your adventure. Feel free to download any photo you especially like. Photo credit would be appreciated.

I really treasure each photo I have from 2003 and this is my way of giving back.

Voni
sMiling

We're there.

Just back from a rousing game of basketball. Good thing we're taller than they are!

Voni
sMiling

2011_IBR_art_small.jpg

Copied from Lisa's post on ironbutt.org
http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6685&PN=1

We have received lots of mail from members interested in purchasing a poster of the 2011 Iron Butt Rally artwork. We are doing a one-time order of these prints which are roughly 26” x 28”, printed on luster photographic paper and suitable for framing. Information from the printer: These posters are water and scratch resistant - no need to laminate or spray coat to protect the print in most applications.

Whether or not you rode in the rally, if you would like to order one or more posters, you may go to paypal.com and Send Money to paypal@ironbutt.com

Each poster: 50.00
Mailing - US: 15.00

The mailing cost is for one or more posters going to the same address in the US. For those of you outside the US, I will be happy to get shipping costs for you. Just drop me an email before ordering. lisa@ironbutt.com

Orders must be placed NO LATER THAN August 25!

Back