• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Snowbird in Kerrville until March 30 anyone day ride?

Reaction score
First Name
John
Have been going solo and curious if others nearby interested in day ride(s)? On KTM 350. Cruises fine 60-65 on pavement (goes 80). Have GPS and Hill Country tracks. Really enjoying the roads and all the critters.
1st time riding area. 350 is fun but higher mileage will be easier next March when I bring my Wee instead. John

:tab Have you been out to the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum on 187 yet? It is a few miles North of Vanderpool before you cross the Sabinal River (if you are heading South). Lots of really cool bikes there! You can get gas/food in Vanderpool.

:tab There are some fun roads over to Lukenbach as well. Head East out of FM 1341 toward Comfort. Right after you cross under I-10, head North on Center Point Rd., also called Hasenwinkle Ranch Rd. Run that all the way up to Bear Creek and head Southeast to Hwy 87. Head South a short bit to Grapecreek Rd., and continue East to Old Fred/Old San Antonio Rd., and go North to Grapetown Rd. Head East into Lukenbach.

:tab If you don't mind water crossings, head South on Hwy 16 toward Bandera. About midway between Medina and Bandera, look for Kyle Ranch Rd., on the right. It cuts down South to FM 470 just East of Tarpley. In Tarpley, head South out of town a short way (not quite a mile) on FM 462. Veer right onto Ross Rd. You will come to a relatively wide but shallow crossing for Williams Creek. Stay on Ross Rd. It becomes CR 121 and continues South across Wards Creek. Head West on CR 211, also called Utopia Rd. You will eventually reach CR 111 and there may be a few creek crossings before you get there depending on how much rain there has been in the area. Head North on CR 111, also called Seco Valley Rd. You will reach Flatrock Crossing shortly after turning North. It is usually shallow, but can be SLICK! There are several more crossings as you head North to FM 470. Once back on 470, you can backtrack through Tarpley to Kerrville, or you can head West to 187 and run back up to 337 then 16 or up to 39 and come into Kerrville from the West.

:tab If you get up North of Fredericksburg on 16, you can do the Willow City Loop. If they are blooming, the Blue Bonnets are usually pretty incredible. If you go on a weekend, it will be JAM PACKED with long lines of cars and cruisers. Do it on a weekday if you can. When you come back out on 16, head North to CR 315. It will be on the right. Head East to CR 308 and hang a right down to CR 310. Continue East to CR 310a and go South to FM 3347. Head Southwest on 3347 and it becomes Althaus-Davis Rd. There is a small but SLICK water crossing on Althaus-Davis that can sneak up on you if you are hauling! It is in a corner and under the trees. It is only a few feet across, but it is slick concrete. You will come out on FM 1323, head over to FM 1631 and run it Southwest back into Fredericksburg. This whole loop is very scenic and should be loaded with wildflowers in the coming weeks.

:tab I wish I could come ride with you, but I've got way to much other stuff going on for the next month or two... :twitch:

Tks Tourmeister will ck out!

Couple days ago i was west of the enchanted rock on ride of same. Came upon a large Rattlesnake sunning in the road...he never budged. Got pics but unable to post. I'm more careful taking pee breaks now:trust:

I wrote the Luken track down and found the other two in Ride 8 Day in Dirt and Ride 7 James River. I am slowly transitioning from Mapsource to Bcamp and found I can take the .gpx files in basecamp, switch to tracks, and filter points down to 400 so it doesn't come up short on my 60csx. This took a lot of time figuring out because I was switching them to .gdb in map source and there were too many points and couldnt get to run as route anyway.

All our Great Lakes Dual Sport rides are offered on roll chart and tracks. Experienced riders run roll chart and verify with glance at gps. Several get $Odo$ with hundreths (the roll chart has 100ths and resets every 10 miles to help with odo difference from layout bike). Makes navigating part of the skill. Some guys run roll chart only. Some only gps. The racers tend to run only gps. The racers tend to overshoot turns/turning around... An event weekend is at a CG and sat (longer) and Sun (shorter) usually like 120/90. DRz is the heaviest bike you want (no one keeps them long) cause of sand sand sand. You run full knobs like michilen s12/Ktrack master. Maybe 15 mile pavement. When it rains conditions get better. I put 10k on a 2008 xc 300 2 stroke but I'm older now...

Last edited:
:tab I wish I could come ride with you, but I've got way to much other stuff going on for the next month or two... :twitch:

Holy crap! That's an informative reply!

I will ride with you sometime, snowbird!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Post up if you see a lot of Bluebonnets and flowers. We are wanting to hit that area in the week in the next two weeks.

:tab I think if you leave the files as tracks (GPX) you won't have to worry about how many points are in them. The point limitation only applies to GDB files where you are trying to use the guidance/routing features of the GPS. Even on my Montana 600, that limitation is a pain.

:tab I build my routes in Basecamp. Once finalized, I convert them to tracks. Then I export the tracks to my GPS, NOT the route file! I then go to the track manager on the GPS, pick the one I want, set it to display on the map, set it to bright red so I can see it easily, and start riding. Note that none of the guidance/routing features work when you do it this way, but I don't care about any of that. I just want to see the line on the map and not have it move around because the GPS thinks I have missed a turn or need to go a different way.

:tab One benefit of doing this is that I see my intended route ALL THE TIME. If I need to, I can use the routing features of the GPS to figure out how far it might be from where I am to some other place and not have to worry about that messing up my track. It is always there even when the GPS over lays a calculated route.

Tourmeister: Thanks for the track suggestions. Today I rode the Luckenback track. Excellent paved roads and scenery. Rode out and back.

:tab I think if you leave the files as tracks (GPX) you won't have to worry about how many points are in them. The point limitation only applies to GDB files where you are trying to use the guidance/routing features of the GPS. Even on my Montana 600, that limitation is a pain.

:tab I build my routes in Basecamp. Once finalized, I convert them to tracks. Then I export the tracks to my GPS, NOT the route file! I then go to the track manager on the GPS, pick the one I want, set it to display on the map, set it to bright red so I can see it easily, and start riding. Note that none of the guidance/routing features work when you do it this way, but I don't care about any of that. I just want to see the line on the map and not have it move around because the GPS thinks I have missed a turn or need to go a different way.

:tab One benefit of doing this is that I see my intended route ALL THE TIME. If I need to, I can use the routing features of the GPS to figure out how far it might be from where I am to some other place and not have to worry about that messing up my track. It is always there even when the GPS over lays a calculated route.

Another advantage to just setting tracks to "show on map" is that you can turn on multiple tracks to see overlapping and possibly alter your route on the fly.

Back