• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Magnetic sump plug

Davoxt

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Nozzle
Fitted this sump plug at 200km, photo taken at my 600km service.
Its amazing what get through the oil filter of my 2006 DR650.

Attachments

• IMG_4030-01.jpg
    IMG_4030-01.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 138
I wonder how much of that might never even get to the filter?

Especially if it's a "wet-sump" motor, where the oil supply is stored IN the crankcase, rather than in a separate container elsewhere on the machine (dry-sump) ... just conjecture -- is the subject plug here out of the crankcase of a wet-sump engine? Would the condition of this magnetic oil sump plug be most feared on a dry-sump oil bottle, rather than out of the bottom of the crankcase of a wet sump motor? Most all BMW's, modern Ducati's, Honda's, etc. would be "wet-sump", whereas most previous-generation British (Meriden-built Triumphs, Small Heath BSA's, Nortons, etc.) and '70's Honda CB 750's, would be "dry-sump".

At 200km, I would expect to see some filings from the engine running in. Mag plugs are a must IMO.

I fitted the sump plug after i changed the oil and filter at 200km.
The photo is at the 600km oil and filter change.

I reckon you'll be seeing those shavings for a while. That mag plug will do your motor lots of good down the road.

I just put one in the BMW a few days ago. In 3,000 miles we'll see how it looks.

Looks pretty normal for what came out of my KTM's the first few changes, a lot less now though.

How'd you find the right plug for the dr650? Is it the same size/thread as on some more common model? I see lots of mags on eBay, etc, but no mention of the dr650.

Back