• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What about classes?

Valker said:
Bonster, I have corresponded with the company in question and sent them a copy (your name removed) of the private email you sent me. The owner was very concerned. He said he has never had an instructor by that name working for him. There is also not an instructor in Texas by that name. Could you please contact the company again, and ask to speak with David? You might have to leave a voice mail, but he WILL get back with you. He is very concerned about customer satisfaction. Please contact him and let us (or just me) know how it goes. There are many folks trying to get this straightened out.
Thanks,
Eric

Interesting - perhaps that was why he hesitated so much when he told me his last name. Very weird. If you will PM me David's last name, I would appreciate it - there was a David who was my instructor, but it is a common name so I want to make sure I talk to the right gentleman.

Incidentally, it was a good class. David answered all my (and others') questions, even if he had to look it up or consult other students. I did have fun, and I learned a lot. I'm heading out today to look at used bikes.

Thanks for all your help, Eric. I sure hope we can figure out what happened so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

bon

bushwhacker said:
How is the Class going. Is it fun yet?

-

It was fun!

And I even got my first scars - hard rain started right before we took the "quick stop" part of the exam. That whole water thing is a little weirder than I thought. It took me a while to understand what I was doing on the ground. I still passed and even made 100% on the written test! Heading out today to look at used bikes.

bon

Bonster said:
I still passed and even made 100% on the written test! Heading out today to look at used bikes.
Congrats!
talk008.gif

Do you have an idea what bike you want yet?

(inquiring minds want to know) :mrgreen:

I'm looking for something like a Kaw or a Yamaha in the 250-650cc range. Standard. Cheap.

Know of anything?

bon

Bonster said:
Standard. Cheap.

Know of anything?

bon

Wow, sounds like you're describing some of my LONG time single buddies. :rofl:

Congrats on doing well in the class & welcome to the fun world of riding.

:tab Check those tires for cracks in the sidewalls. Also, check the hoses for the brakes for small cracks as well. Look for signs of oil film on the forks as this would indicate leaking fork seals. Check the thickness of the brake pads visually. You should have more than a 1/16" of pad left or they need changing. Often, the pads will have a few small slits in them. As long as the rest of the pad is thicker than the bottom of the slits (ie: the slits are still visible), you should be good. If you have someone going with you that knows anything about engines, pulling a spark plug might be a good idea. That can tell you a lot about how the engine is running and what kind of condition it is in. Not trying to scare you, just want you to be aware of the things to look for on old bikes. I have seen quite a few that looked like great deals until you began to consider all the money required to fix everything. Some people's ideas of "ready to ride and needs nothing" are quite different from mine!

:tab Lastly, I don't know how you intend to pay for the bike. However, I would not take a money order or cashier's check made out for the full amount. This puts you in a take it or leave it position. If you get there and the bike is not what you expected, it is harder to bargain down the price if you still want the bike. Also, taking cash could be dangerous, particularly if you go alone (which I would strongly recommend against). For only $1000, I would see about doing a money order for $750 and then either cash or traveller's checks for the other $250 in $20 increments. This gives you much more room for haggling over the price once you have seen the bike in person.

Nice bike, Bonnie! Thanks to you and restorganize for bringing her to bike night! Maybe you can post the pics you took? Nice sound by the way. She sounds very smooth, warm and clean. I hope you have a lot of fun and maybe one day we can all go on a ride.

Faylaricia said:
Nice bike, Bonnie! Thanks to you and restorganize for bringing her to bike night!
So, you've seen it already?

Congrats are in order!
(that was pretty fast!)
talk008.gif

Back