• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chain Adjustment on DRZ400 for newbie

Reaction score
OK...my chain has loosened up and I need to adjust it and its about **** time I do something myself.

I usually let the shop do it when the bikes in there anyways...but I dont plan on it goin into the shop soon so here my question....How do you adjust the chain? My bike didnt come with a manual, I need to go buy one. There is a threaded bolt with a nut on it by the rear hub inside the swingarm...isnt this the adjustment tool? unscrew the nut a little and adjust the bolt?

Loosen the axle and move the wheel to the point where the chain is at the correct tightness/tension while making sure the wheel is straight (in proper alignment) and then adjust the threaded bolts out to the axle. Once completed and alignment is again checked, tighten the nut on the threaded to bolt to help keep it from moving. Recheck for correct adjustment and alignment, fire the puppy up and go for a ride.

Just remember, chains on dirt bikes (yes, the DRZ is pretty much a dirt bike) like to be run pretty darn loose because of the suspension travel. The chain on my WR looks like it is about to fall off when the rear suspension is fully extended.

If you over-tighten, you will just put tremendous stress on the entire drive line. I've seen countershaft bearing fail due to over tight chains and/or belts.

Loosen the axle and move the wheel to the point where the chain is at the correct tightness/tension while making sure the wheel is straight (in proper alignment) and then adjust the threaded bolts out to the axle. Once completed and alignment is again checked, tighten the nut on the threaded to bolt to help keep it from moving. Recheck for correct adjustment and alignment, fire the puppy up and go for a ride.

DRZ is a snail adjuster instead of adjusting bolts.

So, just loosen the axle bolt and rotate each adjuster. They have numbers on them, so if the frame isn't bent you just need to have each on the same position. Then tighten the axle bolt and put on a new cotter pin. I just can't remember the freeplay for the chain. Something like a 3/4" to 1" from center (or 1.5" to 2" of total play). Measured at the end of the chain slider on the top of the swingarm.

So, just loosen the axle bolt and rotate each adjuster. They have numbers on them, so if the frame isn't bent you just need to have each on the same position. Then tighten the axle bolt and put on a new cotter pin. I just can't remember the freeplay for the chain. Something like a 3/4" to 1" from center (or 1.5" to 2" of total play). Measured at the end of the chain slider on the top of the swingarm.

OK cool. Maybe I can have confirmation from someone, I'll be working on this later this afternoon after work.

+1 That's how mine is adjusted.

Just remember, chains on dirt bikes (yes, the DRZ is pretty much a dirt bike) like to be run pretty darn loose because of the suspension travel. The chain on my WR looks like it is about to fall off when the rear suspension is fully extended.

If you over-tighten, you will just put tremendous stress on the entire drive line. I've seen countershaft bearing fail due to over tight chains and/or belts.

Thanks for the heads up/reminder...I was going to adjust mine and probably would have went to tight.

Back