• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Non ethanol gas

I saw that earlier. I looked up the place and the 93 octane is marine grade - not sure exactly what that means, but it's $54 per pail. Not sure how much is in a pail. The next step up is 110 race fuel for $8/gallon.

I think most of their fuel is race fuel. I just want 90ish octane non ethanol.
I'll call them tomorrow.
You need to update your bike list...

Some auto parts stores can also order gallon cans of 94 VP. Not for cars of course. Just your lawn mower and garden tools. Hehe

Dont know the price.

Sent from my new fangled Morse code machine.

Home Depot sells the lawn mower gas also, probably others. Non Ethanol around here is about 70 miles away. A guy I know has a 55 gallon drum with pump that he goes and fills up when needed. Really a shame they make it so difficult :(

Another solution depending on how much you might use.
Get race fuel and mix w good gas.
I do this often as i dont ride as much as i used to and keep it somewhat local.
So usually have 5-10 gallons of mix laying around.

Sometimes i go w a friend to a small airport where he has a helicopter.
We just back up to the pump and grab a few jugs.

No questions asked.
He says i could do it on my own but i have yet to try.

The TruFuel at Home Depot is about $23/gallon.

The place in Conroe sells 93 octane ethanol-free gas in 5 gallon pails for $54 + tax.

Ouch!

I just want 90ish octane non ethanol.

Depending on how bad you want it, you could remove the ethanol from 93 octane premium and end up with 91 octane straight gasoline. Add about 10% water to the 93 and shake it. The ethanol will precipitate out in a few seconds and settle to the bottom of the container.

Found some at Crockett Farm and Fuel. He sells 93 octane non-ethanol at the pump for $2.79/gallon.

That's a good price. In Austin, 91 pure gas is about $4.50, sold at a boat store in Lakeway.

This past weekend, I was paying $2.80 for 91 pure gas up in Eureka Springs, AR.

Check out Wal-mart
The newer stores in our area have non-ethanol fuel

Depending on how bad you want it, you could remove the ethanol from 93 octane premium and end up with 91 octane straight gasoline. Add about 10% water to the 93 and shake it. The ethanol will precipitate out in a few seconds and settle to the bottom of the container.

This is the ticket right here; phase separation. I recommend using a hanging fuel bottle. The water and ethanol will sink to the bottom and all you have to do is drain it off from there. Blammo, ethanol-free fuel for $2.10 a gallon.

I filled up my 15 gallon tank in Ponca Arkansas yesterday for 2.40 a gallon . The buckyees in Waller has non ethanol for 3.21 a gallon when I looked a month ago . I won't pay a dollar a gallon more for it since it's cheaper to make than crap gas .

Check out Wal-mart
The newer stores in our area have non-ethanol fuel

This^^ While it's not open yet, they are building a new Murphy's at our Walmart and the signage on the fence states they will be selling ethanol free when opened.

Be careful where you pump real gas into a licensed vehicle. Some pumps have a small sign "for off highway use only" or similar. The sign may not be on a pump, but on a window of the building or awning pole, 30 feet away. Still counts! No fuel taxes collected. Put it in cans and take it home. Around the lakes there are LEOs watching. Fines are high, confiscations are common.

Even LL avgas has too much lead for most any street legal vehicle these days.

Specialty fuels without ethanol other than avgas are nothing special, maybe a little preservative or such. Stupid to pay the big bucks.

Tim is right; very easy to separate ethanol from gasoline. The process is called "phase separation". Measure your fuel, add water, stir, let settle, add a little more water stir, and let settle again. Make sure water/ethanol level is no higher the 2nd time than the amount of water you added the 2nd time. Sometimes fuel gets a double dose of ethanol and you actually have E20. The 2nd treatment will catch that. It really doesn't matter how much water you add to gasohol to remove ethanol. I use about a quart per gallon and it gets out even the double doses. One shot, add toluene, in the bike it goes.

Restore the full volume of fuel you started with using toluene. It is a couple points higher octane than ethanol and will bring the octane back up and a bit more. Want a little more octane for that screamer? Add a bit more toluene. Many high octane fuels used to be 30% or more toluene out of the pump. Formula 1 cars used to run on the stuff almost pure, with just a bit of non-fuel mixed in to drop the octane 3 points. They called it "rocket fuel". Some paint thinners and removers are 100% toluene, so if you need a source, ... .

The water/ethanol mess has but one purpose, it makes pretty good weed killer. It will also get you drunk, if you can handle the gasoline smell.

Be careful where you pump real gas into a licensed vehicle. Some pumps have a small sign "for off highway use only" or similar. The sign may not be on a pump, but on a window of the building or awning pole, 30 feet away. Still counts! No fuel taxes collected. Put it in cans and take it home. Around the lakes there are LEOs watching. Fines are high, confiscations are common.

Even LL avgas has too much lead for most any street legal vehicle these days.

Specialty fuels without ethanol other than avgas are nothing special, maybe a little preservative or such. Stupid to pay the big bucks.

Tim is right; very easy to separate ethanol from gasoline. The process is called "phase separation". Measure your fuel, add water, stir, let settle, add a little more water stir, and let settle again. Make sure water/ethanol level is no higher the 2nd time than the amount of water you added the 2nd time. Sometimes fuel gets a double dose of ethanol and you actually have E20. The 2nd treatment will catch that. It really doesn't matter how much water you add to gasohol to remove ethanol. I use about a quart per gallon and it gets out even the double doses. One shot, add toluene, in the bike it goes.

Restore the full volume of fuel you started with using toluene. It is a couple points higher octane than ethanol and will bring the octane back up and a bit more. Want a little more octane for that screamer? Add a bit more toluene. Many high octane fuels used to be 30% or more toluene out of the pump. Formula 1 cars used to run on the stuff almost pure, with just a bit of non-fuel mixed in to drop the octane 3 points. They called it "rocket fuel". Some paint thinners and removers are 100% toluene, so if you need a source, ... .

The water/ethanol mess has but one purpose, it makes pretty good weed killer. It will also get you drunk, if you can handle the gasoline smell.

Good write up!
You wouldnt happen to have a vid of the process posted somewhere would ya?

I saw a vid of a guy getting dye out of diesel by filtering through kitty litter.
Just throwing that out there. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good write up!
You wouldnt happen to have a vid of the process posted somewhere would ya?

I saw a vid of a guy getting dye out of diesel by filtering through kitty litter.
Just throwing that out there. Hehe

You don't need a video. I bought a 5 gallon gas can and had a pipe nipple welded in the bottom seam opposite the spout. There is a brass valve screwed to the nipple and a clear plastic hose to a gas can. It sits on a shelf sloped down in the back. Dump in 4 gallons of gasohol, 1 gallon of water, and stir well with a clean wood dowel (metal stirrer might spark). Cap to prevent stink. Let sit a half hour or so, slightly open valve and watch clear water/ethanol drain. When clear changes color, that's gas. Close the valve.

The rest of the gas in the tank is ethanol free, about 2 octane lower than before. Subtract initial volume of water from volume of water/ethanol mix to get volume of ethanol. Dump in that much toluene to restore octane.

OR start with gasohol 2 octane higher than you need, you will end up with the octane you need. This is the easiest and usually cheapest way.

OR add more toluene for more octane. If you need the math for that, ask.

Finally, run gasoline into clean container with no hole in the bottom for safety concerns.

I marked my stir stick for measuring. Close enough.

Right on!
Thanks for those tips.
Will be playing with this for sure.
Only need math for "rocket fuel".
Lol

Back