• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Challenge 2009 and beyond - Historical Marker Run

Re: Challenge 2009 and beyond

Gilk51 said:
and one of my favorites (from the ride to find it):

This bit from that marker is somewhat chilling....

"Though the community of Alameda had dwindled to only four homes near the cemetary by 1936, the cemetary continued to thrive."

:eek2:

Something else to think about, putting the information like shown below would help others find it also.

If you look at the links that David is adding in the first post, that information is included in a lot of them, as well as additional information. However, the Maypearl Cemetery marker has incomplete information - looks like you can add that via the search site.

Here's one that was on the grounds of the Goliad County courthouse:

goliad_tornado_4586q.JPG

It looks like marker #2207 (if I have figured out what Maverick did). link

This one is NOT a historical marker but indicates that the courthouse is a historical building: :scratch:

gozales_courthouse_4598q.JPG

And this one looks like #7236. I liked the placement of this one since I got the county name and the front of the building behind it.

navarro_county_courthouse_2793q.JPG

All of these were collected on other treks, either looking for courthouses or some of the "Everywhere in Texas" locations (the two cemeteries).
I have bike pics to go with the primary search (building or sign, just not the historical marker).

alameda_3484q.JPG

maypearl_cemetery_2513q.JPG

-------

Oh, I also found this other thread about markers: see here

If it's ok with everyone, I'll pull bits and pieces from it and incorporate into this thread. There was a lot more than just markers in that thread.

Marker #: 1884
Marker Location: 420 S. Jefferson Street, Clarendon
82152502_Cjkse-L.jpg

Somewhere between Vega & Dalhart, TX
Disclaimer: Where the state says this maker is located is not where I found it. I found it out in the middle of no-where stretch of road between Vega & Dalhart. Maybe there is 2 markers that say the same text, but I can't find 2 markers listed. :shrug:
Marker #: 2016
Marker Location: From Adrian take IH-40 four miles west. Marker is in grove of trees near picnic area, just east of mile marker 14.
82152531_wSPd3-L.jpg

Marker #: 3975
Marker Location: From Del Rio take US 90 about 45-50 mile West to bridge. In roadside park - Entrance off of US 90 W leads to picnic area/park.
Pecos River Bridge Overlook (someone should have a better shot)
142145401_EBxJR-L.jpg

Marker #: 13174
Marker Location: Langtry, Old city park site, Torres Street, across from TxDOT Visitors Center
142337827_dbK8e-L.jpg

Last edited:
Marker Number: 2384
Marker Title:Harmonson Rancho
Address:US 380, E of Newcastle
County: Young

historical_marker.JPG

Cool idea. Maybe it'll inspire me to stop a little more often.

I vote for one rule. The text must be legible in the photo!! Seriously, I want to read these things :-P

I vote for one rule. The text must be legible in the photo!! Seriously, I want to read these things :-P

If Maverick includes the links to the marker site in post #1, all the text is there.

Sometimes it is hard to get a good, readable photo without making it too big. My originals are 3000x2000, so I cut them down to 1/4 dimension of that (1/16 in size).

I recall reading somewhere there are over 10,000 markers in Texas.

Oh, here it is. The number is actually over 13,000.

I looked a bit to see if there is a list by number but didn't see anything. It would be interesting to see where marker number 1 is. I would guess somewhere with very early Texas history like San Antonio, Austin, or San Jacinto.

You can get lists by county. Anybody know of a list by number?

It would be interesting to see where marker number 1 is. I would guess somewhere with very early Texas history like San Antonio, Austin, or San Jacinto.

Probably somewhere in the home district of the politician who pushed hardest for these historical markers . . .

I have the book. In the Foreword, they admit that they don't list all the markers, because the book would be too big.

I only bagged four today. :trust: I admit I passed two because, well one was another Baptist church and the other one, I forget why.

Title: Pleasant Grove School & Cemetery
Directions: 6.4 miles west of Winnsboro on CR 4988
Marker #: 5499009017
County: Wood

200901ETX002.jpg

Title: Site of Fraser Brick Company
Directions: on US 69, about 3 mi. east of Emory
Marker #: 5379010858
County: Rains

200901ETX025.jpg

Title: Jefferson-Quitman Road
Directions: FM2454 and Mule Deer Road? (not exactly sure on this one)
Marker #: 5459011321
County: Upshur

200901ETX022.jpg

Title: Clearwater Baptist Church
Directions: 7 mi. N on FM 1448
Marker #: 5159012925
County: Franklin
Comment: They got their money's worth. Good grief.

200901ETX018.jpg

Richardson's Bluff (FM 105 near intersection with US96, Evadale, SW Jasper County)

Marker #5241010463

+30° 20' 58.20", -94° 4' 37.56"

3161759714_c2ec4b2bff_b.jpg

With the bike:

3161760862_2b829a5b73_b.jpg

Uploading the photos now to my photobucket account, already got the marker numbers for the ones that didn't have the official ones and will cross reference on the 9key site and add to the initial post. Will take me a bit to edit.

Great job guys, I'll probably pick up a few tomorrow while I'm running around.

Keep them coming.

David

Sorry Guys, having some issues here. Had my browser crash so uploading the pics that didn't make it and the 9key site is having some trouble with a few of the markers. I'll finish up what I have and try the others tomorrow sometime.

David

Sorry Guys, having some issues here. Had my browser crash so uploading the pics that didn't make it and the 9key site is having some trouble with a few of the markers. I'll finish up what I have and try the others tomorrow sometime.

David

My 80 year old clock works just fine. I think the techies just reset the 2000 crash to reset in 2009. But with the Hist. markers game I like it a little better than the FM game and it can actuliy complement both games. After reading some of my local marker facts I learned a little about the area I live in. And plan to do some local riding to explore some more. pics. to come soon. I can not wait to try some cold weather gear I resently purchased, at least when it gets cold. A friend sent me this today!!!!!

My first bike was a Suzuki, as well was my Dirt Bike, good stuff.

My XS1100 is currently hibernating(-12 actual outside).

Where you working these days?.

My 80 year old clock works just fine. I think the techies just reset the 2000 crash to reset in 2009. But with the Hist. markers game I like it a little better than the FM game and it can actuliy complement both games. After reading some of my local marker facts I learned a little about the area I live in. And plan to do some local riding to explore some more. pics. to come soon. I can not wait to try some cold weather gear I resently purchased, at least when it gets cold. A friend sent me this today!!!!!

My first bike was a Suzuki, as well was my Dirt Bike, good stuff.

My XS1100 is currently hibernating(-12 actual outside).

Where you working these days?.

nah, it was just a glitch with the photobucket site. I rebooted and it's all good. the difficulty with the 9key site was it was looking at a different name for the site and having issues. Go figure with that much data. But I was able to wrangle around it and get the last couple.

Look forward to your contributions. :rider:

David

A few sites have been having trouble . Maybe the photos from the holidays being uploading.

This will get some cross posting from the ghost towns section too. Great idea!

DSC00216.jpg

Got a new one today, & had a great lunch while I was at it...

:eat: :clap:

BatCaveAlamoSpringsCafe001-1-1.jpg

From here:

BatCaveAlamoSpringsCafe002.jpg

The old tunnel, which is now a bat cave
387_smiley_face_batman.gif
:

BatCaveAlamoSpringsCafe003.jpg

And lunch:

BatCaveAlamoSpringsCafe011.jpg

The Alamo Springs Cafe. If you haven't been there, it's a very nice ride to get there & a great burger once you arrive. They were voted best burger in Texas by somebody, at some point in the past.

Couple of links:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/wma/find_a_wma/list/?id=17

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55863-d106253-Reviews-Old_Tunnel_Wildlife_Management_Area-Fredericksburg_Texas.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alamo-springs-cafe-fredericksburg

(Warning, annoying "Tanji Patton" video review with audio, automatically plays when you visit this site)
http://www.alamospringscafe.com/

Last edited:
Back