• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heart of Texas Rally / RTE

L

lonestarrider

I have had this idea since I rode in an MTF RTE/ mini-rally during the Thanksgiving holiday. It was great way to spend the day on a motorcycle.

The HOT:trust: Rally will start May 1st 2009 in any location in Texas you want to start from and finish at the Hard 8 Resturant in Brady,Texas for a MnG.

I have put together a list of bonus loctaions that covers the entire state of Texas. So no matter where you start from you'll be able to gather up good bonus points as you make your way to Brady.
All you need for bonus gathering is a digital camera with a MMC/SD memory card and a Texas road map. Yes of a course your bike.
To get a good understanding about what this type of Rally is all about just think of it as a big scavenger hunt. Check out the following sites for more info IBA, Utah 1088 and this insight from LOE 24/1000 site.

If your interested just drop me a PM for an itinerary and rules.
There is no entry fee either.

Re: Heart of Texas Rally / RTE Update

Registration is now open for the Heart of Texas Rally/RTE.
Just send me an email at jstovall@amaonline.com with the following info:
Name:
Address:
Model and Make of the motorcycle you will be using for the Rally:
Email address:
Cell phone#:
Registration will close April 22, 2010

Rider List:
1. Duke Dixon: BMW R1200GS Adventure
2. Michael Hickman: Kawasaki Ninja 250
3. Daniel Wallander: BMW R90/6 OUT
4. Bob Naumann: BMW K1300GT
5. John Shell: Honda GL1800 OUT
6. David Guzman: Honda GL1800 or Kawasaki Concours 14
7. Howard Evans: Honda ST1300
8. Mark Driscoll: Honda GL1800 or Suzuki Vstrom 1000
9. Larry Supina: Yamaha Royal Star Venture
10. Patrick Supina: BWM K100RS
11. Daniel Suttle: Honda GL1800 OUT
12. Randy Bishop
13. David Whitford: GL1800 Honda
14. Jeremy Mann: HD 833 Sportster
15. Khris St.Clair: Honda ST1300 OUT
16. Al Landry: Suzuki DL1000
17. Jeff Edwards: BMW 650GS/Honda ST1300OUT
18. Billy Cooper: Honda ST1300 OUT
19. Martin Roth: Honda ST1100 OUT
20. Jim Howard: Yamaha FJR1300 AE
21. Charlie Seligman: Honda VT1100C OUT
22. Tim Chism: Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
23. Kevin Jolly: Ural patrol OUT
24. Brad & Carrie McGinnis: GL1800 Honda
25. Liz Mrak: Suzuki M50
26. Karl Zeurcher: Honda ST1300
27. Chris Mixon: Honda ST1300
28. Michael Cornette: BMW 1200
29. Gerald Doran: Kawasaki Vulcan LT 2000
30. Tom Wilmotte: BMW R1150RT
31. Justin Hines: Honda VFR
32. Ignacio Morales: Honda Goldwing

Last edited:
Heart of Texas 8Hr. Rally/RTE
Date: May 1st 2010
Time: 0700-1500 CDT, Dinner at 1700
No entry fee is required.

Start Location(s): Anywhere you choose in Texas or from alternate locations that will be listed on the Rally Bonus List.
Rally Finish Location: Best Western/Brady Inn,
2200 Bridge Street, Brady,TX
RTE Location: Hard 8 BBQ, 2010 South Bridge Street Brady, TX
This is an eight hour Rally that will begin at 0700 CDT Saturday, May 1st, 2010 and finish at 1500 CDT.

Requirements:
A street legal and properly functioning motorcycle.
Proof of insurance for the motorcycle that will be ridden during the Rally and a motorcycle endorsed license.
Proper riding attire: Helmets, gloves, boots and other protective gear.
Digital Camera with a removable memory card.
A good map of Texas showing Farm-to-Market Roads.
Not required but a GPS wouldn’t hurt.
And a willingness to put up with the wonderful Texas weather (can you feel the sarcasm).

How the Start will work:
At 0700 Central Standard Time on May 1st you will need to acquire a computer generated receipt with the correct date, time, and location from anywhere within the State of Texas or from the alternate locations to be revealed when the Bonus List is sent out on April 26th. This is to verify your start time. It is very important that you acquire this receipt as describe and it will be up to you to make sure it is printed with all the proper information as described on it. Showing up at the finish without it or the incorrect information or a time stamp of 0659, will cost you all your points.
Note: Alternate start locations will be within the State of Texas.

Collecting Bonuses:
A HOT Rally packet containing the Bonus List and Rally log sheet will be sent out via email April 26th. The information on the Bonus List will list each bonus with a number and name, GPS coordinates, directions, brief description, photograph requirement and point value.
An example:
Bonus 23: Arney School House.
GPS: N 34°41'13.93" W 102° 6'8.33"
Located at the intersection of Farm to Market Roads 168 and 1075, 10 miles north of Nazareth, TX on FM 168.

This one room school house was built in 1901 in the community of Arney, TX. The Arney Baptist Church, organized in 1905, held services at the school also. The school operated until 1953.
Photograph your bike and Rally number with the historical sign(s) and the front of the school building in the background.
750 points.

The Rally Log Sheet will need to be filled out at each bonus location by you with the following info: Arrival Time, Odometer reading, Bonus number and Point value.
So to collect a bonus, ride and go find it, record your info on the Rally Log sheet and a take a photo. Simple enough.

A note about your camera:
You will need to make sure that is capable of including a time/date stamp and the photograph quality is set at 2 mega-pixel. The memory card should be but not limited to a MMC/SD card. I will have a card reader that will be able to read the most common external memory devices, but if your camera has an out of the ordinary card you will need to furnish a way to post your pictures.

The Finish:
The Rally will finish at 1500 CDT at the Best Western/Brady Inn, 2200 Bridge Street, Brady, TX.
This means you will have all your completed paper work and memory card turned in to me by 1500 CDT. A second after 1500 CDT, penalty points will start to accrue. Fifteen minutes late and you will be DNF’ed.

A note on official Rally time:
The Atomic Clock is the official HOT Rally time.
Cell phones, the internet and GPS use the Atomic Clock. The fuel pump at your start location may not. So if your GPS or cell phone indicates 0700 and your receipt doesn’t, you better get another receipt. This can also work the opposite way and this is where the gentleman’s agreement comes in, do the right thing.

This is not a race!
Again… This is not a race!

Route planning and time management is the key to finishing the HOT Rally as with any other Rally.
The top five riders will be recognized at the RTE. The winner of the Heart of Texas Rally will be rewarded with a certificate proclaiming this accomplishment. :clap:

Last edited:
Sounds very interesting, I'll have to see about keeping May 1st open.

I've been looking over my list of bonus locations and after a few adjustment it is complete. All the regions of the State have plenty of bonuses to ride to and the closer to Brady you get the more the bonuses to be had.

Also in the what is new department, mark your calendars for theRoute 66 Rally/RTE March 20th. This will be a 12 hour rally and RTE put together by Michael Hickman. If it is anything like the Pop's Rally that he put together in November, it will be a ride not to miss. I know I'll be there.

What are the odds that all the high point value ones will be on the most direct route from The Woodlands/Conroe, TX to Brady, TX? :trust:

HOT Rally Update!
When the Rallypacket is sent out in April, the bonuses will be listed in GPX, .est (Streets and Trips) and old fashion written directions.

On a different note:
I just came across another 8 hour rally that is being held in Colorado this summer, the Two Bits Rally. You can run the rally any day you choose between June 1st and August 31st, but you will have to start in Morrison, Colorado. So if you have a summer trip planned for Colorado this would be a fun option to do while your there.

If you guys don't mind one of your Cajun neighbors coming to play I'll try to take Friday off and participate...

Al

I have sent an update to all that have signed up and the list of of the alternate start locations.
Alternate Start Locations List​

1. Orange, TX
GPS: N30 5 35.53 W93 46 1.43
Star Shop
3118 Edgar Brown Dr., 77630
409-886-2051
3000 Points

2. South Padre Island, TX
GPS: N26 5 3.07 W97 9 49.25
Stripes
331 Padre Blvd., 78597
956-761-1244
4000 Points

3. Anthony, TX
GPS: N 31 59 49.01 W106 34 47.27
Flying J Travel Center
3001 Mountain Pass Blvd., 79821
915-886-2737
5400 Points

4. Texline, TX
GPS: N36 22 27.36 W103 1 7.28
Allsups
425 U.S. 87 79087
(806) 362-4790
5800 Points

5. Texarkana, TX
GPS: N33 26 34.47 W94 5 43.46
Super Station
3737 New Boston Rd., 75501
903-832-0525
3000 Points

As you can see there are some big points to be had from the the outer regions of the state.:rider:

lol.

I can't wait until we really do get the bonus listings. The Rally Master sent out an update to our email this morning with a couple of good nuggets, like the non-location specific bonus'.

I have been struggling / debating with myself on starting at one of the start bonus locations, which I still might do, but if I do, time wise it will limit me pretty good on getting off the beaten path for the smaller bonus'. There is still a good bit of construction I-10, which worries me, as there is only 8 hours for this rally and it is 7 hours +/- a few min without any hic-ups to get to brady from the the Orange, TX start bonus.

Strategy is going to play big I believe in all of our route planning.

PS. Just in case there is any doubt, I was only kidding about already having the bonus listings.

Sounds like fun! I haven't been to a organized event since the 79 Jackpine Enduro. I didn't finish. Is there a long distance award? Anthony? Heck, that aint far.;-)

Back