• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Red river battleground tour

In, sounds like fun. However, I will be camping in my sweet hammock :)

Sweet hammock in Louisiana and Mississippi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The park road inside Vicksburg Military Park is 16 miles long, & has over 1,300 markers or other points of interest. Also there is a great museum / interpretive center.

The plan is to get there around on Day 2, & spend at least 4 hours there.

That would be cutting it short!

Vicksburg is flat out AWESOME! My brother and I spent a day there way back in 74. I have always wanted to go back.

Sounds fun and I have an open schedule for that weekend and have been wanting to ride to Vicksburg. Would it be possible to meet you along the way (I'm just N of Houston)?

Schedule conflict created, I'm in.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Well that will teach me to proofread. Dang phone thinks it's smarter than me (which may be at least partially true). Anyway, scheduling conflict worked out, so I'm in. However, my definition of camping out is a black and white tv in a cozy hotel room.[emoji12]

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Sounds fun and I have an open schedule for that weekend and have been wanting to ride to Vicksburg. Would it be possible to meet you along the way (I'm just N of Houston)?

Of course. We can give you a call when we leave.

For those wanting to join us en route, I figured to lay out a basic plan. Discussing things with Kevin recently, we are thinking of breakfast Friday morning in Waco @ Cappucino Cafe in Waco. Routing thru Naca-nowhere, we should be in Logansport for lunch. Our net stop after that should be Mansfiled State Park, & we should be there about 45 min or so. It's a neat place. Next stop after that should be right down Hwy 175 @ Pleasant Hill, where there is a small cemetery & commemorative park (about a 10 minute stop).

1). Cafe Cappuccino 903 N Hewitt Dr Hewitt, TX (leave by 8am?)

2). River Edge Restaurant 200 Highway 5, Logansport, LA about 1:00

There's a terrific crawdad/shrimp shack (with outside metal stand-&-eat tables) just before you go into Vicksburg that would be great for supper. C&M Crawfish 805 Carter St
Vidalia, LA

For those wanting to join us en route, I figured to lay out a basic plan. Discussing things with Kevin recently, we are thinking of breakfast Friday morning in Waco @ Cappucino Cafe in Waco. Routing thru Naca-nowhere, we should be in Logansport for lunch. Our net stop after that should be Mansfiled State Park, & we should be there about 45 min or so. It's a neat place. Next stop after that should be right down Hwy 175 @ Pleasant Hill, where there is a small cemetery & commemorative park (about a 10 minute stop).

1). Cafe Cappuccino 903 N Hewitt Dr Hewitt, TX (leave by 8am?)

2). River Edge Restaurant 200 Highway 5, Logansport, LA about 1:00

There's a terrific crawdad/shrimp shack (with outside metal stand-&-eat tables) just before you go into Vicksburg that would be great for supper. C&M Crawfish 805 Carter St
Vidalia, LA

Cafe Cappuccino is just down the road. Remind me and I'll meet y'all and wave as you ride away.

Not so much a Civil War history buff myself either, but just the beauty of the Vicksburg battleground is worth the trip. :dude:

I like history, not particularly a civil war buff either, but it’s going to have my butt in the saddle for three days and three states and some good food and company along the way.

Assuming I can get my final drive fixed by then haha

I like history, not particularly a civil war buff either, but it’s going to have my butt in the saddle for three days and three states and some good food and company along the way.

Oh yea!

I'm more fascinated with the people involved.

General Richard Taylor was former US President Zachary Taylors son (the only child of a US President to fight for the Confederacy). He had no formal military training (1 of the few top generals that never attended West Poing) but was so intelligent & well read that other generals asked his advice often. His memoirs are 1 of the top rated Civil War books. The Yankees vastly outnumbered his forces, but he whipped them good.

The Confederate leaders at Mansfield wanted to all be on horseback, so they could be easily identified by their men. 11 of the 14 were shot out of the saddle. Most Confederate casualties were in the opening attack at Mansfield. Once they met the Federal line & the Federals started running away, the Confederates chased them all the way back, but weren't strong enough to wipe them out.

When the leading Louisisana general was killed early (Mouton), he was replaced by a Frenchman who was travelling in America when the war broke out, & he sided with the Confederacy. The Confederate troops couldn't pronounce his name, so they affectionately called him Prince Polecat (for those unaware, "polecat" is what old country folks call a skunk). The Prince enjoyed he nickname. He would survive the war, & live to be the last surviving Confederate general. He also fought in the Franco-Prussian War of 1871, & named his son Mansfield after his greatest victory. There's a picture in the Mansfiled museum of Mansfield de Polignac visiting Mansfiled, LA for the 100 year anniversary of the battle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Armand_Jules_Marie,_Prince_de_Polignac

Last edited:
The smell has gotten bad ... 16-18 is my duty weekend.

I'm out.

One of my coworkers beat me to scheduling that Friday off. It will probably be a last minute decision for me to go or not.:ponder:

Back