• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Saturday Breakfast at The Blue Hanger

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
McDonald
I am just putting this up to remind everyone that a random group of riders meet at the Blue Hanger Cafe at the Northwest Regional Airport every Saturday for breakfast and to assess the world and local situation. The Blue Hanger has a website now, www.Bluehangarcafe.com They are located off FM 1171 between 35W and State hwy 377. The address is Roanoke, but it may be closer to Northlake.

This week-end there is a car show and a fly-in at the airport, so there may be more to see than usual. Unfortunately, they did not say what time events began, but it is supposed to be on both days this week-end. With the weather heating up, we will probably be out in front at the outside tables.

This is basically the old group that used to go to Andrews for breakfast. We just changed a couple of months ago, but I don't recall exactly why. We aren't wedded to any particular location. We just need a spot with some consistency so we know where to go. Before Andrews it was Christies, before that the Blue Hanger, and before that the Snooty Pig.

A couple of weeks ago we had the DEA come to breakfast and they were nice enough to not take any of us with them when they left. Apparently there is a DEA hanger at Alliance and they came over for breakfast and to tell stories about chasing drug runners in small planes.

There is always something going on, so come out out when you can. We meet at 8:00 (officially) but some guys always get in early. We generally last until 9:30 or 10:30 depending on the what is going on around the airport and the number of riders present.

This should be a link to a google map. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....055364,-97.230721&spn=0.032372,0.054502&z=14

Pat McDonald

I finally started raining in ernest here a couple of hours ago. I hope that the storm works through here by morning. The weather report on TV seems to indicate that tomorrow will be cloudy with some showers.
Last night the radar showed that my neighborhood was under a heavy storm and we barely got any sprinkles at all and that was hours after the TV said we were under a downpour.

Who knows?

Pat McDonald

What would we do without our Sweezel to insert some humor.

That's a good place to hang Jim, food is decent too. The FM revenue police are on a tear though.

Yes, it is still going. We have had some weather issues with the heavy rain for 2 out of the 3 last week-ends, but the hard core showed up. Within the past couple of weeks a old (but flyable) DC-3 has shown up parked in the grass near the Blue Hanger. I am told that this is not a DC-3, but the U.S. Navy variant, something called an RN4 or something. It's a DC-3 to me.

Anyway, come on out, have breakfast, and listen to all the awesome truths (otherwise known as lies) and vast wisdom that is imparted every Saturday.

Pat McDonald

Actually it's an R4D, the D stands for Douglas so it comes after the 4. A good crowd today. I went to Texhoma lake after breakfast so rode a hot 150 miles.

We had a good turn out today. I think I counted 18 riders, but then I am not an accountant ( as I keep telling the IRS). Anyway, we had an extra feature today with a synchronized team of small planes doing formation fly overs. There were some photographers on site and I think that the flying display may have been for them. All of the planes were similar with some painted up like WWII war birds. There was one that looked like a small P-51. There was also a Biplane that I hadn't seen before. Fancy paint with sunburst pattern wings and a real loud engine. There is another biplane that we see fairly often, a WWII Stearman trainer. They should have a dogfight. Both big loud and slow. Good scenery.

Pat McDonald

Actually it's an R4D, the D stands for Douglas so it comes after the 4. A good crowd today. I went to Texhoma lake after breakfast so rode a hot 150 miles.

You're right. Not sure why I got the letters/numbers scrambled up. Thanks for the correction. The CAF used to have one in either Arlington or Grand Prairie.

July 24 anyone? I'd like to stop in. I haven't been in over a year or so.

Yeah come on out. I heard that it rained fairly hard in parts of the Metroplex, but it just sprinkled for a few minutes out this direction. I guess it is supposed to be OK tomorrow so come out for breakfast.

Pat McDonald

I'll be there this Saturday. After breakfast, Linda and I plan to head down to the TWT Pie Run in Godley.

Well I had surgery for a blocked autory on the 22nd so i couldn't make it last Sat. Will make it the 31st but will be driving sense I can't get my helmet on yet.

With the Blue Hanger acting as a pre-function for the Pie Run we had our largest turnout in memory. I counted 46 bikes this morning, more than I can remember coming out before. We were also treated to a close up view and some low level fly-bys from an old WWII warbird. It was a T-6 Texan, I think. If my memory serves me well, the T6 was a trainer. I know that if I am wrong there will be several kind hearted riders who will help to correct my lack of Airplane knowledge. Typically for military planes of this vintage it was big for 2 passengers and had a great loud radial engine. He could hardly get to the gas pump to fill up past the other planes and motorcycles. The low level fly-bys were impressive. I took some pictures with my cell phone and got a nice shot of my finger and two shots of empty air where the plane had been just moments before. I think that I will skip posting them. Why don't I ever remember to carry an actual camera? I'm sure I could get a nice one for less than it cost to fill that warbird with AV gas.

Come on out next Saturday. It was good to see some old faces again. No offense, but none of you are getting any younger.

See you next week.

Pat McDonald

The AT-6 (Advanced Trainer) was awesome.

953726484_XZFZ4-L.jpg

953725297_sAdMu-L.jpg

953725615_ivN8S-L.jpg

Re: Saturday Breakfast at The Blue Hanger on for 1/1/11

I rode out to the Blue Hanger today and there is a sign in the window that says they will be open on Saturday 1/1/11 at 8:00 A.M.

So, come on out, just remember the ground rules. You have to look like you are believing the lies being told by your breakfast companions. A nod of the head and a short comment like, "yeah I've heard of that happening" is always appreciated.

Pat McDonald

Back