• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
After our last weekend Galeana/ Aramberri Run: 4 hotels are fully booked: maggie, el jardin, juana maria and laguna los labradores-that should cover everyone.

Maggie, El Jardin and Juana Maria have insisted and volunteered to meet with the Galeana Mayor and Police Transito Officials to relay info on Mektrek. They want the town to expect 100 riders who will be respectful and courtetous and abide by their laws and at the same time the police will look out for rider/ bike security and be hassle-sorta-free.

Several restaurants, pharmacies/ stores and the ice cream shop will prepare themselves accordingly but riders need be patient.

Guide Kayakkawakid has helped setup all the above with the intent of attending as well but unfortunately will not make Mextrek this year. Good luck guys, have fun, be safe. Any questions, just ask...

Zeke, you can't miss it. You'll figure out a way to show up.

As to the question of crime in Galeana, here is Milton's bike one morning long before Milton was up.

Galeana%20key%20in%20bike%20overnight%2C%20Scott%27s%20%281%29-X3.jpg

And how long did it take to get your Angolan visa? I had a "Diplomatico" and it took close to three months - and that was with an official request from the Government of Angola to issue the visa!!!

7 days. I was doing work directly for a minister of labor, LOL

After our last weekend Galeana/ Aramberri Run: 4 hotels are fully booked: maggie, el jardin, juana maria and laguna los labradores-that should cover everyone.

Maggie, El Jardin and Juana Maria have insisted and volunteered to meet with the Galeana Mayor and Police Transito Officials to relay info on Mektrek. They want the town to expect 100 riders who will be respectful and courtetous and abide by their laws and at the same time the police will look out for rider/ bike security and be hassle-sorta-free.

Several restaurants, pharmacies/ stores and the ice cream shop will prepare themselves accordingly but riders need be patient.

Guide Kayakkawakid has helped setup all the above with the intent of attending as well but unfortunately will not make Mextrek this year. Good luck guys, have fun, be safe. Any questions, just ask...

Thank you for all you help Zeke. I hope your plans change and you can join us. Righ now we have 92 riders in beds at Magdelana and Jardin. The two other overflow hotels will definitely help the 10 folks currently on the waiting list.

Motorbike security recommendations

In general, Mexico has 2 kinds of people: honest and not. If a thief can steal your stuff they will. The average person, however, will leave it alone and respect the 10 commandments in this mainly catholic country. Most things missing turn up by themselves.

I bring a cheap bicycle 4 digit combo cable so that if I want to leave my jacket and helmet on the bike while at lunch I can run the cable through them. At night, just thru the frame of my bike to a buddies bike. Not so much cause I think someone will steal my bike, but more so if someone decides my bike needs to be moved I can move it myself and not risk having it tipped over by a street cleaner or shoeshine boy.

Galeana is extremely safe, and the police station is literally 100 feet from the hotel. There are people on the square all the time. I show up and tell the police chief we are here and they will post up someone 24/7 to monitor our safety. With an AK 47, haha.

When you leave a Mexican hotel you surrender your keys to the front desk every time you leave. At Magdelena the night clerk sleeps Harry Potter style in a nook behind the desk under the stairs. A light tap on the bell and he rises, hands you your key, goes back to bed. Hotel possession of the key allows cleaning ladies to access the rooms. So far, in Galeana, nothing has turned up missing that I know of. I've left my bed with a pile of post ride gps, gopro, gloves, passport, helmet, pesos and dollars. I've returned to my room to find my bed turned down, items neatly arranged on the table, money fronted and inserted into my passport, coins stacked smallest to largest. Crazy. normal people don't steal. Employees don't steal. Guilty until proven innocent as a justice system has it's advantages in keeping straight people 100% straight.

The real crime occurs when you get away from the group and the small towns of the mountains. Things that an opportunist cannot pass up may go missing. A backback may at first seem the logical place to put everything of value that you have with you. So, naturally, that is the first thing a thief will grab, knowing how you think. And also the most likely thing you will leave hanging on a chair at breakfast, on the sofa in the hotel lobby, or on a tree in the middle of no-where. Last ride, no kidding, a good friend left his backpack on a fence post when we stopped to enjoy a river view. I think I remember that a local whistled at me as I was the last bike leaving and pointed to the pack.

My brother had his backpack stolen while camping on a beach. He notified police. 15 minutes later they put him, his backpack, and the 15 year old thief in a room together. Said, call when you are done with him. Nothing was gone except the cash. The kid said yes, he took the backpack, but the cops kept the cash.

Sadly, At a border town forget everything I just said and keep it all wrapped up tight. In the border towns everyone should be treated as a thief.

Last edited:
Awesome – thank you and I'm sure everyone who reads it will appreciate it. Every country -- and every town -- truly is different!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JonCoffee, I have never applied online, but would like to some time. It's easy enough to do in person I've never bothered.
cegusman, thanks for the good input. Looks like maybe JonCoffee should wait a week and try again.

Thanks for asking. I'm sorry I don't really know the answer.
-Steve

So if we apply for the 180 day visa thing what's the harm in entering a date in the next 30 days from, say, today just to get the paperwork done online?

And since I'm in Austin with an MX consulate, can the paperwork be done in paper form at the consulate and WITHOUT the 30 day advance restriction?

Also, for those in Austin:
The official website for the Mexican Consulate in Austin is in Spanish only. Using the google translation for this page, it looks like it says:

"To process the temporary admission permit for your vehicle, BANJERCITO's schedule is from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm from Monday to Friday. You need to schedule an appointment: 011525556260500 ext: 2637."

What is BANJERCITO? It seems like it is the Mexican agency that issues the authorization to bring a vehicle into Mexico. I did find this:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.banjercito.com.mx/&prev=search

Here is the simplified translated page.

I assume this phone number is in Mexico. Looks like I have to call Mexico to make an appointment in Austin.

Anyone know if the people at that phone number speak English?

Here are the instructions I found garbled and formatted oddly. I've cleaned them up to this (I think):

"Make your appointment by phone and perform your paperwork Schedule your appointment. From Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. , call: (011-52) 55 56260500 , ext. 2637 and have the hand this information: Name, date, time and module, where you will perform your procedure. Arrive on time. Full presentation (in original and copy) all requested documentation. 1 2 3 Process Documentation requested Considerations BanjercitoMx @BanjercitoSNC Follow us BanjercitoSNC Temporary Importation vehicular in the Consulates, where Banjercito has a presence. Title of property with current plaques, Credit agreement to name of the importer (not more than 3 months). Document proving your stay in the country (resident alien, passport (non-Mexican), passport card, work visa, naturalization certificate). Pre-registration migratory (in case of being foreign). Make the payment of the permit and your guarantee deposit. (Payment only made with Credit or Debit Card in the name of the importer). It is very important to take these measures into account: Verify that your Credit Card (Visa, Master Card or Debit Card) is enabled to "receive charges in Mexican pesos" . The estimated time per shift is 10 minutes and the lack of any document can cause delay in the service or cancel the appointment granted. Remember to bring your complete documentation. The appointment can be processed with a minimum of 24 hours."

Based on this information, (more directed at US citizens going to Baja, MX), not sure I want to complete the forms online as the government of Mexico has to mail stuff to me... I guess I sweat the delay if there's any hangups.

Also, there are at least two addresses posted on the web. Here is one address, I think for the consulate:

5202 E. Ben White Blvd, Suite 150, Austin, Texas. 78741
Telephone Number : (512) 478-2866
Fax: (512) 478-8008 mexicoenaustin@sre.gob.mx

Hours:
Office : Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm
Public Attendance: Monday through Friday from 8 am to 2 pm

There is also this address listed, I think for the Banjercito which issues the vehicle authorization.
410 Baylor St
Austin, TX 78703
Phone number (512) 478-2866

I have sent them an email asking for help but don't have super high expectations at this point.

Take all this with a pinch of salt - I don't know anything about this Mexico business - just sharing what I'm stumbling through. If this is too confusing then perhaps someone who completes it successfully for this trip can post exact, step-by-step instructions, etc.

I think my plan for now is this: IF I was to win the lotto or otherwise become instantly wealthy, I'd go to Mexico in a week or two. To make sure I can do that, and do so often, I think I will try to apply for a paperwork for me and my bike starting in two weeks and lasting for 180 days (my motorcycle license plate will expire before then anyway).

Coincidentally this puts me within the 30-day window, but if I am delayed until, say, late October, then I assume I could still use the same authorization forms, yes?

Sure, I suppose I'll pay a bit more for insurance, the visa etc, but for me, it's insurance of just having the darn paperwork in hand.

I'd really like to know the correct order to do these tasks. It seems from this that before I can apply for a vehicle permit I have to have an INM (and who knows what else). It would be nice to know how to go A-B-C-D on this this whole process of getting papers for me and my bike. A step-by-step guide with links, addresses etc. would be great but I'm happy to persist on my own with the fabulous guidance Fang already provided in a previous post.

Any other recent learning on this? Like to get it done in case of problems there's time to resolve...

Last edited:
Ah, yes; this is bringing back memories -- I need a fixer!

The phone number on the consulate website for Austin 512-478-2866 does not work - disconnected. I called the San Antonio consulate and after finally getting someone to answer the phone they told me the number for Austin is 512-269-5143 but this number is disconnected as well.

When I did get someone on the phone in San Antonio the man insisted that it was impossible to get a travel permit in advance - "you must get it at the border crossing." I explained that I need an INH pre-authorization number to get a vehicle permit and he said "no, you have to get that at the border, too."

Anyone successfully gotten this done for this trip yet?

Anyone know the correct phone number to the consulate in Austin?

I might be making progress. This is more pertinent for those of you in Central Texas but may be interesting for others.

I just called the government office in Mexico City. Here's what I think I know after talking with her:

- You may get a tourist permit and the document for the motorcycle at the same office at the same time.
- The office in San Antonio CANNOT issue a Temporary (vehicle) Permit Form; you must visit Austin if in central Texas. IDK about Houston, Dallas - maybe someone can chime in on this.
- You MUST have an appointment and a confirmation number or they will NOT see you.
- To get an appointment, call the Mexico City office at 011 52 55 5626 0500 x2637. However, I talked with Patricia and her English is awesome and she was super friendly and helpful. I got her number for you ;-): x2329 (or so she said). Please try these instructions first as it may not be cool if 100 people call her but you can call if you're stuck as I was. Also, their monitored email address is permisovehiculos@banjercito.com.mx

- At your visit, she said you will need WITH COPIES OF ALL FORMS
+ your passport,
+ title (some confusion about title OR registration - I'm taking both),
+ registration, and
+ pre-completed "Electronic pre-authorization" for available here in Spanish and English (button EN upper right): https://www.inm.gob.mx/sae/publico/en/pre-autorizacion.html

- Office location: As of about two days ago, the Consulate office on Baylor Street in Austin is now closed. The new office is listed at 5202 E. Ben White Blvd, Suite 150, Austin, TX 78741 BUT you cannot enter that building. She said go to 5402 E/Ben White Blvd (NOT in Google Maps) and enter through building 1.

- You CAN get a 180 day permit (I sure am and I'm going to use the soonest start date I can get to avoid any 30-day prior limitation issues).

- She suggested that you stop at the "border offices" when returning to the USA. Also, to get your deposit vehicle deposit back on the way out of Mexico and to stop the 180-day clock ticking (they will give you a slip of paper for this) and if you want your vehicle deposit back on each return trip. You should get your deposit back before the deposit expiration date.

- NOTE CAREFULLY: They ONLY accept credit card or debit card. They advise to pre-authorize Peso charges.

She did not mention this but I'm going to take:
- Wad of cash for permits and deposit
- Checkbook

She did not mention any requirement to bring documentation of Mexican health insurance or vehicle insurance.

I have an appointment later this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Am I summarizing correctly?

The process at the consulate is exactly the same as at the border, except you need to get a pre-authorization number in advance to obtain an appointment.

So the steps are:

1. Get authorization number by calling 011 52 55 5626 0500 x2637
2. Bring passport to receive a 180 day tourist visa (Houston or Austin) $24 / 500 pesos.
3. Use clear title / registration / driver's license and 180 day tourist visa to get TVIP (vehicle permit) - $44
4. Bring CC / Debit in your name for vehicle deposit $200 - 400 depending on year - Banjercito Bank

$400 US - 2007 model year and newer

$300 US - 2001 – 2006 model years

$200 US – 2000 model year or older

And when exiting mexico:

1. Bring bike to border office and have them visually inspect the bike to cancel the TVIP and initiate an electronic refund of your permit.
2. Cancel your Visa by handing it to the clerk inside

Failure to cancel TVIP and / or Visa will cause complications on your next visit because technically you have broken Mexico's regulations / laws.

Last edited:
From Mexpro: https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/vehicle-import-permit.html

Temporary Vehicle Import Permit for Mexico
*Please note: A Temporary Importation Permit (TIP) can ONLY be obtained through Mexico's Banjercito government agency.

If you plan to drive a vehicle beyond the Mexico "Free Zone" you will need to purchase a Mexico Vehicle Import Permit. The temporary vehicle import permit can be obtained from Banjercito, the official Mexican issuing agency. It is valid for any type of vehicle, weighing less than three tons, for up to six months (180 days). The permit may be purchased online at the Banjercito website or at the Mexican border. One can purchase the permit online 7-60 days prior to travel into Mexico.

Documents Required for a Mexico Vehicle Import Permit
It is recommended that one carry three copies of each of these documents.

Original and photocopy of Passport

Original and photocopy of Driver's License issued outside of Mexico

If you are not a Mexican citizen, a Mexican immigration permit-such as a tourist, business or immigrant permit.

Original and photocopy of Bill of Sale, Deed to Property and Vehicle Registration issued by a foreign authority in the applicant's name. If the title of the vehicle is in the name of a spouse, child, or parent - a birth certificate or marriage license must be presented.

For Leased Vehicles: Lease contract and notarized letter of permission from the leasing company.

For Financed Vehicles: Credit contract and notarized letter of permission from the lienholder or lending institution.

Company Car / Car belonging to a Corporation: a notarized notarized letter of permission confirming the employment relationship and authorizing the employee to import the vehicle into Mexico.

Certificate of canceled import permit for any prior temporary import permits

Proof of temporary Mexican auto insurance for your vehicle.

You will also be Required to:
Sign a declaration, pledging to return the vehicle within the 180 day period for which the permit is valid and not disobey any other regulations concerning the permit.

Pay $44 US plus a tax (IVA) for processing the permit with cash or with a non-Mexico issued credit card.

Pay a deposit. The deposit will be returned upon your return to the US, and amounts to:

$400 US - 2007 model year and newer

$300 US - 2001 – 2006 model years

$200 US – 2000 model year or older

The above numbers come from the Banjercito website. According to the website, the IVA and deposit amount can vary depending on the peso to dollar exchange rate.

The deposit will be refunded if the vehicle import permit is returned within the 180 day period and no violations have taken place (see below).

An International Credit Card (American Express, Mastercard, Visa) in the name of the driver of the vehicle (importer) will be needed to pay the fees. Your card number could be held or charged for the import amount. Be sure to contact your credit card company upon your return, to be sure you've received a refund.

Vehicle Import Violations
The following will result in the deposit fee being cashed by the Mexican government.

Not returning the vehicle to the US border within 180 days to exit Mexico or to renew the permit.

Driving a vehicle with an expired vehicle import permit in Mexico.

Selling an imported vehicle in Mexico.

Other important Facts:
Temporary Vehicle Import Permits cannot be renewed through a Mexican Consulate abroad.

Temporary Vehicle Import Permits cannot be renewed within the interior of Mexico.

Temporary Vehicle Import Permits cannot be renewed online.

If a vehicle has not been returned to Banjercito offices at the border, a new permit cannot be issued.

You will not be given a Temporary Import Permit if your vehicle has any restrictions in the US or Canada (determined by VIN# - Vehicle Identification Number).

Obtaining a Vehicle Import Permit Via the Internet
Applying for the Permit online on the Banjercito Website will speed up the process and allow you to avoid potentially long lines at the border. After submitting the required information to the website, you will receive a pass code. After 24 hours and within 15 days of obtaining the pass code, you can visit any Banjercito location (on the US/Mexico border) to obtain your permit document.

Mexico import permits may be purchased online for auto, RV and boat/watercraft.
The permit will be mailed to you.
The permit may be purchased up to 60 days before you depart for Mexico.
You need a minimum of 7 days between when you apply online and pay for your permit and your departure to Mexico date.
You must cancel your permit at a Banjercito location on the border upon your return to the US.
Multiple Entries with your Vehicle Import Permit
Once you have a vehicle import permit you may drive your vehicle across the border multiple times during the valid length of your permit.

Mexican Auto Insurance
Temporary Mexican automobile insurance is required in order to obtain a temporary vehicle import permit. Buy Mexican Auto Insurance now from www.Mexpro.com.

Canceling the Permit Upon Exiting Mexico
You do not have to exit Mexico from the same port as you entered to cancel your permit. Your temporary vehicle import permit can be cancelled at any Banjercito location along the border. You MUST CANCEL YOUR VEHICLE IMPORT PERMIT UPON YOUR FINAL RE-ENTRY INTO THE US. If you do not, you may not be allowed to drive into Mexico again without the permit.

Other Drivers
If the documentation shows the vehicle is registered in the name of a spouse, the importation can be done as long as the marriage certificate (and a copy) is presented.

A vehicle temporarily imported by the owner may be driven in Mexico by a spouse or adult children, as long as they have the same immigration status. Other persons may drive the vehicle as long as the owner is in the vehicle.

Warning
Travelers should avoid individuals outside vehicle permit offices offering to obtain the permits without waiting in line, even if they appear to be government officials. There have been reports of fraudulent or counterfeit permits being issued adjacent to the vehicle import permit offices in border areas. If the proper permit is not obtained before entering Mexico and cannot be obtained at the Banjercito branch at the port of entry, do not proceed to the interior. Travelers without the proper permit may be incarcerated, fined and/or have their vehicle seized at immigration/customs checkpoints.

Thanks for all the great information everyone.

It sounds like you have to visit Banjercito within two weeks of getting the code but you can purchase 60 days before going?

... After submitting the required information to the website, you will receive a pass code. After 24 hours and within 15 days of obtaining the pass code, you can visit any Banjercito location (on the US/Mexico border) to obtain your permit document. ...

... The permit may be purchased up to 60 days before you depart for Mexico. ...

Last edited:
Am I summarizing correctly?

The process at the consulate is exactly the same as at the border, except you need to get a pre-authorization number in advance to obtain an appointment.

So the steps are:

1. Get authorization number by calling 011 52 55 5626 0500 x2637
Depends on what you mean by "authorization number." Actually I called that phone number to get an appointment at the Austin, TX Consulate & Banjercito combined office and she called it a "confirmation number for your appointment." I am belaboring the point here because you ALSO need the "Pre-authorization number" to get the vehicle permit. You need both. So, repeating, you get the appointment and confirmation number by calling, and you get the pre-authorization number by completing the form online and printing it out. Take both to your appt.

I went to the website below to complete an online form that, when completed, generated the pre-authorization number. This completed form and number must be taken to the Consulate with you to get the vehicle permit. I completed the form tonight and it seemed to work fine.
https://www.inm.gob.mx/sae/publico/en/pre-autorizacion.html

When the form is complete, it will display a screen with the data you entered and also a link to a PDF version of the form in Spanish. I printed both and also saved the form on my computer.

The confirmation page displays the following text (my data replaced with XXX):

Electronic pre-authorization
ES EN

Electronic pre-authorization number: 201nnnn

Surname(s): XXX
Name(s): XXX
Nationality: United States of America
Identification document: Passport
Document number: nnnnnnnnn
Purpose of your visit: Tourism
Authorization date: 12/09/2017
Expiration date: 12/10/2017
(Gringos note: The date is in international format, DD/MM/CCYY)
Approved

This electronic pre-authorization is only applicable for American or Canadian nationals and for foreign permanent residents of such countries, who pretend to enter Mexican territory for tourism, transit or business purposes and require to obtain a temporal vehicle import permit.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great information everyone.

It sounds like you have to visit Banjercito within two weeks of getting the code but you can purchase 60 days before going?

According to the dates on my form (completed tonight - see my note above) you have one month. Also, IDK about 60 days or not but I'm getting a 180-day permit starting in a week or so in case I can depart early ;-)

Last edited:

Mexican Auto Insurance
Temporary Mexican automobile insurance is required in order to obtain a temporary vehicle import permit. Buy Mexican Auto Insurance now from www.Mexpro.com.

Is this true? So far, no one has mentioned that I have to have the insurance BEFORE going to the Consulate place to get the vehicle permit. Does anyone who has completed this process in the Consulate before know?

Also, is MexPro the one those of you with experience would recommend? Not opposed to that company just interested in your experience.

Is this true? So far, no one has mentioned that I have to have the insurance BEFORE going to the Consulate place to get the vehicle permit. Does anyone who has completed this process in the Consulate before know?

Also, is MexPro the one those of you with experience would recommend? Not opposed to that company just interested in your experience.

Yes,
The agency is righ across the street from the consulate.

I've never had anyone ask for proof of insurance, but it is required. Last year I bought a drivers liability policy from Portugal insurance. $90/year liability only for any vehicle I drive in MX. I will renew before I go.

I've never had anyone ask for proof of insurance, but it is required. Last year I bought a drivers liability policy from Portugal insurance. $90/year liability only for any vehicle I drive in MX. I will renew before I go.

Just to clarify, any "imported" vehicle. Insurance doesn't cover you for MX plated vehicles.

Here is an excellent and recent article on various kinds of travel insurance and related services; I heartily recommend it -- even if you've already purchased insurance or services. Even though I've used some of these insurance companies and services before, I have to admit, I didn't really understand them. This article helps. A lot. It does a good job of explaining the types of insurance, those "membership-based services," gaps, overlaps and red flags. It is written from the perspective of an adventure traveler, not someone who just who lies on the beach of an all-inclusive 5-star Mexican resort.

https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-guide-travel-insurance-rescue-and-medical-evacuation-services/

Last edited:
This post is for people who need or want to get their vehicle permit and pay for the tourist visa before crossing the border, and especially for those who want to obtain the TVIP in Austin.

I'm no expert, I'm just sharing my experience to help you if you're interested.

SUMMARY:
Today I got the TVIP at the Banjercito inside the consulate in Austin, and completed a form and paid for the tourist visa online. :deal:
The formal name of the document is "Permiso de Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos."

DETAILS:

I showed up at the appointed time and the security guard came running over to help me the moment I walked in and told me I didn't need an appointment (despite what I had been told earlier and read online but maybe they were just being nice and I was wearing a suit as I do every day at work -- so IDK). You can obviously decide if you want to make an appointment or not.

At the consulate counter three people (two of whom were supervisors) informed me that they cannot issue a tourist visa "and haven't for 10 years."

Next, I reported to the Banjercito counter for a TVIP where the helpful lady informed me, as stated by Fang in post 467, that I could complete the visa request form and pay online.

Moving on to the TVIP, she asked me for the ORIGINAL vehicle registration (license plate payment) receipt, my passport, and for copies of both. She also wanted a copy of the vehicle title. I also provided the electronic pre-authorization that I had completed earlier online (I think I maybe mentioned this in a previous post). She reminded me that I needed a Mexico vehicle insurance policy but did not ask to see it (I took it with me just in case). She said the border agents may ask to see it. They charged my credit card (I had pre-authorized payments in Pesos) 8,218.9 pesos ($465.28) which was $400 deposit on my 2017 KTM and the remainder in fees. There was the usual rubber stamping, signing, and passing lots of copies and documents back and forth.

Then the consulate man smiled, shook my hand, waved good-by, and nicely wished me "Merry Christmas." I wonder how many times I've done that in another language. I smiled and thanked them all.:-P

When I got home I completed the visa request form here:https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/solicitud.html. The computer form charged me 500 pesos $28.30USD and issued me a Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica and a FMME Frontera Norte and a Folio de la Operación.

Awhile after you submit the online form, the Mexican government will email you a link to your official form, the FORMA MIGRATORIA MÚLTIPLE (FMM). You must open this email and print this form and take it with you to the border crossing. It is NOT sufficient to print the last web page for you complete.

So I got a 6-month visa request and TVIP starting in a week (in case I win the lotto and can leave early).

I understand that I'm to show the TVIP and the Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica / PAGO DE DERECHOS POR SERVICIOS MIGRATORIOS (aka PAYMENT OF RIGHTS FOR MIGRATION SERVICES) to the government agents at the border crossing.

More on the new consulate location:

I mentioned the new address on Ben White Blvd in a previous post. I entered that address into Waze and it led me a long block away, nearing my appointment time and looking at a maze of buildings for the consulate. I'm glad I was early as I wasted some time driving around. The actual address was the next cross street west of the location the Waze application took me to. Once you get the the correct intersection the consulate has posted lots of small signs leading the way. When I finally got to the right building, I asked my Garmin my current location and it indicated N 30.21780 W 097.72337. It is a brown 2 story building.

Anything else I need to do for the government of Mexico?

Last edited:
Is the goal of the GMRS radio to communicate during the ride or only in emergency when one would presumably be off the bike? If we will be using it during the ride, I will get the SR10 so I can connect it to my SENA. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you that when I went last year almost no one had integrated radios to their helmets. Don't know if a large percent had them in their bags or not.

That said, I had one mounted and integrated on my old bike and have done the same on the new one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like to use the radios during the ride. The senas/scalas do not have enough range to use when off pavement. The second, third forth and so on riders are following back to stay out of the dust and the bluetooth connection fails. When riding off pavement, the radio can be used without an integrated helmet headset. But, on the pavement the wind noise transmitted from the radios mic or the cheap earbuds with builtin mics is just annoying to the receiving riders. The receiving riders will not be able to understand transmissions from the cheap sets. The only systems I've seen that work well at speed are the Senas and the Rugged Radios helmet sets. I gave up and paid the money for the Sena SR10 and 10S. It works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back