• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dos Semanas En Mexico

wow! two bleeding baby dolls one skewered by an antenna or drivers side rear view mirror and one on the rear bumper of an old truck, drivers side also.. Maybe a hot rod club symbol. Both on old trucks. That is, weird.

Last edited:
wow! two bleeding baby dolls one skewered by an antenna or drivers side rear view mirror and one on the rear bumper of an old truck, drivers side also.. Maybe a hot rod club symbol. Both on old trucks. That is, weird.

I dunno..... :shrug:

Hi Spirit,

My wife and I both ride (she just got her license this summer) and would be up for a trip to Mexico if you guys go again. We have traveled all over Mexico by car but did a two-up trip on the bike through Mexico to Guatemala this past Easter. We can usually travel anytime but would prefer dry season as you now know why!

Hi Spirit,

My wife and I both ride (she just got her license this summer) and would be up for a trip to Mexico if you guys go again. We have traveled all over Mexico by car but did a two-up trip on the bike through Mexico to Guatemala this past Easter. We can usually travel anytime but would prefer dry season as you now know why!

This sounds like the beginning of a very nice group trip :rider: :trust: :trust:

A fine report. I especially enjoy the pics of the dogs.

Ah, on pins and needles here for the big finale. Great story telling and pics to go along. Good for y'all.

If I didn't have to get my '11 "Oui" inspected last month, I prolly wouldn't have ridden it at all. So disappointed with myself for not making more riding time. I plan to do better in November.

Heck, 2017 almost at and end and I've not hardly applied my Dec 2016 new year's eve resolution to "make better, bad choices" this year, dang it.

C'mon ernie....do better. :doh: Peace y'all

Last edited:
Thanks Ernie!

I just need a shorter-than-10-hour workday so I can finish this thing.

Remember someone's signature line, "Just ride something, it'll be a better day."

Hi Spirit,

sKatZ said: This sounds like the beginning of a very nice group trip :trust:

Funny thing; late Sep thru Oct is typically wonderful weather. The initial flooding was due to a Pacific hurricane that dragged across the country. The extended rains we encountered later were part of an unusual weather pattern.

But, I agree. A small group of traveling couples would indeed be a lot of fun.

5oct17
Woke to roosters screaming their heads off. Sun and blue skies.

John and I sure enjoy our mornings. John boils water for coffee and tea. We then sit and sip, chatting and planning the day. Eventually we start packing up the crap that has exploded all over the room. Generally we are underway between 10 and 11am.

This morning is no different, just made more enjoyable by our surroundings. The morning sunshine slanting through the window promises a fine day.

Just an aside: John’s Morning Constitutional

“Getting ready for some serious action. Leave these out here,” John mutters half to himself while pulling his shorts over his shoes.
“It gets that bad, huh?” I ask smiling. “You sure those sandals can handle it? Mebbe you should put your boots on.” John smirks but has no comment.
“Take your lighter, Lemoncita is waiting for you,” I continue, enjoying myself.

“Lemoncita” is the candle carried for just this purpose. She replaced “Hermano” who pulled duty for a week before drowning in his own hot wax (or did he succumb to the fumes?)

This is the morning log jam (uh, sorry.) My morning packing ritual seems like an endless list of “but first’s”. Would pack my bath kit but first I gotta brush my teeth. Can’t brush my teeth til the bathroom is free. Would pack the breakfast kit but first I gotta rinse my tea cup and spoon. Can’t rinse anything til the bathroom is free… Can’t pack the shoes I am wearing til ready to gear up.

In reality, there is lots I could be doing but for a few minutes, everything seems to stop at the closed bathroom door. ;-)

As we leave Matehuala it really does feel like we have left the rain and fog and cold behind for good. It's warm enough that I don’t need my liner and we both open all the vents in our jackets. I dig my sunglasses out (hadn’t needed them in, what- a week?)

Our goal for the day is Aramberri, a mere 75 miles away. We would arrive early in the day, check into the hotel. Do some laundry. Hang our wet gear out to dry. We will pack a lunch and picnic beside a pretty river we spotted on a previous trip. It’ll be lovely….

We stop in the town of Doctor Arroyo for lunch. Grilled chicken of course.
IMG_1877-X2.jpg

Some passing entertainment.
IMG_1869-XL.jpg

IMG_1870-X2.jpg

I planned to buy some fresh fruit after lunch but the guy was gone when we returned.
IMG_1872-L.jpg
IMG_1873-XL.jpg

We lingered in Doctor Arroyo, enjoying the town square. Not long after leaving however it is apparent our goal of Aramberri is denied. :-( We are under a dark cloud in spitting rain. The warm sunny morning in Matehuala had tricked us and now we stop on the side of the road to close each other's vents and stow sunglasses.

It becomes obvious the weather in Aramberri will be miserable.

Another plan thrown to the wayside.

Instead, we turn toward Galeana (106 miles from Matehuala) and hope it will be dry there. Even if it isn’t we know the hotels there and in the morning we can start out prepped for rain and cold.

We arrive Galeana around 4pm, wet and chilled. Check into the Hotel Magdalene. Housekeeping agreed to do our laundry. (Thank you!)

Dinner at La Bonita, where the waitress (anxious to please) served our beers with straws.
IMG_1883-L.jpg

Another beer at the “upstairs bar“, one promenade around the square and we are done for the night.

Last edited:
5oct17
Woke to roosters screaming their heads off. Sun and blue skies.

John and I sure enjoy our mornings. John boils water for coffee and tea. We then sit and sip, chatting and planning the day. Eventually we start packing up the crap that has exploded all over the room. Generally we are underway between 10 and 11am.

This morning is no different, just made more enjoyable by our surroundings. The morning sunshine slanting through the window promises a fine day.

Just an aside: John’s Morning Constitutional

“Getting ready for some serious action. Leave these out here,” John mutters half to himself while pulling his shorts over his shoes.
“It gets that bad, huh?” I ask smiling. “You sure those sandals can handle it? Mebbe you should put your boots on.” John smirks but has no comment.
“Take your lighter, Lemoncita is waiting for you,” I continue, enjoying myself.

“Lemoncita” is the candle carried for just this purpose. She replaced “Hermano” who pulled duty for a week before drowning in his own hot wax (or did he succumb to the fumes?)

This is the morning log jam (uh, sorry.) My morning packing ritual seems like an endless list of “but first’s”. Would pack my bath kit but first I gotta brush my teeth. Can’t brush my teeth til the bathroom is free. Would pack the breakfast kit but first I gotta rinse my tea cup and spoon. Can’t rinse anything til the bathroom is free… Can’t pack the shoes I am wearing til ready to gear up.

In reality, there is lots I could be doing but for a few minutes, everything seems to stop at the closed bathroom door. ;-)

now thats funny right there

This is so true. My walking shoes are at the bottom of my saddlebag. So, I can't pack up the right bag with underwear and socks and toiletries until the shoes are packed away. So I gotta have on pants, socks, boots before my last 10 minutes of packing. Silly things you never realize with normal suitcases and travel plans.

Great writeup. I heard the Real de Catorce story from JT and it was pretty funny in person. Also, I'm always amazed at the miles you guys cover on the big bikes. 55 mph on my 230 isn't good for much over a 180 mile day.

As we walked around Galeana that evening, John and I popped into a tiny shop, a kind of auto parts store. Unbeknownst to us, this little munchkin followed us out the door and down the street. We were three doors down when I became aware of her trailing along behind us.

IMG_1886-X3.jpg

The three of us stood there, none of us sure what to do, when someone from the parts store called her back.

When we rolled out of Galeana the next morning, the plan was to ride north until we had to choose a direction for either Allende, Nuevo Rosita or Sabinas.

It was a beautiful day for riding. The weather was very pleasant and we were so grateful for it.

I took this pic just to celebrate blue skies, warm sunshine and white puffy clouds.

IMG_1893-X2.jpg

Near Monclova while we were fueling, I watched a pony cart make it's way up the highway. Two dogs trotted along and an old man drove the wagon.

I snapped some pix and then on a whim, grabbed a few coins and went out to the street to meet him. The exchange that followed touched me deeply, for reasons I have a hard time explaining. This old man was so courteous, so mannerly. He formally introduced himself and shook my hand. He accepted the coins graciously and with a blessing. I stood out in the street and watched him go. I wanted to ride in that cart. I wanted to visit his home, meet his family, learn about his life.

(When he saw me walking toward him, he began digging thru a large sack. He offered me fruit from the sack. He did not seem surprised that I had approached.)

IMG_1896-X3.jpg

IMG_1897-X2.jpg

"Dinner at La Bonita, where the waitress (anxious to please) served our beers with straws."

This is smiles for hours. :sun:

And the adventure continues! Thanks for going and for bringing back great stories, Gina and John :chug:

Hola Gina!

Enjoyed the RR. Sorry y'all had bad weather.

Next time we cross paths let's talk about the trip.

Saludos,

JD

Less than halfway thru your report and enjoying it, i cant wait til next week or so when i make time to read again. And if its any comfort, in early sept after JT abandoned me and Doug in a small village on the side of the road, we too got caught in heavy rainfall and had to hold up in a chicken coop of a friendly farmer. And we were also delayed an extra day in caderayta caught between 2 heavy storms and bed in a roach motel in a not so friendly and questionable part of town. A testament that things dont always go as planned BUT thats what makes it an ADV. Also, in you all leaving R14, was the steep rocky and treacherous road out of R14 not considered an option for you instead of the tunnel? Last Nov, we went out that way in a heavy vstrom with slick road tires although it wasnt raining...

Last edited:
Hey Zeke,

I'll answer your last question first.

Yes, the road over the mountains into Real de Catorce was an option, except I think John felt it was too late in the day to go in that way. (Just to give you an idea, it was full on dark when we exited the tunnel in the town.)

As far as riding the back road itself, JT sometimes has a hard time determining my willingness/ability; sometimes stuff that he thought I would have no problem with stops me dead in my tracks with fear. Sometimes stuff that he thinks I won't attempt; I tackle with no hesitation.

Also, it's hard for me to gauge what I can or can't do based on other people's descriptions.

I have watched several videos of that back road...:shrug:

I'd like to hear more about what happened in September!

Glad you are enjoying the report. Let's finish this sucker!

We are now heading northward toward the border. Naturally, (now that we have to leave) the weather is clear and beautiful.

We took a slightly different tack north, aiming for Sabinas and eventually crossed the border at Piedras Negras.

We both enjoyed passing through the area between Monclova and Sabinas.

IMG_1892-XL.jpg

These mountains look explore-worthy, don't they?
IMG_1894-X3.jpg

We had a hard time just getting into the town of Sabinas, certainly not this way!

IMG_1899-X2.jpg

We did eventually find the plaza and a great hotel a few blocks off the square. I highly recommend the El Dorado. It has two buildings; a typical 2-3 storey building on one side of the street and an old-fashioned motor court (or tourist court) on the other side of the street. We went for the motor court and were not disappointed. the building probably dates back to the 1950's at least but has been impeccably maintained. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

We talked with the owner/manager who spoke excellent English and was pleased to have us as guests. He told us his family has owned the hotel for two generations.

After settling in, we both were very hungry so we sauntered over to the attached restaurant. Dinner was delicious.

I've never had vegetables served like this before; they were quite tasty, with a spice I couldn't recognize.
IMG_1903-XL.jpg

As is customary, we wandered around the square after lingering over dinner.

In a shop window. (Love the skeletal bird!)
IMG_1904-X3.jpg

Getting closer to the border now.

At a fueling stop, I returned from the bathroom to find John yakking it up with several cruiser guys. I surreptitiously snapped this pic, but failed to catch the other dudes.
IMG_1905-XL.jpg

We turned in our TVIP's in Allende, then headed for Piedras Negras for the border crossing. In PN, I got distracted by the smell on roadside grilled chicken and we both decided we should have one last delicious meal before returning to gringo-land. But it was not to be, that one whiff was a teaser; we could not find the source.

Giving up on chicken, we joined a long queue snaking it's way through town and over the Rio Grande.

IMG_1907-X2.jpg

Finished with the border crossing, we roll through Eagle Pass looking for a place to eat. John keeps suggesting Wendys. He is remembering when we crossed the border into Texas two years ago. I was famished and craving ICE in my drink. So we stopped at a Wendy's where I chowed down on a burger and fries and half a gallon of Dr Pepper with lots of ice. A few hours later, I'm relaxing at home and I start feeling not so well. Soon I was hurling everything including my toenails.

So, what did I have as my first meal back in the states this time?

IMG_1910-X2.jpg

gotta ease back into things...

Ah, Mexico, I miss you already!
IMG_1912-L.jpg

IMG_1722-XL.jpg

------------T H E----- E N D!------------

Back