TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #21
humanrace

Re: Just another ride in Colorado, 5 friends for life

Day 7
In order to ride or drive to Maroon Lake and the Maroon Bells, you have to get to the gate before 9:00 AM. After that you have to ride the free bus. We didnít want to ride the bus so we set the alarm for 6:30 so we could eat breakfast and ride the 100 or so miles to Aspen. We also left a wake up call for 6:30. The next morning Mauriceís frantic voice woke me up, ďDennie, itís 7:00 and weíre going to have to skip breakfast. After frantically loading the bikes, he took his phone out and said, ďHey, the clock is wrong and itís only 6:20.Ē Ten minutes later the phone rang with our wake up call.
Maroon Bells and Lake. The breakfast that came with our cheap, ugly room was delicious.

Looks similar to a dandelion

We rode through Aspen without stopping. We saw gas for $5.009 per gallon, well above any other station we saw on the trip.
Just east of Aspen Maurice pulled over because he saw some hang gliders. There were a lot of them, but we arrived late and got to see 2 land. It was a group that takes passengers in tandem. All of the gliders didnít have passengers and those had to go last.

Some tourist, I believe he was from Germany, took our picture at Independence Pass. We returned the favor.

My momís gravesite, mile marker 65 of highway 82.

Looking back the other way.

Her ďurnĒ was in remarkable shape after 9 years. The 50 or so children, grandchildren and great grandchildrenís names had been covered by avalanche rocks, but one of the flowers was still visible

I believe this is a pika.

You canít to get her actual site without a little scrambling, but itís about 40 feet behind me.

On to Twin Lakes where we stopped for a coke and ate our lunch. This drove up while we were eating. I checked on the internet and they start at around $100,000. I think Iíll keep riding my FZ1 and DRZ400. Theyíll go anywhere this thing will go and costs less than 10% for both of them. Of course, neither have an awning or a potty.

Eleven years ago, I walked the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango. I sent myself a food resupply package to the post office in the store at Twin Lakes. Even though they are no longer a post office, they still accept packages and keep them until November. Most backpackers go into town to resupply every 6 to 10 days. Over 10 days and the food weight is too much for most.

You can tell the experienced hikers from the inexperienced hikers by the size of their packages. The small ones are from the experienced hikers because they know how much food they are going to eat in a week and they know how much weight they are willing to carry.

I sent banana boxes to myself. The postmaster and I both had a good laugh, mostly at my expense, when I told them who I was and what I was there for.
Hey, it was my first backpacking experience.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #22
humanrace

Highway 24 from Twin Lakes to I-70 is a good cruiser road. There are lots of long sweepers and fairly good scenery. From I-70 we headed north on 131 where there were more long sweepers with the occasional 30 MPH turn thrown in. Right past the intersection of 134, still on 131, there is a great store. Itís the strangest convenience store that I have ever been inside. The couple that own it are hoaders. Stacks of newspapers and magazines were everywhere. They even had 6 toilets outside the store. We didnít take any pictures inside because we didnít want to offend anyone. We did enjoy the experience immensely.
They even had a phone booth

Onward to Hot Sulfur Springs where we found a free campground provided by the city. Our neighbor was a young Norwegian boy that was on a driveabout around the US. He bought this 1972 Chevy camper van to make the trip. His name was Pete.

I didnít ask if he bought the van with the stickers or if they were his idea.

He did have a solar panel mounted on the roof to charge his battery. He was using his cell phone to find free campgrounds and most did not have power. I told him about free camping on the BLM and national forest. He found the idea very unusual.

We took him to dinner and he was surprised that someone would buy a stranger their dinner.

Our campsite. There is a train track just over the road. It comes through about every 2 hours during the night and announces several times that it is coming.

During breakfast, Maurice mentioned that he had never been to Wyoming so we rode 75 miles north, turned around and rode 75 miles south. Heís now been to Wyoming, but not the good parts.

RMNP

We saw 2 elk. Well, we saw lots of elk. These 2 bulls were close.

This cow with a collar was also close.

It got a little frosty. Moís thermometer read 26 degrees.

Pine beetles are devastating the forest.

Entire forests are dying

We rode back through RMNP becauseÖÖ..? Did I mention the ride home from Ouray was 2,630 miles. We took the short cut through Oklahoma City.

Somewhere around Blackhawk.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #23
ekms377

You make me want to go back........and I think I will. Thx! I bet you guys had a great time. Good memories.

1989 Z50R
1997 TL1000S
2017 250XCF
2017 350XCF

"Anything worth doing.....is worth over doing."
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #24
_RG_

Very enjoyable read. Thanks for taking us along.
_RG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #25
humanrace

RG, you're welcome.
Eric, you still need to go with us.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #26
humanrace

I labeled a picture above, "somewhere around Blackhawk." I think it's the canyon west of Loveland. It's a lovely road, but very crowded with cars going to Estes Park and RMNP.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #27
humanrace

Highway 125 from Granby to Walden is a terrific motorcycle road with very few cars and lots of curves. Scenery is so-so. Highway 14 from State Forest State Park to highway 287 is Fantastic. ItĎs better than the Million Dollar Highway because there are way fewer cars and it is longer. The drop offs into the river are not as steep or as deep, but they are still life threatening if a mistake were made. Scenery is nonstop. My new second favorite Colorado highway.

After leaving RMNP, we headed south to Colorado Springs where we were going to meet a long lost buddy that went off to med school, the air force and now Colorado. On the way, we are going to ride the Peak to Peak highway, highway 74 between Evergreen and highway 8, and highway 67 to Manitou springs. 67 is my favorite motorcycle highway in Colorado. Notice I didnít say itís my favorite ride in Colorado. The road is sparsely traveled and very curvy, but the scenery doesnít measure up to other parts of Colorado.

On the way to Gregís house, we took a short cut up Mount Evans

Where we saw these

And this

We took another short cut up Pikes peak. I have been up Mount Evans quite a few times, but I went up Pikes Peak in 1980 and 1981. The road up was totally gravel and for 31 years I felt like Mount Evans was the better ride with better scenery. I have been wrong. That gravel road must have affected my vision because I now suggest PP over Evans. Do both if you can.

The road up

As it was in 1980
Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #28
ekms377

Thanks so much for the offer Dennie. Much appreciated and I will keep it in mind.

1989 Z50R
1997 TL1000S
2017 250XCF
2017 350XCF

"Anything worth doing.....is worth over doing."
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #29
humanrace

We took a day off and rode around Colorado springs.
We were photo bombed by bigfoot himself.

We ate at a little bar in the middle of nowhere. Food on the other side of the menu, but check out the items in the little box on the right. This is the only time I have ever seen Shower on the menu.

Greg and his lovely fiancť joined us for a ride. Dirt OK, 15% grade OK, Freshly gradedÖ..?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #30
fastf3

Dam, I missed ALOT!!!!
fastf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #31
humanrace

Yes, you did. 2,630 miles worth.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #32
humanrace

Jim Bishop, castle builder, has been at it again. More signs.

Typical "scaffolding"

The arched walkway has not been finished. I don't think it has been worked on in the last 4 years.

I ventured out on it anyway. Maurice declined.

The moat has been started. He is 70 years old and aging fast. This gate looks deadly.

Jim would fit in with most Texas meetings. He doesn't mince words about his political or religious beliefs.

We decided to slab it to Oklahoma City and the next morning I stopped at a fried pie shop near Turner Falls. There were no apricots in my pie, just a jelly looking substance that had an apricot flavor. No more for me.

Five people were making fried pies

Four were working the cash registers. Somebody likes them more than I did.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #33
humanrace

A couple of missed photos because it was raining. One was the worlds largest rocking chair and the other was the largest cross in the US.

If I find the day and a half worth of pictures that I lost, I'll post a little more.

Right now, I feel like this ride was one of my best, definitely in the top 5 and that's saying a lot since I've been riding 51 years and been on many, many rides. The scenery played a large part in my enjoyment, but the people I was with added as much or more to my experience. Thanks to Ray for organizing the ride. Thanks to Phil and Mark for adding unique perspectives to a camping and riding experience. And thanks to Maurice for enduring an extra week of sore butt by touring around on the way back. 2,630 street miles on the FZ1 and I didn't pay attention to the DRZ, but it now has 17,000+ miles and counting. The only thing that would have made this ride better is for Mark M. and Jeff P. to come along.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #34
P-Ratt

Very nice. My kind of vacation. No hard schedule but to see the sights.
FZ1

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #35
humanrace

b
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.