• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DS Police Patrol

F-Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Police get KTM’s in Fort Worth: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article144981989.html

016406488f01288d086c504f7af8e1d5.jpg

They're are going to have fun sitting on those seats for 8hrs a day! :rofl: Gotta admit though its a pretty cool tool to have.

-CJB

Can you imagine what they will look like with all the cop stuff they will put on them?
Won't be fun to ride then!

Sad, very sad.
Anybody not think we live in a police state?

now they have a tool to chase perps who ditch their car and run off into the woods. Can't imagine much else of a use. Hopping sidewalks? Trinity River patrol?
Dave.

I think the pitch was patrolling the Trinity or some such BS. HOpe the the Tarrant REgional Water District got a discount for their 8 KTMs that will probably spend most of their time in the shop.

Now they'll be able to extort folks for money out in nature instead of being limited city streets. And maybe help a few folks as well.

In this year since that report, how has that worked out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of people poo-poo'd our motorcycles for medical response in Austin. We just closed out another SXSW Music Festival and found them invaluable. We started with two several years ago and now have six.

https://www.facebook.com/AustinTravisCountyEMS/videos/2096435497048083/

That's something that I found interesting when I first saw an article from the UK I think where they were using motomounted Paramedics to slice though traffic ahead of the boxes to stabilize a patient prior to the box's arrival.

I think the pitch was patrolling the Trinity or some such BS. HOpe the the Tarrant REgional Water District got a discount for their 8 KTMs that will probably spend most of their time in the shop.

Now they'll be able to extort folks for money out in nature instead of being limited city streets. And maybe help a few folks as well.

I understand it was privately funded by an unnamed individual, and the city was not out money. Also they probably cost half what an HD police bike cost..

Check out United Hatsalah. I doubt that they started the idea of the motor ambulance, but it is a good story on how it can work.

All this reminds me of growing up in Fort Worth in the 70s. With the warrens of alleys, railroad right of ways, green belts, etc. on the South Side a police officer in a patrol car or on an Electra Glide didn't stand a change of catching a teenager on a dirt bike who knew the area. The river was out of my way to ride, but some of the Tanglewood kids were on it every weekend and from time to time the Colonial Golf course, too.

And somebody remind me, are we supposed to be mad at the police for not enforcing the law, or are we mad for them being oppressive. Seems like it changes every other week - or with every other argument. I can't seem to keep up.

I understand it was privately funded by an unnamed individual, and the city was not out money. Also they probably cost half what an HD police bike cost..
It Was funded by the Tarrant Regional Water District. According to the year old article anyway. List price for a 2017 350EXC was 10,400 I'm sure they got discount buying 8 at once. I wasn't able to find solid info on police spec Harleys but someone mentioned 15ish grand in one forum thread. Dunno. I'd imagine they get a discount on those as well.

I'm just leary of having big brother looking over my shoulder every were I go. Like they pretty much do already.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I would think of these as the modern equivalent to the equestrian patrols.

I would think of these as the modern equivalent to the equestrian patrols.

Good analogy.

I like the idea of Policemen being able to jump curbs and traverse ditches in order to quickly respond to emergencies. Good stuff.

I don't like the idea of Policemen hassling the crap out of people waaaay out in the wilderness minding their own business, actively trying to "get away from it all".

I saw this on an episode of the TV show Rocky Mountain Law. Police were jacking up snowmobile riders 10 miles back off in the wilderness for expired stickers, alcohol breath, no safety glasses, ...crap like that.

The cop bragged about how these people used to escape their Safety Imposition, but no longer could.

I was thinking they needed these for the rough streets we seem to have here in FTW. :eek2:

Patrolling the Trinity Trails would be a plus. Lots of crime occurs on parts of that trail system. Its a shame to have spent the money to put those trails in and then have decent people not be able to use it because its the haunt of the homeless and thugs looking for an easy victim to mug. Some parts of the trail system are sketchy and having your car broken into while you're out on the trail is not a rarity. So hopefully the cops will be dealing with that thing and not hassling people for riding their bike too fast or walking a dog without a dog tag.

In this year since that report, how has that worked out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well I had not seen one in the flesh till the other day when I saw one on a trailer with one of the darth vader C14 connies. looked like they were returning from having them serviced over at freedom power sports on the west loop.

Back