TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Prayer Requests

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #41
aspr
 
aspr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Fm 1681, Stockdale.
Posts: 1,107
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

That's tough, I'm sorry to hear it. Lots of Alzheimer's in my family so I kind of get it.

Prayers will keep coming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #42
Crew Chief
 
Crew Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rendon TX
Posts: 3,367
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspr View Post
... so I kind of get it.

Prayers will keep coming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'll pray you don't.

Thanks
__________________
Mike Brewster
'14 Super Tenere
'00 Suzuki DR-Z400 Yes, it has been to Mexico - Twice
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500


"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #43
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,456
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

I hate hearing that diagnosis Mike. We have several dear friends here in town that are struggling with it, one in her 80s and another in her early 60s. My maternal grandmother had it REALLY bad for the last 15 years or so of her life. She could remember stuff from 50 years before, but not that she just finished eating breakfast. Both of my Mom's parents lived with us for the last few years of their lives and I got to deal with her dementia every single day during that time. It made a BIG impression on me. As scary as cancer might be, I think I'd choose that over dementia any day... It is heart breaking to watch other people you care for, and those that take care of them, go through it. We will keep you and your wife in our prayers.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #44
Traxx
Forum Supporter
 
Traxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ft Worth
Posts: 370
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Brother I will be praying for you. I can't say anything else that will matter.
__________________
Carl

TOH # 678

IBA# 71308

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

17 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRX
Traxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #45
Jarrett
Forum Supporter
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 1,194
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Mike, that is a tough read. I know we've only recently met, but you seem like a great guy and I hate to hear this is happening in your life. I'm very sorry. I'll definitely be praying for you.

I don't know if this is applicable in your case as I know there are many types of dementia, but I've studied quite a bit about nutrition in the last few years and I've found where they are starting to call Alzheimer's specifically,"Type 3 Diabetes." In some circles, they are saying that drastically reducing carbohydrate intake can potentially help.

Here is the article where I first read about it:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...sier-you-think

Not sure if it is any help, but just wanted to mention it in case it might be. I've been trying to follow low carb/ketogenic diets for a couple of years now mostly for this reason.
__________________
The DCT Trio:
2016 VFR1200X
2016 CRF1000L
2012 NC700X
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #46
Jarrett
Forum Supporter
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 1,194
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

This article is buried inside the previous one seems promising:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3116949/
__________________
The DCT Trio:
2016 VFR1200X
2016 CRF1000L
2012 NC700X
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #47
KiwiTex
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 749
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Chief, so sorry to hear this news, it's a scary thing indeed.
There is little else I can do for you so I will do some more praying.
Wishing you and your family peace, courage and strength.
__________________
Smile! ….
it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
KiwiTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #48
Crew Chief
 
Crew Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rendon TX
Posts: 3,367
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

This is a pretty scary thing, but the fact is that there have been some good things happen too. That may be due to prayer. I can ask no more and I appreciate the time and effort greatly.

For the next several days I'm still notifying the people in my life that things are changing. After that I'll start looking into the situation more and at the information that has been provided to me. I will also likely start another thread to discuss this and other related issues. It will not be intended to be maudlin, but rather a realistic look at issues we all might face.

Thanks again folks. I'm sure the effort hasn't hurt and willing to bet it has helped bring about some of the good stuff.
__________________
Mike Brewster
'14 Super Tenere
'00 Suzuki DR-Z400 Yes, it has been to Mexico - Twice
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500


"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #49
South Tex
Forum Supporter
 
South Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Kosciusko
Posts: 250
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

If I can share a story. About 25 yrs ago I met an amazing friend. She had always wanted to be a nun, she had gone to college and got a degree in theology. She joined a monastery and then realized she had feelings for a man. She left, married, and had a child. He turned out to be a drunk wife beater. This is when I met her. She struggled through till one night he wrapped his car around a tree driving home drunk and died. No life insurance , no health insurance , a young child and no hope. Fate would have it that a real “jerk” we all knew caught her eye. Within months they married. he became an an amazing father and in the same time she was diagnosed and died of breast cancer.
God no doubt had a plan to bring her child into this world and also turn a man into a tremendous father.

Crew chief, enjoy each day and touch those around you. We all enjoy a m/c habit which is not the safest way to live. But our Lord has a plan for each of us.
South Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #50
Crew Chief
 
Crew Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rendon TX
Posts: 3,367
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Sure would be nice to know what it is, 'cause right now we aren't exactly singing from the same sheet of music, he said as lightheartedly as he can. As a musician I would sometimes get lost on the page. Maybe he'll point me to the right bar soon. I guess that's what prayer is for.
__________________
Mike Brewster
'14 Super Tenere
'00 Suzuki DR-Z400 Yes, it has been to Mexico - Twice
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500


"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #51
South Tex
Forum Supporter
 
South Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Kosciusko
Posts: 250
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Your twt signature says it all. Be a man of value. Our Lord will take care of the details.
South Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #52
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,456
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Sure would be nice to know what it is, 'cause right now we aren't exactly singing from the same sheet of music, he said as lightheartedly as he can. As a musician I would sometimes get lost on the page. Maybe he'll point me to the right bar soon. I guess that's what prayer is for.
That has been my whole life in a nutshell... I know some people that act like they have a VERY specific plan and they always know exactly what is next. My life has NEVER been any thing like that. So I do what your sig line says and hope for the best...
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #53
jorgepinera52
 
jorgepinera52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: fredericksburg
Posts: 114
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Just praying to God for you, to give you the strength need it to defeat whatever’s coming at you.
All the best


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jorgepinera52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #54
texasdw
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 4
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Praying for your wife.

The journey will be at least as long for her. If not more so.
texasdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #55
Crew Chief
 
Crew Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rendon TX
Posts: 3,367
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Well, I think I may have gotten some good news. My initial appointment at UTSW was not going to be until next month, but I got lucky and someone canceled so I was able to be seen last week. The doctor there took the diagnosis of Front Temporal Dementia pretty much off the table. That is such a debilitating diagnosis with few if any treatment options, that any distance I can get from that is welcome. He read the MRI much differently than the neurologist that I saw here locally and took the time to show me what he would have expected to see with that diagnosis and what he wasn't seeing. His reading is much closer to the radiologists, so I'm inclined to be hopeful. I must say my attitude is much improved.

So what is wrong? I dunno. Alzheimers is still on the table, but there are some early test results that may be pointing in different direction. One way or the other it may be a complex issue to diagnose and treat and I'm certainly not out of the woods yet.

In the meantime my cognition is still good, but my speech increasingly has a halting pattern and I have trouble recalling words sometimes or I use the wrong word. I'm also very tired and a bit jittery but I'm still in the fight.

I was going to start a thread to discuss some of the issues, but I was afraid that it would become maudlin and also to be frank, I've been very busy. This has reordered my priorities in a big way. I have several things that are not finished on this property, and I'm going to try and make sure they don't get left that way.

In the mean time, thanks for reading and caring and any prayers you have time for, I'd be happy to have you say. There's still a ways to go on this I think.
__________________
Mike Brewster
'14 Super Tenere
'00 Suzuki DR-Z400 Yes, it has been to Mexico - Twice
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500


"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #56
South Tex
Forum Supporter
 
South Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Kosciusko
Posts: 250
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Keep working on your property. That’s therapy for the soul and mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
South Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #57
Dahveed
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 2,259
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Well, I think I may have gotten some good news. My initial appointment at UTSW was not going to be until next month, but I got lucky and someone canceled so I was able to be seen last week. The doctor there took the diagnosis of Front Temporal Dementia pretty much off the table. That is such a debilitating diagnosis with few if any treatment options, that any distance I can get from that is welcome. He read the MRI much differently than the neurologist that I saw here locally and took the time to show me what he would have expected to see with that diagnosis and what he wasn't seeing. His reading is much closer to the radiologists, so I'm inclined to be hopeful. I must say my attitude is much improved.

So what is wrong? I dunno. Alzheimers is still on the table, but there are some early test results that may be pointing in different direction. One way or the other it may be a complex issue to diagnose and treat and I'm certainly not out of the woods yet.

In the meantime my cognition is still good, but my speech increasingly has a halting pattern and I have trouble recalling words sometimes or I use the wrong word. I'm also very tired and a bit jittery but I'm still in the fight.

I was going to start a thread to discuss some of the issues, but I was afraid that it would become maudlin and also to be frank, I've been very busy. This has reordered my priorities in a big way. I have several things that are not finished on this property, and I'm going to try and make sure they don't get left that way.

In the mean time, thanks for reading and caring and any prayers you have time for, I'd be happy to have you say. There's still a ways to go on this I think.
You're not showing any signs, IMHO, of anything. You seem plenty sharp to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Tex View Post
Keep working on your property. That’s therapy for the soul and mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Better yet, you should come work on my property!
__________________
'15 R1200GS
'08 WR250R



The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #58
Crew Chief
 
Crew Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rendon TX
Posts: 3,367
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
You're not showing any signs, IMHO, of anything. You seem plenty sharp to me!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Better yet, you should come work on my property!
Nice try. no cookie!
__________________
Mike Brewster
'14 Super Tenere
'00 Suzuki DR-Z400 Yes, it has been to Mexico - Twice
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500


"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #59
misterk
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Colleyville
Posts: 793
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Well that is somewhat encouraging. I guess the more things they can strike off the list, the closer they find the issue. I will keep praying for you and your family.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
misterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #60
Texas T
Forum Supporter
 
Texas T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 11,801
Re: I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
In the meantime my cognition is still good, but my speech increasingly has a halting pattern and I have trouble recalling words sometimes or I use the wrong word. I'm also very tired and a bit jittery but I'm still in the fight.
I'm assuming your Neuro ruled out a stroke or TIA?

Recalling and using wrong words is aphasia and apraxia and my wife had severe issues with both after her stroke 5 years ago. With the passing of time and the healing of the brain it has greatly improved, but there was a period of time where she could not verbalize a single short sentence correctly.
__________________


* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Prayer Requests

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-18.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.18070 seconds with 13 queries