• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado D/S

Same (old man) boat your in but not as simple with a girl friend and her two Yorkies But it works out. She likes to drive, me and dogs sleep and she stops ocassional to feed and water us. Like many from these parts, trailering the bike.
You might check this out. Rates better this time of year. Open to all riders. I'm not familiar with the area so their (advertised) map downloads for self guided rides is a big plus for me. Cabins are about 60 bucks less per night in Almont 20 miles south of Crested Butte. Just a normal commute distance for me. Filling up pretty quickly though. Two days up, two days back with three riding days in between.

http://www.ktmorangeevents.com/EventPage.aspx

Thanks. Almont is a great area for anything CO. Beautiful spot situated perfectly. And close enough to CB for a great steak at the Wooden Nickel.

Anyone going this year? I am a sr rider and interested in trails and jeep roads, just not the struggle over the boulders six inch ledge switchback stuff. Can ride anything, just controlling the risk exposure nowadays. Way past that. Riding buddies in my area have quit or died off in recent years so I need to find a like minded small group. Have decided I am past the point of riding alone there anymore. Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Salida, Taylor Park-Crested Butte, Divide, etc, its all good. July thru Oct is good for me. Plated XR4.

There is a group that goes to Colorado every year for the past 20+ years with whom I ride. I haven't gone for a couple years because I am getting older (67) and don't want to travel to CO alone. These guys usually ride mid to late August, stay in motels/cabins, and are in my age group. All are good guys to ride with. Their itinerary usually goes like this: 2/3 days in Sargents, cross country to Ouray through Lake City, two days in Ouray, back to Sargents, pick up gear and travel to Taylor Park (the cabins there), ride a couple days in TP then leave for home. We use radios for communication while riding, do some single track and jeep roads, but now we don't do the more arduous trails as some are in their seventies. Don't get me wrong these guys are all "A" class riders when they were younger and racing. So, they are more than competent.

I would like to ride with them this year because, for a couple of them it may be their last trip, but again, i don't want to travel alone. A two day trek to get there and back would be perfect. All or part of the itinerary can be ridden. I have chosen to ride just the first 3 days a couple years ago because of other demands. So the time spent can be tailored to suit time available.

If you would be interested in this kind of ride, please PM me. I need to hear soon because I need to verify with them, dates and rider counts.

Jim Peacock

Last edited:
My wife and I are headed up to Ouray on July 25th with our RV. We will be there for a couple of days, then move to Lake City. Hope to head to Taylor Park around the 1st of August for 3-4 days, then to Woodland Park until the 7th.

I can't help with transportation up there but if any of you want to meet along the way for a ride or are going to be there anyway and want to ride then let me know. I'm taking my plated KTM 500 and my wife's plated KTM Freeride 2-smoker. My wife is a very novice rider so we will be sticking to Jeep roads and light single track unless I can find someone to go hit some harder trails with. I'd love to run one pretty tough loop from Creede that I have tracks for but no way I'm taking my wife on it.

John

Brad and I are planning Taylor Park/Crested Butte 8/1-8/7. We will take our RV and our 4 legged kids. We will ride most days, but take a day or so to hike with the dogs as well. Not planning on riding anything too crazy - we aren't plated either. Just got the trails guide book and doesn't seem like not being plated will be an issue.

Deb to bad u and Brad are not going around the 14th. We just got back from 2weeks in UT/CO trip and I'm going back with a different group

As far as making secure plans I'm out guys. Family issues are creating unpredictable obstacles so I don't want to ruin anyone's trip. If I do anything it will be a spur of the moment deal if a window opens up. Or I may have a couple very nice bikes for sale. Sorry. :giveup:

Back