• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Semi-permanent SHNF thread

OK guys, here's TWT chance to help get the SHNF trails back into good shape again. ODODB and probably TRH are doing a workday on the west side trails. We are meeting at the west side ramp trailhead near Stubblefield Rd on FS 208 on 1/10/15 at 8:30am to clear trails. Jason, Mark and I cut out 15 trees today on the balloon loop to get it started. If you can, please attend and give us a hand, can never have too many volunteers for this.
Thanks, Larry / Buelligan

I agree with Irishcoffee. 20" width and log crossings are just about right. These trails are beginning to feel a lot like highways.

Ted are you referring to the HONEYMOON HIGHWAY" I maintain out there?

I am not referring to a particular trail. In general it seems that the trails keep getting wider and are becoming less challenging.

Well Ted I understand where you're coming from, but when you're 65 it's a challenge to just ride out there and don't need to have too many more obstacles to put me down on the ground. I've always found, the speed you travel out there can make it more challenging and if you really find it less challenging there because we cleared trails, might try picking up the pace some, guaranteed that will get the blood flowing for you.

I prefer the challenge without increasing speed too much, doesn't hurt as much! lol And TexasTed runs a real good pace!

Sorry Rob, I'm sure Ted is a real good rider. Point was that when you increase your speed, weather a beginner or pro, you have new and more challenges rather than letting the trails become less challenging because we cleaned them.
If the challenges Ted was referring to were fallen trees, these need to go away to keep the trail system safe for everyone. You know the challenges a 70 or 100 cc bike or 4 wheeler faces when they encounter a large fallen tree over the trail, they have to go around it and make a "bypass". The forestry service frowns on these and that's just one step closer to getting our trails shut down. This is why we have taken on the task of cleaning these trails and making them safe for everyone and doing whatever we can to keep the SHNF trails open year round.
Example of a challenging trail right now would be the woodpecker from start of big loop to end of big loop. Overgrown, down trees, roots sticking up all over, mud holes, limbs hitting your arms. If you really want challenging, this would be the place to ride, but do it quickly cause 1/10 we are clearing as much of that section as possible. Might never make it to highway status like the honeymoon trail, but will be passable and much more fun for all.
And Ted, sorry if I offended you but wasn't meant that way at all.

Understand the need to keep trails safe! Also, none of them are freeways in the forest, they'll all rough and interesting. My biggest concern is when the trails keep getting wide! We probably are guilty of trimming too far into the brush so we don't have to do it so often, understand.

My old club, property owners bought a bobcat, that was ridiculous, trails too wide, start getting a little rough, bam smooth them out. what happens when the owners aren't riders. One of the reasons they closed if rain was within a 100 miles, lol. No longer there.

Larry, I'm not offended. I just have a differing opinion of what a good motorcycle trail should be. :giveup: I tend to like riding the trails in a more natural state, but certainly not in the condition they were in after the drought. I have no issues with either the current condition of the Wood pecker trail or the condition of the Balloon loop. My last ride of the string and balloon loop from the 208 trailhead and back without shortcuts and with a brake adjustment break at the North West trailhead last Thanksgiving took a little more than 2.5 hours and certainly less than 3 hours. I think the pace of that ride was just about fast enough.

I'm with Ted and Rob. No one ever became a better rider by riding easy trails fast. Developing technique and increasing stamina is best done on difficult terrain. If only speed is the challenge, I'll choose another trail or location. Terrain and obstacles are the draw for me and I'm 69. I have a DS bike for dirt roads, etc. I really don't want the woods trails to become just another road. Speed is the devil in the woods. I still spend most of my time in LA because the trails are generally more challenging and true singletrack still exists. I think the open stuff is best enjoyed with a ClubCar, TaylorMade and Crown.

Iam in the middle of the road on trail maintenance Really.

also agree with all of you great riders that are much more experienced then the average adult weekend warrior type that gets there dirt fix closer to home. Challenges and dead trees roots are always part of the experience is what been said 99.9 % agree

I will do my part, whatever.. in keeping up with tradition!
the SHNF open for everyone and there families and friends so I can enjoy maybe a little bit at a time per month. (4 days per month or less for job reasons) with or without a maintained trail .

For me just being out in the woods there is enough for me since 1977

happy trails all and keep your feet on or off the pegs.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE !

With a few more rainy project days, and some backordered washers, screws and kickstarter oil seal, the WR500 very well may end up on the trails again.

Now I am off to the garage to replace a sticking KTM float and needle again.

[ame="http://youtu.be/cgRAEy5IDo8"]My Slideshow - YouTube[/ame]

Recently, I ran head on into a side-by-side on one of the trails on the East Side. Fortunately, I was able to get stopped before a collision. While I do appreciate all of the hard work by everyone keeping the trails in shape, if they're wide enough for a side-by-side, they're no longer single-track...

Recently, I ran head on into a side-by-side on one of the trails on the East Side. Fortunately, I was able to get stopped before a collision. While I do appreciate all of the hard work by everyone keeping the trails in shape, if they're wide enough for a side-by-side, they're no longer single-track...

Unfortunately manufacturers make special compact "Trail" versions of their side by sides that are exactly 50" wide so they are legal to use the trails. Full blown MX quads are usually right at the 50" width also. That's only 16" narrower than the car I tow my bike up to the forest with!

_

Just more ammunition for the greenies. All help is much appreciated but I still say cut the logs at 20 in max.

Boy, think maybe all you guys are right! 20" trails might be the way to go out there. This will be you guys way to secure your trail system the way you'd like it to be. On JANUARY 10, 2015, we at ODODB and TRH will be working the west side trails, just volunteer and we'll let you pick the area you want to work, you can cut all the 20" wide trail you want. We're starting at the west side trailhead with the ramp on FS208 at 8:30am, look forward to you getting these trails in shape to ride the way you want to ride them.

more of a way to not see them coming at us come on 20" get real blaze your own epic ride ..lol

more wild BILLY GOATS they will rough those trails in for ya :rofl:

No just an invitation to get the trails like you'd like them to be, hope to see you out there 1/10/15.

the NEW UNIMPROVED OUNDELAY FREEWAY SYSTEM coming soon!:rider:
20" bar banging gut pounding billy goat trails :giveup:

Back