• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sigma 150-600

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
This birding (or Rusty, I'm not sure which) is costing me a lot of money. lol

Last year, Rusty and I headed to Bosque DelApache National Wildlife Refuge and photographed birds. Upon our return, I went down to Precision and bought a D500 crop body which is probably about as good as my D4s in a lot of areas and better in some. Doh!

So this year, we're down at Precision again and I walk out with the Sigma 150-600 that I'll pair with the D500. So that's like 210-900mm. I've always been a bit skeptical about long zooms, but reviews said it was nice, I tried it on the D4s in the store and it seemed nice enough so I bought it.

Got the chance to take it out today for a very short time and paired to the D500.

Carolina Chickadee
i-mr92r9t-XL.jpg

Not sure what these are and it was a 'hip shot' at best. What I found interesting was how birds (or at least these birds) fly. I never would have thought they retract their wings that much in flight.
i-ms3RCm5-XL.jpg

Overall I'm pleased with the purchase. I think it will be fine for 'birding'.

I am looking forward to the results of this year's trip! :thumb:

So how much does it weigh...? Are you gonna shoot hand held only or will you be using a tripod as well?

This year we have a third photographer along. Deco on this site, Kyle by name. He has the Canon mount of that same lens. Hopefully he'll let me test it. I'll only have my 100-400mm with a 1.4 teleconverter on a crop body.

Back