• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Christmas Eve 2018, Clabourne multi-use trails

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
I'll be riding a loop or two on December 24th at the Claiborne multi-use trails.

I will most likely be camping the night before, making a fire and cooking food that has way too many nitrates. I might even drink a beer or two. Maybe.

Here's a link to the Loran Trailhead:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kisatchie/recarea/?recid=34645

I'm riding a plated dirt bike, a KTM 450 xc on a 20 mile loop. If the weather has been dry for a few days most any light DS bike with FRESH DIRT TIRES could make at least one loop, but honestly I wouldn't take a KLR out there. A DR650, while overweight might be ok. There are lots of bermed sand corners, short rutted climbs, and water holes that may have no bottom. Oh yeah, there's also lots of roots and opportunities to run into trees.

If anybody wants to come ride, I'm up to share a fire and sling some dirt.

Details to follow as interest is gauged, but I'd like to start my first loop before 9.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

I'd love to do this, but it is too soon for me. I'll need maybe 2-3 months more time off. Find some good stuff so we can do it in March. :mrgreen:

I was thinking yes but checked distance, 4 hours each way would be a stretch for Christmas eve, plus the extra traffic. Have fun!

I'm still doing this ride, but probably won't camp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

It was a great time, and the trails were prefect!

20181224_120851.jpg

20181224_133130.jpg

:thumb: I rode Sunday near Toledo Bend Dam and the weather was glorious! Holler next time you go to Claiborne, Cravens or Sandstone. Little notice please.

I'll try to give more notice, but I did post this Nov 22. Lol!

itching to get back out there- may try friday at sandstone weather permitting- i have never ridden there- it was closed the one time i drove all the way out there! Thank you government efficiency. Sandstone closes Jan1 til like May or something. Apparently the rouxgaroux mates that time of year.

I know but just a request.
If I came off as snarky I didn't mean it that way.

I'll definitely post the next time I head out there, wheather it is planned or last minute, and either way I'd like to ride with you.

Regarding Sandstone the long closure is strange, never understood that and it is a long drive. The Kisatchie NF site does give good info on the areas closed though, I have found them to be dependable. I can't go tomorrow, will be taking my wife to Houston for a back procedure. Looks like the sun may be out but you better ck for closures after todays rains. Have fun!

Closed due to govt shutdown. Once again, good ol gov efficiency.
Build that wall Nancy!

Then no Rangers should be on duty. I say install quiet pipe inserts and ride it!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Blew it off for work, that’s a long way to drive to get runt off and a ticket as well as possibly cut short. Guess I’ll try there next year. Had enough rain personally-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably rode dirty on Christmas Eve. I didn't realize it was closed. Everything was open and I paid my paid my $5, but thinking about it now I don't even know if there is a gate to close.

I checked it just before your post, and the website didn’t say closed. But who knows, I haven’t had as good of luck as Irish has with reliable info about closings. Recordings and web has been wrong for me multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claiborne is not gated like Cravens is. I wonder if there are rangers patrolling during the shutdown. The problem is that the govt does not allow "I didn't know" to avoid a ticket. The only ticket I ever got was in the Angelina and it was substantial.

I spoke with one of the rangers a few years ago and the fines are pretty ridiculous. Things like riding a plated bike on the road and trail are finable. His rationale was it confuses other non plated riders into thinking its ok to ride the roads. Dont pay the trailhead fee and get a ticket, on and on. I like to be a good steward of the trails and public land, but if you get lost and have to ride on a road to find a way out or risk pushing a bike out after running out of gas and are caught- ticket! I understand the logic- there has to be order but the whole idea of ticketing ds bikes for riding the road is dumb. And fines are pretty high although I dont remember them now.

I'm plated and paid the $5. I'd be down for a legal fight if I was ticketed for riding on the trails or the road.

Back