• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Hachie

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Dave. Currently I ride a Vulcan Voyager but I am interested in transitioning to dual sport. I want to sell my Voyager and get a DS bike but there are so many choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't ridden off road so there will be a learning curve too.

Hi, my name is Dave. Currently I ride a Vulcan Voyager but I am interested in transitioning to dual sport. I want to sell my Voyager and get a DS bike but there are so many choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't ridden off road so there will be a learning curve too.

Aloha and welcome to TWT. ON the DS bike it will depend on how tall you are and if you will be ridding on the highway much. If you are just mainly back roads and limited to no highways a Kawasaki or Honda 250 or Dr350 Suzuki would be good. For more highway a BMW 650 single or twin,DR650,XR Honda,or a bigger enduro like a KTM or BMW GS would make a killer bike if your tall enough. KP

Janet, Things are good, thanks.

Kickstand, I am 5'11" and I'm sure most of my riding will be on pavement, due to the lack of dirt tracks, at least as far as I know. I am used to big touring bikes and I have ridden a KTM SMT. I would like a BMW 1200 GS but it would have to be used. I'm seriously considering a new KLR 650 purely because of it's history and price.

What shift are you on now, David? We need to meet up in town for a beer and catch up.

Janet, Things are good, thanks.

Kickstand, I am 5'11" and I'm sure most of my riding will be on pavement, due to the lack of dirt tracks, at least as far as I know. I am used to big touring bikes and I have ridden a KTM SMT. I would like a BMW 1200 GS but it would have to be used. I'm seriously considering a new KLR 650 purely because of it's history and price.

A Suzuki Vee-strom would be a good selection. Any BMW street and trail would work also. The KLR and the DR are both good off road bikes but limited speed wise on asphalt. They are happiest around 60-65 according to my ridding buddies that have them. The GS single and twin or 800Gs are all dirt worthy. The 650 or 1000 Strom would fit you well also. So many good bikes to choose from it is hard to decide. Might have to flip a coin.

Welcome!
Not sure if I should admit it or not, but I went to school (college) in Hachie.

Yeah, last time I drove they there was a Chik fil a! I would have killed to have that :lol2:
All we had was chicken express and jack in the box ( before it moved my wal mart).
I graduated SAGU in 2001 and stayed in hachie another year until my wife (then fiancé) graduated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do miss the DFW area. I had a Kawasaki zephyr 750 in college. I'd ride all around that area. I'd usually find myself out near lake bardwell (I think that was it) and lake waxahachie. I use to drive my truck on the trails around lake waxahachie before they built the neighborhoods.
It is a neat little town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welcome: From San Marcos,Tx. Lots of different DS drivers hereabouts who can help you make an informed decision. Good Luck.

Back