• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Missed the BMW recall... got bit.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab So I was out riding this weekend, having a grand time since I have not been able to get in a good ride in quite some time, and I started getting a whiff of gas... We stopped at Yankee's Tavern over in Carlos off Hwy 30 for some iced tea before the last leg back to Huntsville. When I pulled up and parked, I got a REALLY strong gas smell... :huh2: Further examination revealed fuel dripping from the side fairing onto my left header pipe :shock: I pulled the fairing to get a look at where the fuel line comes out of the pump... gas everywhere :-? I popped the quick disconnect and pulled the fuel line to inspect it. There were no obvious issues, so I cleaned the O-ring hoping that maybe some dirt/grit had worked in there and was causing a leak. I was hoping I could make the 30-35 mile run back home without a problem. However... when I started the bike to leave, I barely got 50 feet before realizing gas was gushing out all over the place under the fairing. I left a trail across the parking lot. So I parked it and called Beth. She brought the truck and trailer to retrieve me.

:tab A quick Google this morning turns up that there was a recall issued on the fitting that connects the hose to the pump. It was issued in Jan of 2014. I've barely been able to ride the BMW this year so I haven't been keeping up with such things. Thank goodness it didn't come apart while I was riding and gush gas all over the hot engine... Before I pulled it and cleaned the o-ring, it was just a drip. When I restarted, it started squirting out pretty constant and heavy when I went to pull away! Anyway, no injury to me or bike. Just smelly pants. Looks like I'll be heading down to Wild West in a week or so to get the recall work done.

I broke mine on my 05 RT. LSBMW fixed it while still on the trailer.

Wow, talk about lucky. That could have been real bad. Glad it worked out. I saw last week where WW lost their GM and PM, so beware of the newbiews in the shop.

Wow, talk about lucky. That could have been real bad. Glad it worked out. I saw last week where WW lost their GM and PM, so beware of the newbiews in the shop.

Dave Krogman is no longer the BMW tech? As long as he is there, I don't have a problem with them doing the work. I am not wild about Gulf Coast because of some past issues. Lone star is a long drive... not that Katy is real close :giveup:

I wonder if I might be better off just buying the new part and replacing it myself. IF I understand correctly, it is just a replacement of the 90 degree fitting and maybe a new o-ring. I don't think there is an issue with the socket the connector plugs into. Given the distance to Katy and back, at least twice if I have to leave the bike, parts would be cheaper than gas and lost time driving back and forth.

Dave Krogman is no longer the BMW tech? As long as he is there, I don't have a problem with them doing the work. I am not wild about Gulf Coast because of some past issues. Lone star is a long drive... not that Katy is real close :giveup:

I wonder if I might be better off just buying the new part and replacing it myself. IF I understand correctly, it is just a replacement of the 90 degree fitting and maybe a new o-ring. I don't think there is an issue with the socket the connector plugs into. Given the distance to Katy and back, at least twice if I have to leave the bike, parts would be cheaper than gas and lost time driving back and forth.

Not sure about Dave, but big shake up last week over there. I would see if they would supply the parts and do it myself if I were you. Heck, you know how to get in there pretty quick now I bet after that fiasco.

It is more than the fitting. It is the flange on the fuel pump. The recall puts in a new pump and fittings.

There is also a warranty extension for the fuel stip (gauge) to 12 years so if yours is acting up, get that replaced for free also.

I had both pumps on my GSA replaced earlier this year on the recall. The right crossover pump failed and they replaced both of them. I waited even though I was aware of it and almost got bit. Lucky it started to leak while I was just going down the road for coffee on a Saturday morning. The Plano BMW Motorcycle dealer had it ready before 11am that morning.

Found a puddle of gas under mine one morning at work. Cranked it up and it was spewing gas so I took it in for the recall. They put the new pump assy in and still had gas spewing. They found the culprit to be the plastic QD so they replaced it with a steel one. Had to pay for the QD but got a new fuel pump assy for free. :trust:

Got it home and still smelt gas so inspected the return side and sure enough it was leaking when the bike was running. After investigation, found they nicked the o-ring on that QD when re-assembling it after the collar instal on that side.. :doh:

Just can't find good help these days. :giveup:

They replaced more than that on mine. It sounded expensive if I had to pay for it. Gulf Coast did me right. You might call and check.

BTW I too was stranded at Yankee's this weekend but on Friday. An unrepairable flat on the mini Adv bike (WR250R) was my issue. The employees at Yankee's were accommodating and tried to help out :clap:. Lucky for me some fellow TWTs, jqueen, JMQ2 and c4nuck were there to bail me out. :thumb:

Last edited:
Scott,

Sorry to read this... Hope you get it sorted in short order.

:Rant:

I regrettably think that Gulf Coast is going to be our only real option anymore. I have not used them for service before as each time that the opportunity has presented itself, I would call and get a quote and they either wouldn't tell me a ball park or they would quote much higher than LSBMW would. I have purchased some consumables and maintenance items from them at what I feel were good prices, to be fair , if not deals. Gulf Coast would improve their "vibe" if they would quit treating me like it should be my privilege to be graced with their presence though. They do have me as a captive audience member though, and that might be the reason as they know they are all that is left.

Wild West... well, they will never see a penny from me again and I hope that none of my friends give them any business either. Yes I hold a grudge. I mean, wouldn't you if they kept your bike for more than 120+ days for warranty repair work and then attempt to charge you for their blunders.

I miss LSBMW :tears:

Last edited:
They just don't make BMW's like they used to.

You mean like back in the 30's?

My 2000 LT had plastic QD fittings that make getting the tank off easier but they failed. Happens to every LT with the plastic QDs. Been like that since 1999.
Amazes me BMW it still getting it wrong on fuel fittings.

That's because they (BMW) make the most reliable motorbike on the planet and it's the rider's fault these things fail... Ask em,,, go on, ask em. :lol2:

:tab Well, I did not realize the recall work was so extensive. I guess I'll take it to the dealer. I just wish they weren't all so far away.

:tab So far, Lone Star and Wild West have been the only dealers, of any brand, that I have had good experiences with related to service. Parts usually aren't an issue as I tend to just order them online since few dealers stock much of anything that I've ever needed. The Woodlands BMW dealer was a complete and total disaster. It is no wonder they were only open for a very short time! Wild West did me right on that recent final drive/brake rotor flange thing and it was done in a timely manner. I figure I'll call them and see if they have the parts or can get them by the time I get the bike down there.

70's-80's were the peak, good old straight air cooled.
I would love to have a good old toaster tank model.

Several years ago I had a 1150 GSA. I bought it used. It came with a clear hose in a neat little pouch and on the end of hose was a quick disconnect fitting. Someone told me it was for transferring fuel, after removing a quick disconnect fitting from the fuel pump, into whatever you wanted to transfer fuel into.
Now, the point of this story is, a year or three later, I was buying gas at the local Marquez store and low and behold what do I see but a rack of many quick disconnect fittings. Yes, after testing my BMW hose, it plugged in perfectly. A "coke tech " was changing out the soda fountain in the store. Now, I didn't reasearch what material the orings were made of, but the fittings were the same. And that's the story.

If you purchase a used motorcycle, does the commercial dealer (or maybe the seller) have any responsibility to address or state any pending recalls on record? If the motorcycle is purchased from a second party, how does the manufacturer get the correct address of the current owner?

...they had an TV expo on this a similar topic involving the sale of used cars by commercial dealers who were aware of pending recalls, but sold the cars hiding that fact.

I usually call a dealership and provide my VIN every year and get information on the latest service bulletins and safety recalls.

RB

Recalls will follow to the current owner. In my case BMW followed up on a warranty extension for the fuel strip. My gas gauge is a little wonky, but I am not sure it is bad enough to take advantage of the warranty extension. BMW extended it to subsequent owners too, as I am not the original owner of the GS.

Recalls will follow to the current owner. In my case BMW followed up on a warranty extension for the fuel strip. My gas gauge is a little wonky, but I am not sure it is bad enough to take advantage of the warranty extension. BMW extended it to subsequent owners too, as I am not the original owner of the GS.

The fuel gauges on 05s are wonky at best. They go from full to half and back again when you approach the half tank level. Same can be said when you get to the low fuel alarm trip point. They tried to fix mine a couple times before BMW told them that's the way it is.

Back