• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Want to take a second MSF course

mcs92

Reaction score
I got my endorsement when I was 17 (I'm now 22) and rode my dads bike on and off for the next few years. After I got my degree last may and started working in Houston I picked up a bike and started riding regularly and I'm getting my sea legs back which is good!

Now that I have a bike of my own, I want to take one of the more advanced MSF courses. There are more options now than I remember seeing a few years ago. I'm looking at either the basic rider course 2 or the advanced rider sport bike course. Anybody be willing to share a story or lend some advice?

Thanks in advance!

BRC2? News to me. I did the Advanced Riders Courts instead of defensive driving. It's the "fun part" of the BRC on your own bike.

Yeah it was news to me, too. Leaning towards the advanced rider course. Seems like an appropriately sized step up from the BRC given my experience.

BRC2 (Basic Rider course 2 AKA Experienced rider course )

Is a great option for someone wanting to refine their corning, braking, maneuvering skills on their bike vs the trainer bikes likley used at BRC.

The Advanced Rider course (ARC) or Military Sport Bike Riders course (MSRC) only available to Military folks (or DOD at a Mil post that have garrison commander approval to use that asset ) is a better course for a experienced rider that is comfortable on their bike and looking to improve corning and braking skills.

MSF also has Bike Bonding , ultimate bike bonding and others

http://www.msf-usa.org/students.aspx#BRCCollapsable

I Teach several of these courses in the Killeen, Hutto, Austin area, but could point you to a school in the Huston area if interested.

Last edited:
BRC2 is way different from the newer ARC- Advanced RiderCourse.

ARC
A one-day course that complements a rider's basic skills and helps with personal risk assessment. It includes a fast-paced classroom segment with several interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness. Range exercises enhance both basic skills and crash avoidance skills. Improving braking and cornering finesse is emphasized. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle.

BRC2
For riders who already have basic skills. It is similar to the BRC except the speeds are higher and riders should be riding their own motorcycle. It is an excellent refresher course for practicing and renewing basic riding skills. There is an informal classroom component that discusses safety concepts based on past riding experiences and current knowledge. For a BRC2 minus the license waiver component (no classroom activities and no knowledge or skill test), there is a skills practice offering.

At first glance, they seem kinda the same to me. Does one focus on accident avoidance more than rider skill or something?

At first glance, they seem kinda the same to me. Does one focus on accident avoidance more than rider skill or something?

ARC uses 8 exercises

Basic Control
Quick Stops
Stopping Demonstration
Curve Adjustments
Cornering and Swerving
Multiple Curves
Decreasing Radius Curves
Gap Analysis and Safety Margins

BRC2 introduces only one new exercise as compared to the basic course; Multiple Curves. The other 8 exercises in BRC2 are the same as BRC but done at higher speeds, on your bike with a focus on precision and finesse. It is a great refresher, or for someone looking to refine skills learned on a personal bike vs the usually much smaller trainer bikes.

ARC (virtually the same as MSRC) is a better course for a experienced rider that is comfortable on their bike and looking to improve corning and braking skills.

That is a FANTASTIC answer! Exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Your welcome

Valker has been in the MSF game worlds longer than I,,, SO I look forward to hearing his opinion on the subject

Your welcome

Valker has been in the MSF game worlds longer than I,,, SO I look forward to hearing his opinion on the subject

I didn't respond after you did because I couldn't say it any better!:clap:

Back