• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Little D90 surprise....

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Duke said I needed to bring along my 10-20mm Siggy on a recent trip so I did just that. He said I also needed to bring along my remote timer release, so again, I tossed it in the bag.

That little D90 really surprised me this time.

45sec exposure
Tripod mounted D90 with the Siggy ranging from f/11 to f/22

James Canyon roadside park outside Alamogordo/Weed, NM on 130
DSC_3173-1-XL.jpg

Balmorhea State Park at night (big storm rolling off in the mountains too)
DSC_3345-109-XL.jpg

Sunrise at Balmorhea State Park
DSC_3361-112-XL.jpg

And a little daytime Fall colors around Los Alamos
DSC_3222-41-XL.jpg

Last edited:
:thumb: :clap: :rider:

very very happy you took the wide angle lens with you on the trip. I hope you had fun with it too.

Love those tent shots, they really tell a story all by themselves.

So Scott, is there a trip report with more pictures forthcoming?

Tim, I've finished post on a trip sequence, and am beginning to wade into the culling of video clips now. So yeah, at some point we will have a trip report of some variety.

I can't say enough about this little D90 I've had for a bunch-o-years. The little thing just surprised me on this trip. And the wide/super-wide was just plain old fun to shoot. Sure puts a different perspective on the "How" you shoot too!

Scott,

Great images, hopefully a ride report is forthcoming. Good to see you out touring again.

pirate.gif

RB

Great shots!
Those tent ones are fantastic! Makes me want to get out and go camping. They really stir an emotional response in a good way.
Those are the type of pics you see in REI are other brand catalogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in Albuquerque and spent a lot of summers in the Jemez. These great pics sure do make me miss the area!

....They really stir an emotional response in a good way.
Those are the type of pics you see in REI are other brand catalogs.

Wow. That's the nicest comment I've had on any of my shots. Thank you. :hail:

I've tried some long-exposure night shots on my D60, and they just break down into way too much background noise.

I didn't do anything to noise in LR/Post with these.... Yeah, I was amazed too. I think ISO 1000 too.

What might be really cool, take two shots of this, one like the first with the tent really bright. Then for the second, turn the tent light off and really bring out the sky and stars. Then photoshop them together with the lit up tent against the "brighter" sky backdrop.
Did that make sense?

What might be really cool, take two shots of this, one like the first with the tent really bright. Then for the second, turn the tent light off and really bring out the sky and stars. Then photoshop them together with the lit up tent against the "brighter" sky backdrop.
Did that make sense?

or use the bulb setting in one shot, maybe? stars for 60 sec, tent light on/off.

I did use the bulb setting along with my remote trigger. The first tent shot was a brighter light than the second one. And there was zero wind on the first but kind of windy on the second so a slight blurr

That Balmorhea night shot is great!

Super shots, Scott! Really like #1 and #3.

Star shots are not easy, the D90 did fantastic here.

Amazing shots. I have recently become aware of all the beautiful sights I pass on my bikes and what a lousy job a mobile phone cam does of capturing the images so I got a little Samsung nx300 in hopes of having better imaged of sights seen during my travels. Now all I have to do is learn how to use it.

Hang out in this little corner of twt and ask any questions!
What is a decent photo editing suite? My camera came with Adobe photo shop lightroom. Will that suffice for a beginner aspiring to be a novice?

Lightroom or LR as we call it is a wonderful package, especially if you already have it! Others use some flavors of the Photoshop suite as well as a few others out there.

If you take the shot right, then Lightroom is not only good enough, but more than enough for most photographers. If you need multiple layers, advanced cloning/healing, content fill, pano stitching, and so forth, then you might need something a little more.

That being said, I have an older version of Photoshop as well as Lightroom, and I use Lightroom 99% of the time.

And shoot RAW instead of .jpg for every shot (unless shot volume or hardrive space considerations warrant otherwise)

Back