• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photogs... what bags do you use to carry an SLR

Shaggy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hershberger
Would like to start carrying the camera around on my rides and am looking for a good bag for a digital SLR.

Recommendations?

Probably a tailbag of some sort, because I don't think a tankbag would have enough padding for a lens and camera.

You missed the FZ6 gathering today dude. It was pretty fun.

I am having same problem. I want to carry Minolta A1, but it is a bit heavy for a tank bag. Wife said put it in saddle bag. But when I wnat to shoot I don't want to have to unsnap, unzip or whatever. And I don't like heavy camera around neck.
I did go get a Nikon L5 and with a strap it isn't that heavy and seem to take fair photos. Will play some more with it to see if I will use it or still carry the Digi-SLR
Can't find a tank bag in San Angelo nor in Abilene.
Just tank tops! :-)

You might stop by your local Wolf (or other camera shop) & take your camera with your preferred lens with you. I use a Tamrac for my digital SLR & with my 28-200mm lens on the camera, it goes nicely into the bag (clearly the bag was designed for a SLR with a zoom /telephoto lens on it) & is well protected. It has a few external zippered pockets & a small inner one (good for extra CF cards) & has an inner shield / flap that can be zipped shut if desired (like in the event of rain), plus it has the main "lid" which flips over & clips shut. If I'm doing much shooting when riding, I wear the bag across my chest with the camera at my side. I can quickly open the bag, grab the camera, take a shot, put it away & get going again.

If I'm a mode where even that is too slow, then I use my older, smaller digital & wear it around my neck with out its case.

Last edited:
I also have several good regular non motorcycle bags that I have for my D70 and now D200. They are like jackets....you cant have just one to do everything. Was hoping there might be something specific for motorcycles that I just havent come across yet, but it looks like I might have to make my own

I have a LowePro bag that fits my Canon 10D w/ a zoom lens attached. They make great stuff and in fact all my bags for the digital SLR are LowePro.

I gues you could strp it down to the rear seat w/ bungee's???
I ride a scooter so I just stick it in the trunk or the topcase. ;-)

I used to carry my D200 and a zoom inside a Tamrac bag either in one of the panniers or in the tankbag. Never had a problem.

Now I carry an amazing compact Canon G6 in my mini Cortech tankbag everywhere, protected by a cheapo Walmart case. I couldn't be happier, the D200 stays home.

I load my camera, 3 lenses, a tripod, and two extra batteries in my tank bag. Haven't had any problems. I do have some memory foam on the bottom of the bag though.

Memory foam is fine, but ANY foam will do the trick, don't break your neck trying to find some. Just get a good tank bag online...peruse your particular bike's forum for suggestions for what works best with it, and put some foam in it. Cameras are tougher than we typically think they are. I've carried SLRs across three continents, traveling on buses, cars, trains, motorcycles, bicycles, you name it.

Heck, I've got a bunch of 1" foam. Send me your bag dimensions if you can't find a piece locally, and I'll mail you a piece you can cut to fit.

The first rule of photography is Be There. With a Camera. :zen: :zen:

For what it's worth, I have a very good digital SLR with a good lens. I also have a itty Nikon digicam with umpty megapixels. Guess which one I take along, 99% of the time?

In fact, you don't even need foam, a folded travel blanket or sweatshirt will do it. Just have some form of padding and the camera/lens will be fine.

I've got a nelson riggs tank bag, and the foam is pretty thin, it was just a left-over piece I found around the house. I don't put the foam in there all the time either, I keep a polartec scarf folded in the bottom, and that seems to work out alright too.

Get thick foam (like the Pelican case inserts) and cut and shape it to fit in the tank bag. Make individual spaces for each piece of your photog equipment, and then take another thin piece of foam and lay it on top before you close the bag or even velcro it to the cover of the bag so you don't have to mess with it.

Scott (Tourmeister) did this with his camera goodies on his GS, and I loved the idea but didn't have a nice enough camera to take up that much space.

Squeaky said:
Get thick foam (like the Pelican case inserts) and cut and shape it to fit in the tank bag. Make individual spaces for each piece of your photog equipment, and then take another thin piece of foam and lay it on top before you close the bag or even velcro it to the cover of the bag so you don't have to mess with it.

Scott (Tourmeister) did this with his camera goodies on his GS, and I loved the idea but didn't have a nice enough camera to take up that much space.
I've thought about doing that to my top case for my Canon XL1s but Ive never gotten around to it.

Hi
I use a Lowepro Rover AW II Backpack Camera Bag when riding my DR650 in the outback.
It's great with the bottom part holds my Canon 350d, flash, and three lens.
The top half carries food and water, very comfortable on long runs.

Attachments

• bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 154
I've been taking a look at my Manta tank bag, and it looks just big enough to carry my 300D, a lens, and necessary extra batteries and cards with some room to spare. Unless you're carrying a huge telephoto lens, that might be an option.

Back