• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWTennesseans? It's been a great ride.....(Now heading to Colorado)

Yes, actually. And run up it. Have already hiked up it and that picture I shared earlier is the Manitou Incline which goes up the side of Pikes. 2000' elevation gain in 9/10 of a mile. We climb it frequently. Great workout.

The incline is brutal! I plan on making it part of my regular routing when I'm up there. My goal is twice a month.

If you're looking for a great hike, the Decalibron loop is awesome! It hits four 14ers in an 8ish mile loop. (Democrat, Lincoln, Cameron, and Bross)

And one of my goals is to cycle up Pike's. Have a bit of training to do first, haven't been on the road bike in a while.

A must also is snow shoeing at Echo lake in the dead of winter.
And a little cross country skiing is always a plus.

I used to sneak into golf courses to do that. Hehe

For the snow mobiles. Lake Granby is a good one.
Too much to list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more although I had a loaner waterhead GS and I alllllmost traded my oilhead GSA for it on the spot. Then I saw the sticker price. :shock: Truth is I didn't want to lose all the stickers on my cases. :trust:

Light weight and FI are EXACTLY why I bought the WR. Well, that and the hundreds of miles of NF roads in my back yard. :rider: It may be my favorite bike I've had so far.

My in-laws live on the Alpine Loop so I imagine the WR will be bombing back and forth between Lake City, Ouray, and Silverton a great deal with some trips up to Taylor Reservoir, Tin Cup and such.

:tab It is blasphemy to speak of getting rid of a GS, unless you are replacing it with another GS :-P

:tab The more I ride my 1200 GS on the unpaved stuff, the more I like it. Of course, it is not my choice for the really rough stuff. However, for most any forest service or county road, it simply does really well. This is especially true if I am carrying one of my kids with me. I keep a set of TKC 80s (or something similar) on it all the time. I quit messing around with those 50/50 adventure tires since I don't do long road trips on it. I usually end up taking more than one bike so we typically trailer to our destination. This lets me really enjoy the bike with the better tires without using them up to get there. I also have Ohlins suspension on front and rear, which makes a BIG difference. I'd never try to use it for single track though... :whatever:

:tab Your WR is a great choice! There were several in a group of riders with us in Colorado back in 2010 and they had a blast doing the high passes around Telluride, Ouray, Lake City, etc,... Being on a KLR 650 at the time, I was a bit envious of their light weight and fuel injection.

The incline is brutal! I plan on making it part of my regular routing when I'm up there. My goal is twice a month.

If you're looking for a great hike, the Decalibron loop is awesome! It hits four 14ers in an 8ish mile loop. (Democrat, Lincoln, Cameron, and Bross)

And one of my goals is to cycle up Pike's. Have a bit of training to do first, haven't been on the road bike in a while.

Love the Incline. I'll meet you there for a workout. Glad to try to cycle PP road with you, too. Message me and we can trade contact info.

Agree on the humidity. Just spent Wednesday night in Chattanooga after driving/hiking on the Blue Ridge Parkway and was glad to get home to Austin where it felt dry (but wasn't).

Agree on the humidity. Just spent Wednesday night in Chattanooga after driving/hiking on the Blue Ridge Parkway and was glad to get home to Austin where it felt dry (but wasn't).

Would've been glad to put you up. Sorry I missed you.

Would've been glad to put you up. Sorry I missed you.

I appreciate the offer, but it was a sudden decision. Midday, on the parkway, my 24 year old daughter tells me she would rather get back to Austin sooner than our original plan. The plan was to spend the week working our way back. So, to save a vacation day for me, we headed towards home when we reached Roanoke. Got to Chattanooga late and we just pulled in for a quick sleep. Got up early to make it home in a day. And I'm sitting at my desk today. Hopefully I get to go to Arkansas next week on the bike as compensation for an aborted vacation. Yeah, I'm a bit peeved.

Good luck man. Retiring from full time work young enough to enjoy life is the dream. For me at least. But doubt it will happen lol.

I hate winter, it was one reason I accepted the job at AA and moved here. I know it gets cold here but nothing like the months of single digits and feet of snow we got in PA. Some folks love it, I am not one of those folks.

Back