TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #41
sanderjavant

Re: 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 2017 - What Happened?

Sometimes a nap is just what you need.

DSC00731 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #42
Westtexasadv

My son and I attended and had an absolute blast. We teamed up with Jerry from Dallas area and Keith from San Antonio for 3 of the days. We rode hard usually 11-12 hours a day with very short breaks for a picture and a jerky snack.
It was my sons first off roading of any type. He has only been riding for about 4 months so he had a learning curve, but after a day he looked like a pro. He only had 3 offs at low speed. All due to large rocks knocking him off balance.
We did right at 700 miles of riding in 3.5 days.
If it had Canyon in the name I think we hit most of them. We did the NMBDR route from Weed to Westside before lunch on Tuesday. We went all the way to White Sands one morning to get a picture and pick up some spare tubes for Jerry's many front pinch flats on his GS800 (3 total).
We missed a lot of trails after coming home and marking up the map and rating the terrain for future reference.
We usually meet other riders during breakfast or dinner. We really enjoyed meeting everyone and look forward to going back next year.
If you haven't been to Cloudcroft put it on your to do list. The number of trails is overwhelming at first if I'm being honest, but we managed to get familiar with it after a few days.
Westtexasadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #43
_RG_

Well, 1000 Mile Canyon ain’t what it used to be and that’s about the nicest way I can say it.

If evidence of an abnormal year of high rainfall hadn’t been obvious thus far, here it was before us in living color. Dirt – mostly gone. Rocks – yeah. Fallen trees – plenty. And, as an added bonus we have this knee deep trench running right down the middle of the trail from top to bottom. It’s like somebody went in there with a backhoe and dug this straight walled monster all the way down the mountain. Both sides of the trail angled to funnel everything right into the ditch.

Avoiding that trench meant weaving back and forth across it - jumping the thing numerous times on our decent and several spots didn’t really lend themselves to doing that.

It is entirely possible to ride this trail and was even a lot of fun doing so - in a sadistic sort of way but…

There were two very important details that I didn’t know right then.

One – Jbay had a broken rear brake line, no brake fluid and thus no rear brake.

Two – His motorcycle has a Rekluse auto clutch.

And, we’re going down a pretty steep hill washed out so bad that berm surfing is an absolute necessity.

So, imagine now trying to point your front tire across this ditch on a trail that’s maybe four feet wide with rocks out the wazzoo, no rear brake, steep downhill angles, you’re just about exhausted – oh – and you have zero engine braking. Sounds like a real hoot, eh?

I took one look at the trailhead and started to bail on this one – might should’ve anyway. But, I didn’t.

Once we made it down the mountain we’d run right into pavement. Then it’s just a smooth scenic waste of good engines, tires, gasoline and time all the way back to camp (No, I don’t like pavement).

Pretty steep, it’s downhill, loose rocks, gravity being what it is – we’ll make it to the bottom one way or another.

Soon as we turned the first corner the trail dropped over the hill, the trench appeared and turning back on those rocks wasn’t about to happen. You are committed. So now, friends, we ride motorcycles.

To Be Continued…

Last edited by _RG_; 08-17-2017 at 06:33 PM.
_RG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #44
Jbay

http://www.actsmissions.org/

KTM 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
Jbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #45
sanderjavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
I took one look at the trailhead and started to bail on this one
From an A rider like you that says a lot!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #46
JoToPe

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
Well, 1000 Mile Canyon ainít what it used to be and thatís about the nicest way I can say it.

Soon as we turned the first corner the trail dropped over the hill, the trench appeared and turning back on those rocks wasnít about to happen. You are committed. So now, friends, we ride motorcycles.

To Be ContinuedÖ

Woohoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JoToPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #47
texas drz

was anyone on a drz on this ride? I go ride up there often and I took my drz for the first time in june. it ran really bad, I'm going back in September and would like to know what jets are best up there. I have a 39 pumper carb, full exhaust, and 3x3 mod.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
texas drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #48
sanderjavant

No experience will a DR-z. For my XR400R with a pumper carb I usually drop 2 sizes on the main and went 1 size smaller on the pilot this year. I was a little lean, I'll probably just drop one size on the main if that next year. The guys I ride with on WR450s don't even rejet and get away with it. Of course every bike is different, sometimes even the same make and model, and mods.

jetting by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr
Old 08-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #49
texas drz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderjavant View Post
No experience will a DR-z. For my XR400R with a pumper carb I usually drop 2 sizes on the main and went 1 size smaller on the pilot this year. I was a little lean, I'll probably just drop one size on the main if that next year. The guys I ride with on WR450s don't even rejet and get away with it. Of course every bike is different, sometimes even the same make and model, and mods.

jetting by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Thanks, I have taken a cfr230, xt250, and xr650l all up there and never rejetted. They all ran fine with a little power loss. That's why I was surprised when the drz ran so bad. I think it's just too rich to begin with. I'm pulling the carb this weekend and starting from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
texas drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #50
sanderjavant

If they do this again next February I may do a race / ski combo.

HH by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr