• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Safety class help?!

ke5awf

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Beucler
Ok, so got my ninja up and running!! :rider:

Now comes the taking the safety class. For those of you who dont know me, I have a Kawasaki Ninja 500r with a custom clutch setup on the right side handlebar due to the lack of strength in my left hand.

So spent a good chunk of today calling around asking different facilities if they would allow me to use my bike, no one would say yes. Finally called Austin DMV they said no you shouldn't have any problems, they made some calls, finally got one who would let me use the bike. Burleson's class for the win, Sadly it is on a saturday/sunday schedule.

Im seventh day adventist and tend to not do work/class on saturday. The private sessions are $700!!!! Any suggestions? Between work/church, It seems to be a real pain to get these classes done.

Should of borrowed a bike a few years ago and done the test then :/ Anyways any thoughts or suggestions I would love to hear. Thanks!

Last edited:
Several places have weekday classes. ANY of the sites in Texas WILL accommodate you riding your own bike with modifications. They may have to be reminded or educated about it, but Austin DPS/MSU will do that if needed (as you stated) or I will be glad to if needed.

So then I should just find one that fits the days that work for me? Then show up?

Because it was frustrating to repeatedly here no you can't do that.

Several TWTers teach the BRC. Someone will pop up with the connections to work up a solution with you.

I know that there are motorcycle training sites that have weekday classes. I don't know specifics because it is site-to-site logistically. Do some hunting and you should be rewarded.:thumb: DFW is in your back yard. It should be easy enough to find.

You might also consider taking the class on a scooter. A training school with scooters available should be easier to find. It's the same license in the end. The scooter should actually be easier to complete the course with.

edit to add: Don't recall if scooters reverse the control levers. If so, then you would only have the rear brake on the right hand control. That may not work out either.

A class with scooters is an excellent idea. Every scooter I've ridden had the rear brake instead of the clutch, but several also had a foot brake for the rear. Front brake is still on the right. You can pass the BRC and never touch the rear brake. :rider:

You'll need to make reservations for your class.

I'm one of the RiderCoaches on the boards, and I'll second the idea of taking the class on a scooter. I'm not sure who you contacted, but I know that MTC (Motorcycle Training Center, who I work for) has weekday classes at some locations and has scooters available to use.

A scooter can be ridden completely one-handed. Just let the RiderCoach know you have a medical issue with your left hand--there are a couple exercises and two parts of the test where you're graded on using both brakes. The RiderCoach should be able to work out with you what they want to see from you to meet that objective.

Ok, I contacted MTC I belive , they are the ones who said I could actually do it. I found the one in burleson as a saturday sunday class, Should I look at maybe arlington?

I work at Bedford, I know they teach weekday classes there.

Call them back and see if you can take a weekday class somewhere if the weekend doesn't work for you.

Back