• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Guess

Touche' SB.
Did a little teardown today. More to go but it's a start.

Exhaust and carb out. Rads will be off in a jif. The head will be off this weekend for sure.

The worst part is that I broke one of the kickstand mounts when I first got the bike. Lol.

I'm going to rewire the ds kit as well.

Look out, by spring I might have a runner.
478c457b8a04004e66c5f7c2b79b9e84.jpg
61bfa69441f4a4ba7205b95f5ad679d3.jpg

Last edited:
It's going to need steering stem bearings as well

Just as long as its ready for Round The Bend, March 22-25. :mrgreen:

Sucked down intake and exhaust valves, bad exhaust valve guides and seals, scored cylinder (I can feel it with my fingernail) with no crosshatching, scored piston.
8a5878705a0fc7527e0471b55f36d180.jpg
c0f2682173f6b682efa9ce0e6f78b628.jpg
682a1bfff2887b98448be952ee07b87d.jpg
cc83afac4f02c69449be14d2aa022b2c.jpg
589c9fa269dd35bca68b965bfbb5e22b.jpg
1a5f4ad51457b0b8621fbf17f6b754ab.jpg
d92907864943dff3c2261016cbbfbd6b.jpg
fbcd15f7cb5fd2a25eee64dc34b6ad54.jpg

I would send the head to Dave Hopkins DJH Cycle.

I did the same to my 450 at 350 hrs. My intake valves were sharp enough to shave with... They were well used. Loved that bike! Bought a wiesco piston kit and sent that off to millennium with the cylinder for a re-plate. Replaced intake valves and guides and had head cleaned (done by local dealer in lubbock). I also replaced the cam shaft because it was grooved where the water pump seals were. I also replaced the water pump seals ( the thumper racing kit comes with the little bullet for the end of the shaft). No play in the bottom end.

I ended up replacing the cam chain and impeller wheel for the water pump. I would add those to the "replace it now list". For the impeller I would go with a billet replacement. There are kits that have a spacer and billet impeller. That is what I would do. I borrowed the cam chain tool from my dealer.

My dealer took care of the head and dealing with Millennium for me. Ran like a champ when I was done.

Also, I would suck up the cost of the Pro-moto billet kick-it kick stand now. Very nice unit and will save you head aches with broken bolts and brackets. After mine broke once I costantly broke the bolt that connects the stand to the bracket. I replaced it with the pro-moto billet one before a dual sport ride in Colorado and it was a wise choice as one of the other guys on a gas gas broke his and ended up always parking it on rocks or leaning it up against something. I just sold my stock stand on another site for 75 bucks. It did have the larger brapp foot and the rest was functional. You can also get a trail tech kickstand for a little less, but not as cool or well functioning in my opinion.

I think the rough cost with all the work done by the dealer and sourcing the piston kit through and other parts through them was roughly 1500 bucks or slightly more. I didn't really keep track of it. Half of that was the piston kit and plating.

Last edited:
She started first try, after I went though the carb and put the stock bowl back on. The k and n power bowl had stripped out threads and a bad diaphragm on the ap. It leaked like a sieve, never even tried to start it. Sort of wish I checked the kill switch, had to run it dry to kill it, at 10pm. Lots of work left to do. Tons of little parts killed my budget.

I didn't do a new piston or refirb the cylinder. I figured that there was enough money to spend on it now and when is time to fit those parts it will only cost me twice a base and head gasket.

Last edited:
Yes, I just did a top end gasket kit that was under 50 bucks IIRC. My piston was pretty done at 350 hrs. Not sure what yours has on it. Glad its up and running!

Oh my.

Wrist pin bearing slap. It's clattering in huge way. Not good. Need to replace the con rod.

At this point I'm invested. I'm splitting the cases. At least I get to buy a few new tools.

Worst case is a new crank, piston and cylinder. Worst worst case is I find something(s) else.

Last edited:
SAB, couldn't kill it with they clutch, no chain or socket at that time.

Don't listen to JMZ. He knows I'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Back