• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which helmet for the newbie?

Hey,
is there any strong evidence the flip front does not protect as much as fullfc., or is that a supposition?
Thanks

Everything I've read is supposition not based on facts or testing. But, it sorta stands to reason the hinges and latch aren't as secure as a solid helmet. Be that as it may, thinking back to all my face plants and various crashes on the track, I can't really say my old Nolan N100 would have failed in any of 'em. It had a heavy chin bar. I nearly carved the chin bar in half on a Bell Star 2 once, but the force wouldn't have stressed the hinges or latches on a flip front the way I fell. It'd take a lot of side impact on the chin, I'd think, something that would be an odd thing to do, and even then I don't know that the helmet would fail.

It's certainly better than the open face alternative for touring types and street riders. Would I race in one? Well, no, but I don't drink cokes or stop at gas stations on my race bike. Apples and oranges. A street helmet is there just in case (good element protection, too). It's worn a lot and hopefully never used. A racing helmet is GOING to be crashed before it wears out from age, most likely, if you're racing to win anyway. :mrgreen: I've crashed a LOT of helmets to death in over 35 years of competing.

For the best info on helmet tests, hearing protection, etc. see
http://www.webbikeworld.com/
and
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/disposable-ear-plugs.htm

Any DOT full face helmet will work, but fit is the key. Find one that fits tight enough so that it will not roll off (forward or back) your head when properly buckled. Grap the chinbar and turn it left and right. It should not move much without your head turning with it. What little movement there is, should be restricted by how far your skin moved on your face and skull.

Once you have the fit you want, wear it in the shop for 15 - 20 mins. Yes, you will feel like a dork. But this is where you will find out about any hot spots. If it passes all these tests. You have a helmet that will protect you.

As for hearing, your best bet is to pick up some foam earplugs. I like the Heros that you can get in most drug stores. They are cheap and washable (put in the pocket of your pants before putting in the washing machine).

Earplugs will not prevent you from hearing the important sounds. They cut the background wind noise so that you can hear better.

Note that the ear plug does not work unless it is rolled up and inserted well into the ear canal. Leave just enough outside the canal to be able to pull it out, but not far enough in to actually touch your ear drum.

Dave,
I didn't see where you're located in your profile, but you can try on Arai's at any Suzuki/Yahama shop, the one in Denton has a big assortment.
You can try on Scorpion and some Arai's at Motoliberty off Royal in Dallas,
and you can try on Shoei's at Cycle Gear. After I narrowed them down, I did the whole wearing it around for 10-15 minutes while I looked at other gear.

Thanks, sb Im in west texas but will be going through the Dallas area this weekend to Pick Up My New Bike!

Kewl...whatcha' gettin'?
I'm buying a new bike (well 2004 w/2,300 miles new) this week also.
I believe those stores all have websites that will give you maps to their stores.

So it's as old as you are. Cool. I have recently developed a fondness for older cars...think it had something to do with the $30,000 price tags of new ones. I just bought a 1994 Volvo 945tw, LOVE it. You could eat off the engine it's so clean. So I definitely understand an afinity for older vehicles.

And how the HECK did I miss the BIG FAT Yellow...
"" I may have found a 1970 Honda CB750 for sale!! ""??? (LOL at myself)

hey, hey - its as young as I am!

You didn't miss anything, I updated my signature line last night after you checked in.

I'm getting a Suzuki SV650s, (another yellow bike), guess that's my color. I wanted one since I started researching riding (and eventually an italian bike, love the Augusta's, but will probably get a used Duc at some point). I wanted the best fit for me and the SV seems to fit the bill, great all around bike. But I"m really glad I started on my Blast to gain confidence and stay upright while I was learning.

My SV is in Florida, 2004 w/2,300 miles, mint condition. Sent a good friend to check it out last night, buying it today, just gotta' get it here (hopefully soon, nothing worse than knowing you've got a new toy and not being able to play with it) :mrgreen: .

This is the helmet for you, notice the full face protection, total areodynamics with color cordinated protective gear. White goes with everything!

ST%20(20).jpg

ROFL!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Hey, if you need someone to fly into FL and ride it back to TX for you, I bet I can think of someone. :mrgreen:

Does it come with removable padding?
And is that gear Joe "ROCKET"....?

Funny you say that, I have someone who does long haul driving and if he can get a load to FLA, he said he'd ride it back, but I want it NOW (stompin' feet, arms crossed, pouty lip...actually I'm quite appreciative, just want to ride her asap.) We must be twisted, because I thought about doing it myself, but would rather spend the time off work doing a ride with others. But I'll keep the offer in mind, thanks!

Back