• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Michelin Pilot Road 2

Mine have done me well tread wear wise and in the dry traction department but they've scared the **** out of me more than once in the rain. I'm afraid of any lean angle in the wet stuff on the back tire at least. Just no grip at all on mine. Maybe I got a defective one but I have to ride like a 80 year old granny to keep the rear from breaking loose on my FJR when it's wet outside.

There are a few Connie guys who swear by them but I've heard at least one guy say that exact same thing about the rain on a Connie as well, with the PR2.

What is funny is the characteristics of most Michelin tires......harder compounds than most.....last longer.....takes awhile to warm up......and slick in the rain.

This is the first I've heard of a PR3. I'll have to do some googling now.

In case this was already discussed....sorry.....but did he (Trey) mention what tire pressures he is usually running?

Higher than most... 39-40 front and 43-45 rear. About 2-3psi higher than the swingarm sticker tells me to.

I've never had problems with mine in the rain, but I'm not one to push my luck in the wet stuff either. They certainly stick better than the Shinko 009 Ravens that I tried... those were uncomfortable in the rain.

trey

I was always happy with my Ravens in the rain when I ran them on my Bandit, SV650, and BMW R1150R.

The new PR3 is looking pretty cool..... can't wait to hear a review on them.

Learned something new...are these going to be triple compound or just improving the two-ply process? I guess they could make the center strip about 15 percent harder for distance riders. Avon Storms Ultra 2 did this but they have had some serious peeling apart issues on the new rubber compounds.

:)

RB

I was always happy with my Ravens in the rain when I ran them on my Bandit, SV650, and BMW R1150R.

To be fair... I took my Ravens off when they were at 50% to mount a set of PR2s for a long trip. The Ravens sat in my garage for around a year before I put them back on. So, they may have been hardened with age/weather more than usual by the time I got done with them.

Even so, they still cost more per mile than the PR2, at least for me...

trey

Well, this thread is way old -- now that I have the WRR the Bandit doesn't see all my commuting miles...

But, I dismounted another set of PR2's that were done today. I think I put them on right about 44,000mi -- I can't believe I didn't write down when I mounted them, but I took them off today at 54,939. So, about 11k miles out of this set, give or take.

I spooned on a pair of PR3's -- I won't try and do a thread like this for them since I'm not racking up the miles like I used to, but I sure hope they don't disappoint... Michelin set the bar pretty high with the 2's.

trey

I have about 8k on mine and they are doing pretty good. Both are starting to flatten out in the center but mainly the front which I think will be done around 10/11k and the rear seems like I'll last a bit longer! :)

Back