• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trials Riding

Well, so much for the dealer price being closer to 9k huh. Good thing I already jumped on that used Beta. OK, I guess you better go ahead and tell me how much I over spent on it.
You did good! IIRC you paid $3,500 or less. Just keep riding it often to keep the carb clean. Your biggest problem will be keeping the bike speed low You love to twist that throttle hard and go fast. Trials bike geometry and handling dont like speed.

_

You did good! IIRC you paid $3,500 or less. Just keep riding it often to keep the carb clean. Your biggest problem will be keeping the bike speed low You love to twist that throttle hard and go fast. Trials bike geometry and handling dont like speed.

_

Believe or not, I've seen them race TORCS, one was doing really well in an A class, but he didn't think about fuel. Didn't make it, refueled in forbidden area and was dq'd. But he actually looked good at speed.

You are very correct Silver Bullet. Riding that bike at speeds is a whole lot of different! But like Rob says, I have also winessed a trials bike sailing along through the forest trails at a very admirable clip. Quite a bit of geometry difference between MX & Trials bikes for sure. Gonna take some time before doing much on it is any where close to my ability. Looking forward to my next visit to the Austin area. I need some good basics instruction from the Emma Long regulars, and a chance to follow, observe, and learn technics from other capable riders.

It looks like I will go pick up the Montesa this Saturday, then I will spend the night in Johnson City and do a little experimenting out there. Also have to lay some electrical conduit for the new barn, but I still want to get an hour or so on the RT4 !!!

Really excited about being dorky on a trials bike.

Congrats Mike, now you really need to come visit the buffalo ranch. If ever tbere was a place for a trials bike to play. We could hop boulder tops for the next 20 years and never touch the same rock twice. (That is IF we actually knew how to hop boulders)

Congrats Mike, now you really need to come visit the buffalo ranch. If ever tbere was a place for a trials bike to play. We could hop boulder tops for the next 20 years and never touch the same rock twice. (That is IF we actually knew how to hop boulders)

lol, but I bet your property is perfect!

Donny, where is the Buffalo ranch located ?

So long as the rocks aren't too tall I am all in!

Oh I was thinking there may be a different secret ranch. Can't wait to get back up there had a blast discovering the unique country in AR. Going to have change my trailer a bit to hold three bikes before the next trip. I think the trials bike will slip in facing to the rear between the AT and the Husky... can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh I was thinking there may be a different secret ranch. Can't wait to get back up there had a blast discovering the unique country in AR. Going to have change my trailer a bit to hold three bikes before the next trip. I think the trials bike will slip in facing to the rear between the AT and the Husky... can't wait!

What a setup!

Cleared some trees and brush to open a new rock garden to practice on.

20170617_191816_zpsbliz8urx.jpg

From the other side.

20170617_191851_001_zpswwylzfia.jpg

The trail on.

20170617_191945_001_zpshglgvxza.jpg

Looks like fun, wish you were closer. I am heading to our property tomorrow early, before the heat really kicks in. Taking some chain saws, hoping to clear some sections myself, then get some time on the 4RT before I get too tired

?? I doubt that. MSRP is only $7,999 on that bike. Southern Honda in Chattanooga usually discounts quite a bit. Similar to Honda of Russelville in AR. I think $7,200 is on the high side for that used bike.

_

That was a good deal. The Honda trials bikes really hold their value. You won't find many dealers willing to discount a lot on a new trials bike like they will dirt bikes. They get so few of them and the demand is high.

I picked up my 2006 with less than 10 hours way cheaper than that :)

I'm looking for a cheap trials bike and have found one close by to take a look at, a 1995 gasgas jt35. I'm assuming that means it's a 350? Anybody have any thoughts on that bike and year model?. Also, it's a 2 stroke, the only thing I have ever ridden is 4 strokes, not sure if that matters though.

I'm looking for a cheap trials bike and have found one close by to take a look at, a 1995 gasgas jt35. I'm assuming that means it's a 350? Anybody have any thoughts on that bike and year model?. Also, it's a 2 stroke, the only thing I have ever ridden is 4 strokes, not sure if that matters though.

Parts availablility may be an issue with the older bikes. Jim Snell at http://www.trialspartsusa.com/repair-services.html will be your best source. But some things for that bike will no longer be available. Plastic and electronics are two I know off of the top of my head you may have trouble finding.

I think I saw the bike you are looking on the North Texas Trials FaceBook page. It is a 350 yes. Other than using quality fuel and quality oil, the two stroke won't be an issue. 2T trials bikes don't run like 2T enduro/mx bikes. They are much smoother.

Parts availablility may be an issue with the older bikes. Jim Snell at http://www.trialspartsusa.com/repair-services.html will be your best source. But some things for that bike will no longer be available. Plastic and electronics are two I know off of the top of my head you may have trouble finding.

I think I saw the bike you are looking on the North Texas Trials FaceBook page. It is a 350 yes. Other than using quality fuel and quality oil, the two stroke won't be an issue. 2T trials bikes don't run like 2T enduro/mx bikes. They are much smoother.

Thanks, the more I think about it, I may just save up a little more cash, say $2500 to $3000 and try to find something 2004 or later. I'll touch base with Mr. Snell, thanks for the heads up on that.

I've got a 2003 Sherco 200 in pretty decent shape I have been considering selling if any of you are still looking. I've had it almost 2 years and it's been a great bike. I'm down in Beaumont if that works for anyone, let me know and I can send deets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 2003 Sherco 200 in pretty decent shape I have been considering selling if any of you are still looking. I've had it almost 2 years and it's been a great bike. I'm down in Beaumont if that works for anyone, let me know and I can send deets

Pm sent

I have put my Sherco up in the FS forum if anyone is interested. Thanks

I hope somebody in austin buys it I need so guys to practice with

Is there a list of Trials clubs in Texas anywhere? I just bought a 2002 gas gas txt 200 and would love to join a local club but have not been able to find anything yet.. have watched a few YouTube videos and bought Dirt Wise 3 DVD to try and learn, have spent all my time learning to balance the bike whilst stationary without the engine running. With the handlebars on full lock, can balance any where from 10 seconds to 2 minutes, but vey inconsistent so need to work on that. Watching the DVD I will start trying to learn to wheelie using his methods, my CRF450X wheelies really well just by opening the throttle, but they say I should be using the clutch to lift the front wheel and this gas gas will lift the front wheel on the throttle alone, it is not as controlled as the video shows using the clutch!! Will try to unlearn my 30 year wheelie skills and learn this new technique. Really hoping this will greatly enhance my Dirt riding ability..

Gary

Last edited:
I have only ridden mine for. a couple months now. Even though I have not taken on any proper tutoring online or other wise, ijust playing around in these Ozark hills has already made me a better and more confident rider on all my other dirt bikes. Even noticed it myself a couple days ago. I was up on the pegs slowly threading the big Africa Twin (with large side bags mounted) in between a couple of very tight tree trunks at a pace so serenely slow it would have creeped me right out before I learned some trials bike speed and control of balance. As I mentioned I have only ever had a trials bike for a whole two months. I am excited to see how much more I might progress over the next several years with maybe a little formal instruction here and there as I run across it.

Sorry, returning to topic now...
So, just how much would that gently used Sherco set a fella back??

Back