• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 Iron Butt Rally

Just a small correction. This is a checkpoint and not a bonus location in the sense of other bonus locations. They will be checking in to the hotel.
Thank you for the correction. And yes, this question comes up about every two years and I'm relaying the answer given.

Hmmm, have to work tomorrow, and I work a short distance away....:rider:

Edit:Well, maybe not so close. NW Dallas? I see the location as follows on the IBR forum.

210 East Stacy Road
Allen, TX 75002

Last edited:
13.5 hours until penalties start, and according to the routing on google maps, that's about how far the riders who are farthest out have to go.

One rider appears to have arrived at the check point last night.

From the IBA June 27 Day 2 report:

At least two items are needed by riders at Checkpoint 1:
Ian McPhee needs the loan of a Zumo 590.
Felipe Salman needs a windscreen for a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere.
If anyone has these items, is willing to loan them to an IBR rider, and can get them to the
Checkpoint in Allen, Texas, it would be most appreciated.

13.5 hours until penalties start, and according to the routing on google maps, that's about how far the riders who are farthest out have to go.

One rider appears to have arrived at the check point last night.

I think that may have been the staff van.

The El Paso rider is cutting it close too. Haven't seen it move for hours. May not have their Spot on? Good to see that was up by Grand Island moving again.

Does anyone know if there is a site that will show the time lapsed movement of the Spotwalla page like there was in 2015?

Can someone please correct my (mis?)understanding of how checkpoint timing/scoring works ....

• E.G. - For the Wednesday 6/28 Checkpoint 1, the window is 8PM - 10PM
  • Arrival prior to 8PM yields full "arrival points" :clap:
  • Arrival after 8PM yields (arrival points) minus ("Point-per-minute penalty" = 1% of arrival points rounded up to next higher minute) :doh:
  • Arrival after 10PM yields 'DNF' and the rider is not allowed to continue :-(
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I think the penalty window opens at 8pm scoring starts at 5pm, I think it was just listed wrong

I think the penalty window opens at 8pm scoring starts at 5pm, I think it was just listed wrong

I believe Leon is correct! They get no penalty for arriving early. They start getting penalty point after 8:00 PM for arriving late.

Marty

Ooo Lufkin is better than three hours out and clock of doom starts in 2hr 15min

What about the rider by Norman, OK? They will be getting penalties as well? Too early in the rally to getting penalized already, but who knows?

Yea, there are several riders I don't see making it in in the next two hours.

What about the rider by Norman, OK? They will be getting penalties as well? Too early in the rally to getting penalized already, but who knows?

Google maps was showing lots of traffic in Oklahoma City and our friend had to go through all of it.

If the riders have a spot 2 you have to reset the tracking ever 24 hours . Might be the reason some are no moving .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the riders have a spot 2 you have to reset the tracking ever 24 hours . Might be the reason some are no moving .

I did not know that? My SPOT is the old one Gen 1. I thought about buying a new one, but why? This one still works good for my purposes.

What fun I had this evening. I stayed out of the way and left the riders alone, except FazerPhil. Been following him a long time and chatted many times on the FZ1 forum that I had to go over and introduce myself and shake his hand, then run away so he could go check in.

2017-06-28%2018.32.55_zpsbclxcghu.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.10.26_zpsnl1pu6ze-L.jpg

Got to see the Boges, they look like they are having a good time and were at the checkpoint early. I wonder if they know they are celebrities.

2017-06-28%2018.19.13_zpsl2raqi3g-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.18.47_zpslcb1qzms-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.19.03_zpsekt1lbbm-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.19.27_zpsypggps0r-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.19.50_zpsmw9udgio-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.19.50_zpsmw9udgio-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.45.53_zpsovcqmthf-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.48.07_zpslu0iaiqi-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.49.45_zpsa3yg2oxx-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.54.25_zps0ohe65on-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2018.54.39_zpssrlf2y7o-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2019.02.30_zps2fvktcmw-L.jpg

2017-06-28%2019.02.43_zpsee2rjxci-L.jpg

Maintenance in progress.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Iron-Butt-Rally-Checkpoint/i-zjKVGZ5/0/0950c07b/L/2017-06-28%2018.45.01_zpsyeupyfr5-L.jpg/IMG]

I arrived at 5 and it was about one rider coming in every ten minutes or so. By 7 they were having to line up to check in.

[ATTACH=full]223151[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]223152[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]223153[/ATTACH]

Yes, I took a lot of pictures of FJR's for the other forum. :D

As I was leaving just after 7 the Japanese rider on the Bergman pulled in. Glad he made it because according to the reports the was pretty far away earlier today and looked doubtful to make it. He must have pushed that Bergman for all it's worth to get there at that time.

Last edited:
I think that's what's happened to the one in Lufkin and the Australian, it shows movement but the tags are not moving.

... As I was leaving just after 7 the Japanese rider on the Bergman pulled in. Glad he made it because according to the reports the was pretty far away earlier today and looked doubtful to make it. He must have pushed that Bergman for all it's worth to get there at that time.

I hope he scores well. Warchild (or was it Ignacio) on the FJR forum noted the Japanese rider hardly spoke English. There was some concern he might not be able to read the bonus list instructions.

Last edited:
I swung by this morning about 11:30 and there were several GSA's, a Concours 14 with fuel and water cells, a chopped Honda flat engine cruiser CT and that was about it. Didn't see anyone I recognized so I moved on to lunch at Rudy's nearby. I checked the checkpoint again tonight and most of the bikes are tucked in and covered with the exception of a silver ST1300 being wrenched on in the drive behind an SUV, a blue? Harley up on a stand and a 1200 RT with a stuck caliper? up on a lift. Both lit by an SUV headlights. This was from Steve Bracken who I spoke with for a few minutes after he walked over and before he checked on the wrenching status's before he walked inside. I asked Steve how he was doing and told him he looked pretty good. I didn't know the other riders so I stayed back out of the way and watched for a few minutes before heading home. I forgot my phone but probably wouldn't have gotten any good shots in the dark and car headlights. I doubt people wrenching at 10:30PM wanted their pics taken anyway.

Back