• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

North Texas Ride - TX to OK Mar 25 - Ride Report

Reaction score
Texas to Oklahoma Ride – March 25, 2017 – Ride Report
250 Mile Adventure (ADV) Ride

Well, this trip was in the planning for about 2 months. I waited for the right weather to come along to enjoy this long, very ambitious ride. Ambitious being the key word, “very” being the word used to describe my sore butt.
The gathering started just before 8am on Saturday morning at the Tiger Mart in Prosper TX, just off Hwy 289. The adventure consisted of 10 riders, Chris Doherty(myself), Steve Sheridan, Mark Rickards, Kevin Shafer, Keith Haynes, Dan “I bought a vowel” Rubey, Malcolm McKenzie, and Gary and Sylvie Waugh. The bike make up was interesting, a KTM 1190, 800 Tiger XC, KLR and the rest were 250’s and one 200… This was a factor I did not take into consideration during planning… I only thought about mid to large adventure, and not lightweight endures. I will mark this as a lesson learned.. I say that because we are speed limited to 60-65 MPH and range limited. I can only account the lightweight bike riders as being “hardcore iron-***” riders… God Bless’em.
We laid out some ride rules and promptly left at 8am…(which never happens) and headed west… 4 miles into the ride, Sylvie appears beside me and starts telling me something in what sounds like a French accent... I could not understand her, but could only surmise that something was wrong. I turned around and headed back only to find that one of the riders had lost a bolt on his front brake caliper. The magician Gary whips out a spare bolt and installs it from his “wonder pack”. FANTASTIC… so we press forward.
So the day started off cool with overcast sky. I saw the weather report and it called for clear and sunny. I was wondering if the weather was changing, because off in the distance there appeared to be some rain and dark clouds. After about an hour of riding we came across a nice wide bridge across a large creek, so we stopped for some photo opportunities, a drink, and leg stretching. So far the day was great. The dirt roads were just as planned.
As we headed up the road, I saw a sign that said “HOG TOWN RD”, and being an Arkansas Razorback fan, I stopped just to get a picture. Well that was a good thing, because as I was walking back to my bike I noticed that Gary’s tire was low. I had heard them talking before the ride, and they were talking about how low they ran their tires for off road riding. But this was really low…and I pointed it out. Sure enough…It was flat. Now the magic begins!
Gary had run over a 3 inch nail… So we got off the road and assessed the situation. Gary had a spare tube so no big deal. By the time I walked to my bike, pulled out a pop tart and diet coke and walked back, Gary had already pulled the back tire off the bike and was starting to pop the bead. We were all impressed, we are now all students and watching him as though he was a one man pit crew at a NASCAR event. The amount of tools he had squirreled away in his bag was amazing. Lesson learned - always invite Gary and Sylvie on rides.
With the tire squared away, we headed north. Now the dirt roads were plentiful and a couple of really nice ones. I can’t take credit for the idea of this ride, I found a link to RKRUZ’s route, copied the GPX file and modified it. Basically the same but I changed some of the routing. What I found is that the dirt roads in Texas were almost as planned, with only a couple that had been paved since Google Earth had photographed them. But when we crossed into Oklahoma, the gravel was not as plentiful as planned. Some of the longest dirt roads that I had selected were not dirt at all. BUMMER!
One of the main reasons I took this route was that RKRUZ posted some pictures of LARGE catfish heads on fence posts. I wanted to see if they were still there… Now he took the photos in July of 2016. It’s been 8 months since he took those. What we found was that they were still there…a little browner but weirdly enough they were still there…WOW. A noteworthy site.
We ended up in Marietta Oklahoma for lunch and some rest. Half way thru the trip the sun was finally coming out. Mexican food was the flavor over the abundance of fast food that was around. Sitting down and getting to know the riders was a good thing. I found out that Gary and Sylvie were, in my opinion, true hardcore riders. They have done the continental divide trip and are half way thru the US East-West trail. They will pick up at Oklahoma this summer and take three weeks to ride to Washington State…WOW. Wish I could take that much time off.
As we came back east, did I say that the dirt was not plentiful? Well that to me was a disappointment, however, it was another blessing in disguise. We needed to hit Hwy 75 by 2:30 and we did. At that point Gary and Sylvie departed to rush home for a family event. We continued east under an old 1922 concrete bridge and thru a 1903 concrete tunnel just outside Colbert OK.
The last highlight of the trip was crossing the Red River on a large one car bridge at Hendrix Oklahoma. Now we stopped at the Oklahoma side of the bridge and I was expecting an ATV area were we could do just a little dirt riding, however what we found is that the ATV area was gone and it its place was a new concrete bridge being constructed. So if you want to see what I consider an historical bridge, you had better get there before the year is up. I think with the new bridge going in they will take down the old one.
Although we are having fun on the ride, it is getting long in the tooth and I can tell that we need to end it. We made it to Denison and I decide to get to Hwy 289 and book it south before someone’s legs become blood starved and fall off. Its 5pm and we still have about 38 miles to go.
The ride ended well. We were butt sore, sweaty and tired but it would appear that everyone enjoyed the day. Even me. I learned some lessons on how to be a good ride master.
Final lesson. 250 miles in a day is just too long unless you are totally on pavement. Mix in dirt and you can take that down to about 170. Having said that, I will have to go and modify the rest of my planned rides to cut them down to 170 or less.
I would like to thank all of those who went on this adventure ride. Thank you enduring my ambitious nature. I hope to ride with you all again because I really enjoyed it. I do plan on having a ride every month. Please come and join me, I could always use the company and help in fixing my flat when it happens.

Last edited:
Pictures from the trip

Attachments

• DSCN0712.JPG
    DSCN0712.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN0713.JPG
    DSCN0713.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN0717.JPG
    DSCN0717.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN0718.JPG
    DSCN0718.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCN0719.JPG
    DSCN0719.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 223
more photos

Attachments

• DSCN0724.JPG
    DSCN0724.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN0723.JPG
    DSCN0723.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN0722.JPG
    DSCN0722.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN0721.JPG
    DSCN0721.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCN0720.JPG
    DSCN0720.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 215
additional photos of the flat

Attachments

• DSCN0725.JPG
    DSCN0725.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCN0726.JPG
    DSCN0726.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCN0727.JPG
    DSCN0727.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN0728.JPG
    DSCN0728.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN0729.JPG
    DSCN0729.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 235
photos from the wildlife area in North Texas

Attachments

• DSCN0737.JPG
    DSCN0737.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN0736.JPG
    DSCN0736.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN0735.JPG
    DSCN0735.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN0734.JPG
    DSCN0734.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCN0733.JPG
    DSCN0733.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 221
just before we cross into Oklahoma

Attachments

• DSCN0750.JPG
    DSCN0750.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN0753.JPG
    DSCN0753.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 207
The catfish heads in July 2016 and the same in March of 2017

Attachments

• DSCN0762.JPG
    DSCN0762.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN0761.JPG
    DSCN0761.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 20160731_105932.jpg
    20160731_105932.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160731_105906.jpg
    20160731_105906.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 214
Pictures taken in OK

Attachments

• DSCN0772.JPG
    DSCN0772.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN0771.JPG
    DSCN0771.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN0770.JPG
    DSCN0770.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN0768.JPG
    DSCN0768.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN0765.JPG
    DSCN0765.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 216
pictures of the tunnel and bridge

Attachments

• DSCN0773.JPG
    DSCN0773.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN0774.JPG
    DSCN0774.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN0775.JPG
    DSCN0775.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN0777.JPG
    DSCN0777.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN0779.JPG
    DSCN0779.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 208
By the way...for all of those who went on this ride. Please post your feedback here...Remember we can only make it better!

Hey dohertycm, sure wish we could have all met up somewhere along the way. I had no idea your ride was happening. We ride a 250 mile loop from Eisenhower State Park (Denison, Tx) and back. Went across Carpenters Bluff Bridge as well then out to Washita Fort Historic Site then through Lake Murray back down through Hagerman National Refuge back to Denison... really incredible trip.. Plan to post a trip report over the next couple of days.. Keep me in mind if your group plans another ride in the future...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had 4 riders.. all in this forum..

Hey could you send me the GPS file of that ride so I could put it into the catalog of rides for North Texas...?

Planning on having a ride once a month for the group...hope you join us on the next one. Let me know when your trip report is up...I will enjoy reading it

I sure can.... I created the route and utilized about 60 miles of the OAT and it turned out better than I would have ever thought... The road mixture was great and so many twisty fun roads... paved and dirt... stopped at the Washita site and Tucker Tower at Lake Murray... really great ride especially for the area we live...

:tab Big nails and big catfish heads! :eek2:

:tab The guy that lost the bolt on the brakes is lucky. We had that happen on a ride and the rider went over the handle bars at about 40 mph on a gravel road in the middle of no where in Arkansas! Good gear saved him, but that was scary!

:tab I have found that telling folks up front they need to be on a bike that can run 70-75mph and go about 150 miles helps if that is the kind of riding I am expecting. As you found out, it only takes one bike to slow down the entire group. The same problem can also occur if the ride is more suited to smaller bikes and folks try to show up on big adventure bikes. It really can be hard to do a single ride that works for the full range of bikes.

:tab For rides that I would call "dual sport", meaning a mix of paved and dirt roads (no trails), I generally try to keep the routes at 200 miles/day on average, and maybe 250 max if there is no way to avoid it. There are some places though, like Southern Utah, where you just have to cover some ground to get from one place to another. My rule of thumb for planning such rides is to allow a total average of 25 mph (including all stops) for the day. So a 200 mile route should ideally take about 8 hours. I like to start the rides at 8:30-9:00am and end them around 5:00pm, sometimes 6:00pm. This has worked pretty well over the years for rides where I may not be familiar with all those in attendance.

:tab For rides that will be mostly street, I usually shoot for 300-350 miles/day. I generally plan for an average of 50 mph. So a 300 mile route should ideally take around 6-7 hours depending on how often we stop for pictures or to check out points of interest. If the roads are going to be REALLY twisty, like say Western North Carolina, I will drop back down around 250-275 miles/day for pavement. Unless folks are used to that kind of riding, their ability to maintain their concentration starts to fade very noticeably around the 200-250 mile mark and I'll start seeing mistakes.

:tab Of course, all that is subject to change depending on the exact route I might plan if I know what the conditions will be like. I have done a "dual sport" ride that lasted about 30 miles and which took most of the day because of the terrain, the size of the group, and numerous bikes being flooded on water crossings. I've also done some that were 300+ miles in a day, but the roads were open and fast most of the time. But if you don't know for sure what to expect, I have found the 25 mph and 50 mph rule of thumb to work pretty well.

:tab The KEY factor is to stay flexible. If things are not working out as you have planned, be open to making changes on the fly to accommodate the circumstances. On numerous occasions I have had to modify a route midway through the day because of unforeseen circumstances. Don't be a slave to the plan. Some folks, even those that didn't make the plan, have a real problem with that sometimes. The folks I enjoy riding with the most are those that are just happy to be out riding and are fine when things don't always go exactly as planned. Don't forget that sometimes, going off plan can lead to great surprises and unexpected adventures that you will never forget.

I would love to say a massive thanks to Chris for putting this on (he did a fantastic job at keeping us all together, despite the very big difference in bike speeds and rider capabilities), he made it so much fun.. I also wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for their patience, When Chris pointed out my puncture, I expected everyone to just take off and I would catch them up, but everyone waited patiently and not a single word of complaint!! It made for a really great day out, Chris failed to mention that after Keith's front brake caliper came loose, he forgot to strap his tool kit back on the bike, so we didn't get 200 yards before I stopped to pick a toolkit out of the road!! It was a great mixture of roads and the 250 miles would not have been an issue for Sylvie and I except our youngest daughter had a piano recital that evening so we had to get home by 5:00pm. Will definitely allow more time for the next ride (assuming Chris will have us back!! ;-) ). Met some really great guys and had a fantastic day out, I was surprised by the number of 250 enduro's, but it made it a lot of fun, just a bit slow for those on the larger bikes!! We really look forward to seeing everyone on the next ride (if Chris still allows 250 enduro bikes) and making more new friends.

Hats of to Chris for all the effort he put into planning this, and even more so for the superb job that he did leading us and setting a great pace that kept the group all together. I now need to buy a new spare innertube as the 3" nail completely trashed the old one (way beyond a repair patch!!).

Gary

Hey dohertycm, sure wish we could have all met up somewhere along the way. I had no idea your ride was happening. We ride a 250 mile loop from Eisenhower State Park (Denison, Tx) and back. Went across Carpenters Bluff Bridge as well then out to Washita Fort Historic Site then through Lake Murray back down through Hagerman National Refuge back to Denison... really incredible trip.. Plan to post a trip report over the next couple of days.. Keep me in mind if your group plans another ride in the future...

The rides are posted on www.txadvriders.org under DFW events...and on the event calendar. They are also listed on this site under TARA DFW North Happenings. Drop me a note at tara.dfwnorth@yahoo.com if you would like to be on the local email list.

Thanks tperk314! Valuable info... Just sent email to be added to local email list...

It was a great ride! Thanks for organizing and having us along. I'm looking forward to the next ride!

Back