• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star BMW sold?

There was a Honda dealer in Killeen in the early sixties. I live Belton and shopped at Jay Henry's place between Belton and temple but wound up buying a little Honda (all I could afford) in Killeen because I wanted a 4 stroke. My best friend bought a Yamaha from Henry at the same year (1963). His Yamaha was faster but the 2 stroke ate spark plugs on a regular basis.That little Honda is probably still running.

This sucks. Hate to see a good small business go away. Time marches on I guess. I have been told that one or more of the BMW master mechanics have already moved on which doesn't give me much confidence for the future. It's few and far between these days where a business owner actually does what he promises and takes care of the little things. Robert and Peter were one of a few still left that built a business on hard work, honesty, trust and customer service.

About from their FB page....

Lone Star BMW/Triumph had its beginnings in 1980. It was formed by Joanne and Larry Averitt and was named Lone Star Cycle Motive. It was soon joined with Tour and Sport, an accessories store. In 1987 they came together in a new building at 4108 N. Lamar in Austin, Texas. When the Averitts retired in 1994, Peter Yeager and Robert Krull bought the business. The name was changed to Lone Star BMW. In 1995 Triumph motorcycles were added to the lineup and also the name. In November of 1999 we moved to our new, larger home in north central Austin, a totally renovated building at 10600 N. Lamar. Unlike our old location, our new building can accommodate all of our departments on one ground level floor, including a very comfortable customer lounge area with a big screen television and free wireless internet. Outside, there is now plenty of customer parking for two-wheelers and four-wheelers.

Rhonda and I went in today and got a couple t-shirts. Robert and CC were there and we had a very nice visit. It is hard to believe it will soon be gone. it was exciting to hear them talk about their retirement plans. They have earned it.

I went in Woods this morning out of curiosity. After wandering about for 30 minutes, sitting on various bikes and trying on four different jackets, I left without ever finding anyone interested enough in me to even acknowledge my presence. No hint that they will soon have BMW's and Triumphs on the floor.

Contrast this to Saturday where Rhonda and I drank coffee, ate a slice of CC's homemade cake and chatted with Robert and CC for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
I went in Woods this morning out of curiosity. After wandering about for 30 minutes, sitting on various bikes and trying on four different jackets, I left without ever finding anyone interested enough in me to even acknowledge my presence. No hint that they will soon have BMW's and Triumphs on the floor.

Contrast this to Saturday where Rhonda and I drank coffee, ate a slice of CC's homemade cake and chatted with Robert and CC for 30 minutes.

Man that is bad news. Is anyone thinking of switching brands if this move does not work out? Just thinking out loud.

I'm already sizing up KTM if this flops. I see TJ's is moving to a new building next month.

You're right, for now the new identity that respects the existing customers sentiments and annual traditions while creating a new vision for re-branding is tough. It is still too early to determine that. LSBMW and Wood's are very different with regards to the customer experience.

Time will tell....

RB

hill_3.jpg

Taken from seven steps to merger excellence:

Historically, little time is spent at the pre-merger stage to define the right strategy for integrating the existing cultures. Will a policy of separation, assimilation, blending or the creation of a new culture be incorporated? In most situations, employees resist assimilation and the “acquiring” organization finds itself imposing its values and practices. Another strategy that may be adopted is to “take the best of both cultures and create a new one,” without sorting out what is really aligned with the company objectives.

Yeah, where is TJ's going?<br/>

Pretty much 183 and 290. Its actually on Ridgepoint Dr. Should be there the beginning of September.

Another strategy that may be adopted is to “take the best of both cultures and create a new one,” without sorting out what is really aligned with the company objectives.[/I]

I recognize there will be change. The real question will be how much change the LSBMW customer base will tolerate. If I have to tolerate big four dealership experiences, why pay for BMW level products and service?

If I have to tolerate big four dealership experiences, why pay for BMW level products and service?

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner! You have as shrunk the whole thing down to a simple question.

I recognize there will be change. The real question will be how much change the LSBMW customer base will tolerate. If I have to tolerate big four dealership experiences, why pay for BMW level products and service?

While Robert hooked me on Beemers, and that experience made me like the mark, I drive to Austin to do business with Lone Star. I'll likely stay with BMW for the categories of bikes they produce. I'll likely go Orange otherwise.

How much change will this customer take? I used to joke that I drove past other BMW dealerships to get to Long Star and that was true. I'm in Houston every week these days and there are at least two dealerships that are an easy stop. If I don't see the same friendly faces, get the same attentive personal service or can't do business via a phone call or an email, I have to justify the drive.

As much a we may be concerned with the inevitable upcoming changes, all the speculation posted here about abandoning the brand, not going to try the new dealership certainly will certainly create more anxiety for the employees than anything else.

Hopefully they are aware of the great interest across the interwebs in how they manage the shift. I still miss the the local hardware store, yet Home Depot seems to do quite well despite my objections. Who knows, they might become the best BMW dealer in the country based on a big box model.

As much a we may be concerned with the inevitable upcoming changes, all the speculation posted here about abandoning the brand, not going to try the new dealership certainly will certainly create more anxiety for the employees than anything else.

This may be true, but on the other hand - if somebody in the new place were to put together the feedback in this thread and other places into a list of considerations and possible suggestions to implement, they might just surpass expectations/hopes of their current "legacy" customers.

It remains an unknown on what decisions they will make and how they will do business in the future, but this is as close to having a "focus group" to gather input and expectations of your customers as you can get without actually having one. It's free and unsolicited feedback about a business that hasn't even really started yet. VOC.

Surely, a business cannot please everybody all the time by catering to every whim of every customer, but there are only several general and overarching themes about the expectations of customers being made by multiple members here that might be taken into account.

I hope they do well and will keep an open mind - My maintenance techniques usually involve a hammer and a bigger hammer... which i don't think the beemer will respond well to. :lol2:

If they don't - i'll be finding a lot of fun roads to ride between here and Dallas/Houston/San Antonio when i need something.

Rode down Burnet Road today to Ken's. The Zabor building is being remodeled, but all the Zabor signs are still up. That building in the 60's was Harkins Grocery, he later moved to Cedar Creek area. God bless Paul.

Well, if the BMW motorcycle rider experience is exceptional as many claim, some people may tolerate the "big dealership" environment. The customer attrition may not be that bad. The GS series like the 1200, RT, 1600 offer handling/suspension, luxury image, comfort and accessories that many other Japanese brands cannot touch or that is the perception.

RB

Well, if the BMW motorcycle rider experience is exceptional as many claim, some people may tolerate the "big dealership" environment. The customer attrition may not be that bad. The GS series like the 1200, RT, 1600 offer handling/suspension, luxury image, comfort and accessories that many other Japanese brands cannot touch or that is the perception.

RB

I would like to continue to enjoy the luxury the BMW brand brings to the mix. It would be hard to go back to the amenities offered by the other brands although some of them are making it tough to say that anymore. At $25,000 for a GSA with all the bells and whistles (including GPS and 3-piece luggage), I expect a lot and LSBMW has never let me down. The big four have all at various times haggled over warranty issues or seemed indifferent to my issues. I hear of the same type stories at other BMW dealerships, most of whom are multiple brand dealers and figure if I have to put up with crappy customer service, I can get 95% of the satisfaction of the BMW brand for significantly less money.

Last edited:
Back