• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

Handy I guess on the street but looks like a sure fire way to a broken sub frame for any off-road to speak of. What rack are you using Hail?

Handy I guess on the street but looks like a sure fire way to a broken sub frame for any off-road to speak of. What rack are you using Hail?

Tonn's Aluminum rack
http://www.tonnsfabrication.com/drz.html

Also have their skid plate which is the toughest on the market for the DRZ if anyone is looking for good one. ;)

If I were packing more on there than the 2 gallon can I might be a little worried. In all my searching on the internet I have only seen a hand full of reports of broken sub-frames most of those were from get-off's not gear. I personally know people packing 75 pounds on the rear going through MOAB with the stock S sub frame. Seems to be a bit of a DRZ urban myth.

Last edited:
Ok it looked larger than 2 gallons in the pic and I have the nomadic rack on my E with substantially less sub frame. Let us know how it performs.

Anyone using the offroad model with a kit for DS? A friend has a basically new 01 that he bought without a title? Can get it cheap but wondering if it is worth the effort? Thanks.

Anyone using the offroad model with a kit for DS? A friend has a basically new 01 that he bought without a title? Can get it cheap but wondering if it is worth the effort? Thanks.

YoYo Geo ,

If your friends ends up getting the bike , I have most if not all of the Baja kit , headlight , blinkers , swithches , etc etc .

Early last year I converted an E I bought new in 2000. No title, no bill of sale, lost the MSO.

It wasn't all that tough. You get an insurance bond (ask your insurance agent, might cost $100 or $150, if they quote more then shop around), and an inspection receipt (called the "green sheet" but isn't green), then go to a regional office rather than to the court house for quick processing. Some county clerks don't know the procedure is legit and balk. To the folks at the regional office this is routine. If the regional office isn't convenient, call someone there and go over everything, then go to the court house with their number on speed dial.

There's a thread somewhere here on TWT that goes into the details. I found everything I needed to know on the TXDMV website.

Here a slew of Google results

Cheap kits are available via tusk and other brands and are exactly that, cheap solutions. You can even probably do it cheaper and better quality by buying the components and building your own wiring harness if you know what you are doing. The Baja kit is plug and play and infinitely better quality than the cheap kits. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you intend to use it for. I converted my E and spent around $500 using high end parts and building my own wiring. I have not had any failures and have logged many miles on and off road. The stock E headlight can be converted to a dual beam by some simple wiring changes and a switch. It's not DOT nor very bright but it is a lot cheaper than an alternative new headlight assembly. The bar switch and signals were my biggest expense.

I'm in B/CS with an 09 DRZ 400S that's currently in SM dress. I've been utilizing it as a "play around town" bike and also now my touring machine.....That is since I can only afford the one bike. I've been in the area since Feb and have been exploring the area (150 mile radius) looking for the best winding/scenic/hill laden roads available. I have tried the trails in the Sam Houston but I'm really a Dual Sport dirt road/non-looping trail kind of guy. Back east the terrain/back woods dirt road availability is much different .... thus the need to try the street/SM side of things.
So ... I happen to be pretty darn good at mapping out rides and piecing together nice stops and scenery and I plan to go farther than I've been before ... out southeast of B/CS as far as Bastrop .... BUT NOT on the main roads unless absolutely necessary. QUESTION - Anyone available this Sat (Aug 23) especially or any future Sat to leave out early from B/CS (or I'll meet you along the route) for a run? Stopping to talk/eat/relieve/gas/rest ... of course. This particular one is 275 miles ... 98% pavement.
In the past I have been able to get the locals lost when taking them the "back" way ... I've attached a version of the map.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 189
I'm in B/CS with an 09 DRZ 400S that's currently in SM dress. I've been utilizing it as a "play around town" bike and also now my touring machine.....That is since I can only afford the one bike. I've been in the area since Feb and have been exploring the area (150 mile radius) looking for the best winding/scenic/hill laden roads available. I have tried the trails in the Sam Houston but I'm really a Dual Sport dirt road/non-looping trail kind of guy. Back east the terrain/back woods dirt road availability is much different .... thus the need to try the street/SM side of things.
So ... I happen to be pretty darn good at mapping out rides and piecing together nice stops and scenery and I plan to go farther than I've been before ... out southeast of B/CS as far as Bastrop .... BUT NOT on the main roads unless absolutely necessary. QUESTION - Anyone available this Sat (Aug 23) especially or any future Sat to leave out early from B/CS (or I'll meet you along the route) for a 275 mile run? Stopping to talk/eat/relieve/gas/rest ... of course. Oh yeah ... 98% pavement.
In the past I have been able to get the locals lost when taking them the "back" way ... I've attached a version of the map.

Mind sharing your GPX file? There is actually a forums section where you can post those. :)

After I scout this route and eliminate any unforseen hiccups I will post the loop. Come ride with me to figure these out.

Anyone available this Sat (Aug 23) especially or any future Sat to leave out early from B/CS (or I'll meet you along the route) for a run? Stopping to talk/eat/relieve/gas/rest ... of course. This particular one is 275 miles ... 98% pavement.

I'm in Coupland, near Taylor and Elgin in the NW section of your loop. I'll be home Saturday (as far as I know, unless my wife recruits me to help her with her classroom - school starts Monday). That's an awfully long route on a dual sport. It took me several minutes to figure out what "B/CS" meant. Looking at the map it dawned on me. Heh, I went to public school. Anyway drop me a PM. I'm working until 1am so sleep in until 8 or 9 on Saturday morning. I wouldn't mind meeting you somewhere on the route.

Morgstang does some nice routes starting from his home in Brenham on the weekends. I've only done one ride but we hit lake Sommerville, out to Independence, etc. I'd already been to some of those places but he showed me some others I hadn't. He rides and FZ1.

Good to meet ya today, John. It was a good ride and except for a few fine drivers that don't know how to make left hand turns we fared pretty well.

It's all a part of the back road experience. I appreciate the company sir. You tried to jinx me with your deer story....A doe tried to make friends north of Brenham. Stupid thing couldn't gain traction while dashing across in front of me. She needs some new treads like me.
And in an effort to stay true to this thread - are there any other DRZ400SM's out there?

Two friends and I just got back from Colorado. We all rode 400SMs. All live in Bryan.

Let's all get together for an afternoon meet-up soon. My rear tire's showing threads so I've got to get it to the shop....My SM friend back east says Pilot Powers are the best.

JWCIV and I met in Taylor then headed through Elgin to Bastrop. At that point I headed home. Only 88.6 miles for me. Thanks for the pic, John.

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 204
Pilot Power CT's ordered. Staying local this weekend. Bryan crew interested in meeting up?

Finally got my replacement Clarke Tank in. First one had some flaws that prevented my shrouds from mounting properly.

Back