• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battery maintanence

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide to get a dirt bike with e-start or kick. I prefer kick, because I don't want to mess with a battery. But I' can't seem to find a decent XR200. So I'm considering its younger brother the CRF230. But the CRF uses a battery. So, how long does the battery stay charged? Is it a pain in the butt to remember to charge before heading out?

I plan to ride once every 2 months, maybe every 3 or 4 during the cold season. So I don't want to show up at the trail head with a dead battery.

Put it on a battery tender when you get in from the ride and leave it on it till the next ride. If you let it sit for extended time between rides without the tender and then try to charge just before the ride you will find yourself replacing batteries pretty often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My WR got a new battery a few years ago, never sees a tender and gets taken out once every few months. I know, I know, I should be out riding the thing more.... At any rate, the battery is still going strong even after periods of 6 months between use. But you do get what you pay for as the battery in it was close to $150 about about the size of a medium point and shoot camera.

All that being said there was a really nice, later model XR200 up here in the Dallas Craigslist for $1000obo just a few days ago. From all my looking, that is about as low as they go for the newer red models. If Rachel didn't already have hers, I would have pointed her towards that one for sure.

Back