• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GixxerJasen's Courthouses

gixxerjasen

Wow
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
So, I got a start a bit back...hit two local ones to see how this goes.

Kaufman
Kaufman-L.jpg

Rockwall
Rockwall-L.jpg

Then last week I grabbed these:

Wilbarger
Wilbarger-L.jpg

Hardeman
Hardeman-L.jpg

Childress
Childress-L.jpg

Hall
Hall-L.jpg

Donley
Donley-L.jpg

Armstrong
Armstrong-L.jpg

Potter
Potter-L.jpg

Hartley
Hartley-L.jpg

Dallam
Dallam-L.jpg

Last edited:
It's a fun 'project' for sure..... I'd suggest doing an on-line search for a couple things to include:

1. A Texas map (.jpg) showing the counties. From that you can pull it into Photoshop and 'fill in' the ones you've been to for a graphical representation. First, the map shows your progress. Second, the map shows where holes are and allows you to plan specific courthouse shoots

2. A document of Counties listed alphabetically and their respective county seats an the county seats sorted alphabetically listing their county. This makes it easy for planning purposes, or if you're on a pie-run and headed a certain direction you might be able to snag a few along the way with little detour

3. A book on the county courthouses that gives the image of what you're looking for as well as a bit of history. It's down in my side case at the moment along with #2 above and a map I fill in as I go. I'll get the title and author for you.

Have fun with the project! :rider:

I've got a side project going that's better than all of that. Let's just say I'm taking the already posted spreadsheet to the next level. What I did was extremely helpful in getting those I got last week. I'll share it for all once it's done. :D

Let me guess.... You took the GPS coordinates of each one and made routes for an easy ten days of riding to get them all? :rider:

Pretty much...

GPS is going into the spreadsheet, then, with a vbscript to export them to a KMZ formatted file. I can only export all of them now, but once GPS is updated for all courthouses you'll be able to pick and choose which ones to export.

Then I've got a My Maps for google, and just change the color the ones that I've already got. :D

Once i had them in Google, it was easy to see which ones were along the route I was taking and I was able to stop and snag them on the go. :D

Cool!

My biggest problem with this effort is I'm focused on the pie run, M&G or camping event and forget to look at my 'remaining' list/map and plan a route accordingly. One of these days I'll figure out how to break that habit!

Here's to many safe miles in your quest! :chug:

The pics of Hall @ Donley are the same.

Thanks for the catch. Fixed. Although I may have to start this over again. Not finding myself as happy with smugmug as I'd hoped. Not as easy to grab the IMG stuff as photobucket. It sure is prettier but with a lot of pictures for something like this or a trip report, it gets to be a bit of a pain.

Don't want to mess up Donley, it was the prettiest one. :D

Give the image the name of the county and have SM sortt alphabetically? Then from the grid view double click the image , go to the lower right and hit the link button and select your desired size. Easy Peasy

I am trying once again to get them all too. Hard drive failure....don't ask.
It's a great project but I do have a bit of advice. Read the historical markers around them all and if you can get inside for a peak or two, it's well worth it. Take your time and enjoy the trip. And seek out local knowledge for lunch and pie.

Give the image the name of the county and have SM sortt alphabetically? Then from the grid view double click the image , go to the lower right and hit the link button and select your desired size. Easy Peasy

I suppose. But then you have click back to the gallery again. Once you get used to Photobucket and having the copy link right there with the IMG tags ready to go, it's hard to go to a system of more clicking when doing a ride report with 50+ photos.

First world problems, right? :rofl:

I am trying once again to get them all too. Hard drive failure....don't ask.
It's a great project but I do have a bit of advice. Read the historical markers around them all and if you can get inside for a peak or two, it's well worth it. Take your time and enjoy the trip. And seek out local knowledge for lunch and pie.

I took photos of the war memorials while at each of them. Was most interested in the one for James R Fox jr at Dallum that was presented by the People's Republic of China. Very interesting all the way around.

Back