• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

piano bridge

Piano Bridge update

The Piano Bridge at Dubina has been officially closed by TXDOT since late 2010.

There are a few groups hoping to help the county find a way to refurbish it and save the bridge. Google "Dubina Piano Bridge" and you will find some good links.

Only a few weeks ago I was able to get around the signs and ride across it. :rider: Seemingly, for the last time. :-(

MotocycleBelle and I went to visit it last weekend and they have now welded bars across the road at both ends of the bridge to prevent access.

Having earned my MC license at age 15 in Schulenburg, I have crossed that one many times, and other similar bridges in the area which are now long since gone.

It used to be a thrill for me to jump up onto the bridge with my TS100 when all those back roads were gravel, and all my "shortcuts" were the longest distance between two points. :mrgreen:

Give it a good once-over and it would be in service for another hundred and twenty-five years. I do hope the bridge can be saved.

Not so fast...... A good friend and riding buddy is the TXDOT Bridge Engineer for this and he's got the scoop... Let me ping him and get an update.

Re: Piano Bridge

Scott, I am happy to update everyone on the Piano Bridge.

We currently have a team of structural engineers and technicians completing the plans for the restoration of the Piano Bridge in the TxDOT Bridge Division. My Design Group contains some of the State's Historic Bridge experts and we do a majority of the State's historic bridge rehab work.

The Piano Bridge was closed because cracked gusset plates at the L1 joints in the top chord were discovered by Division and District Inspection personnel. The most severe is located on the Schulenburg side where you can see out-of-plane deflection in the top chord. It is suspected that a heavy vehicle approached the bridge from the Schulenburg side at a high rate of speed and launched onto the bridge, landing in the vicinity of the floor beam that is hung from the top chord at this joint. (This is the first hung floor beam as you move from the bearings towards the centerline of the truss.) The cracked plate is up inside the joint, and it is this plate in the four corners of the truss that governs the load rating of the structure.

This structure is a King Iron Truss built in 1885 and will be restored. All four plates will be replaced, the abutments will be replaced because of age and moved forward to provide a better approach span arrangement, the approach spans and end floor beams will be replaced because of corrosion and load rating issues, the dimensional lumber wood deck will be replaced with a glue-laminated deck that will perform better long-term, bent members and bridge rail will be heat-straightened, the approach guard fence will be replaced, and the structure will be cleaned and painted. All work will be done in a way to maintain the historic fabric of the structure.

We are completing the plans at this time and preparing the Letting Documents. The project will be let to contract in July 2011. It will take the Contractor a few months to mobilize, go through shop and erection drawing review, and have the structural steel and decking fabricated. Work on site will probably begin in Fall 2011, with completion approximately December 2012. When complete it will be a restored historical monument open to vehicular traffic with a load rating of HS12, meaning it will not require load posting.

Re: Piano Bridge

Scott, I am happy to update everyone on the Piano Bridge.

We currently have a team of structural engineers and technicians completing the plans for the restoration of the Piano Bridge in the TxDOT Bridge Division. My Design Group contains some of the State's Historic Bridge experts and we do a majority of the State's historic bridge rehab work.

The Piano Bridge was closed because cracked gusset plates at the L1 joints in the top chord were discovered by Division and District Inspection personnel. The most severe is located on the Schulenburg side where you can see out-of-plane deflection in the top chord. It is suspected that a heavy vehicle approached the bridge from the Schulenburg side at a high rate of speed and launched onto the bridge, landing in the vicinity of the floor beam that is hung from the top chord at this joint. (This is the first hung floor beam as you move from the bearings towards the centerline of the truss.) The cracked plate is up inside the joint, and it is this plate in the four corners of the truss that governs the load rating of the structure.

This structure is a King Iron Truss built in 1885 and will be restored. All four plates will be replaced, the abutments will be replaced because of age and moved forward to provide a better approach span arrangement, the approach spans and end floor beams will be replaced because of corrosion and load rating issues, the dimensional lumber wood deck will be replaced with a glue-laminated deck that will perform better long-term, bent members and bridge rail will be heat-straightened, the approach guard fence will be replaced, and the structure will be cleaned and painted. All work will be done in a way to maintain the historic fabric of the structure.

We are completing the plans at this time and preparing the Letting Documents. The project will be let to contract in July 2011. It will take the Contractor a few months to mobilize, go through shop and erection drawing review, and have the structural steel and decking fabricated. Work on site will probably begin in Fall 2011, with completion approximately December 2012. When complete it will be a restored historical monument open to vehicular traffic with a load rating of HS12, meaning it will not require load posting.

:clap::clap:

Watch the special features on the DVD and you'll see it was filmed in and all around Austin, Bastrop, Lockhart, etc.

I own that movie on DVD but don't remember that in it. I"ll have to look again next time.

that looks like the bridge that was in the movie second hand lions.

EASTER EGG: On the special features side of the DVD, go to the deleted scenes section. While at the top of the list, press the "up" button on your remote control and a star will appear and be highlighted. Press the "Okay" button and a clip of outtakes will come on showing all of the filmmakers' attempts at trying to put the rooster on the pig.

Much like the cat that ate the cheese, I am waiting with ba(i)ted breath to see the Piano Bridge restoration completed. :clap:

And, looking forward to launching the KTM onto it in a feeble attempt to test the completed work. :lol2:

Thank you TXDOT for preserving this unique landmark!

:rider:

The piano Bridge is no more. I went to Ammansville to get FM 1965 for the farm roads game and decided to take the short ride to Dubina to see the Church and Piano Bridge. Tnis is what I found.

Picture012-3.jpg

Picture016-1.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

I guess it's being restored? They aren't saving many pieces.

The bridge should be in the field nearby. They will be putting in new footing, replacing rivets and some beams. Then back she goes ready for spring riding!

There is a documentary being made on the reconstruction of the bridge.

thank for more update that picture sure looked like they were going to put a pre-stress concrete span in there or something similar.

http://bridgehunter.com/tx/fayette/piano/

Found an interesting site while looking for photos.

bridge hunter !

Last year I visited the Regency Suspension Bridge between Mill and San Saba Counties. It's the one shown at the beginning of Texas Country Reporter.

http://bridgehunter.com/tx/mills/regency/

The gravel road approaching this span was one of my least favorite rides ever. LOOSE gravel on a highly crowned road.

Received this from my TxDOT Bridge Engineer friend last night. He's El_loco_lobo a few posts up from this one (post #28).

It was removed, completely disassembled, cleaned, repaired, new parts cast or fabricated, painted, and it is now being reassembled, mostly riveted in the original way. The abutments and approach spans were replaced also. I need to be at work to check the date, but it will be completed around June 1, I think.

Lloyd

Riding the Willow Springs bridge this weekend reminded me of the truss bridges in Gonzales county. In the first decades of the last century the county judge bought ten bridges (I think) for the county. I know of two on public right of ways that are still open to traffic. JMZ tells me he knows of a couple of others.

Sadly these bridges are at some risk from progress. The Eagle Ford Shale has created lots of heavy truck traffic in parts of south Texas and I expect some of the old bridges and the narrow dirt roads will fall victim to improvement. So it goes. Better ride them now.

And another update received tonight...

It will be really nice when finished. Nels R-----, one of the foremost historic bridge rehab contractors in the US, is doing the work. We are hoping he will get the contract for the next two bridges on the list, Wildcat Road and Providence Road Bridges up near College Station. We have showed him the sites. There is a film crew documenting the work and I will let all of the groups know if/when there is a dedication ceremony for Piano, which I imagine the county will want to hold for this project.

BREAKING NEWS........

From my TxDOT Bridge Engineer friend Lloyd:

We are having the Piano Bridge ribbon-cutting ceremony on Monday, April 2nd at 9:00am. I'll have a news release out for Fayette County, but want to ensure your buddies get a special invite!

The Contractor, the County Judge and other local officials will speak, they may have a team of Clydesdales, probably a couple of antique cars, etc to cross the bridge as part of the ceremony. Remind folks to bring their kick stand plates, as it may be soft and muddy.

Last edited:
The Piano bridge rehabilitation is almost complete and it will be opened Monday April 2 with a Ribbon Cutting ceremony. There will be a horse and buggy, maybe a team of Clydesdales, antique cars, and speeches by the local county commissioner, county judge, State Representative, the contractor and the TxDOT District Engineer...plus the cutting of a big ribbon with big scissors....all covered by the news media. Everyone is welcome to come and revel in the festivities! The TxDOT Yoakum District Public Information officer wanted me to invite all of my biker buddies that enjoy the area. The analysis and design, plan production, and construction engineering was accomplished within my bridge design group team. This will occur on site at the Piano Bridge near the Dubina Painted Church. Bring your kick stand plates as it may be soft and muddy. Click here for recent a You Tube clip.

From the Schulenburg Sticker newspaper:
Piano Bridge
By Ed Janecka
Fayette County Judge

In the late 1870s, the East Navidad Bohemian Community (later named Dubina) was a thriving place. The new church was just constructed and Joseph Kocurek just finished building his Cotton Gin. Joseph Peter opened a saloon, hotel, a gristmill, a blacksmith shop and a well-stocked general store. There were new immigrants arriving weekly.

Joseph Peter, being a good businessman, was looking for ways to expand his business. The people living west side of the East Navidad River had a difficult time getting to Dubina. On Aug. 13, 1877, the Commissioners Court of Fayette County was petitioned by a group of citizens to construct a second class road from the Schulenburg La Grange Road to the present sight of the Catholic Church in Dubina.

The proposed road would start at the Pilot Grove Moravia and Weimar Road, continue southwest in front of the Catholic Church, in front of the Peter Store, continue west to Haydens Branch and continue west to the Navidad River, then southwest, then west to the Middle Creek and continuing to the Schulenburg La Grange Road at the corner of the Morgan and High Hill Road.

As more and more people were frequenting Dubina from the west, there was concern about the constant floods and the danger of low water crossing. On June 11, 1885, a group of citizens petitioned the Fayette County Commissioners Court to construct a bridge over the East Navidad. On Aug. 15, 1885, the Commissioners Court ordered that an iron bridge, the span of which would be 100 feet, would be constructed across the East Navidad and not to exceed the cost of $3,100. The local citizens would come up with the money for the approaches to the bridge. The King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio was contracted to build the bridge. Several months later, the bridge arrived in Schulenburg by train, was unloaded, and was transported by mules to the East Navidad site.

Construction was under the supervision of the King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio. The last part of December 1885, there was a large amount of rain in the area which caused the iron bridge, in the process of being constructed, to be laid on its side. Fortunately, the only loss was a good portion of the lumber that floated downstream. The King Bridge Company quickly uprighted the iron bridge and completed the construction.

Many stories could be told about this old bridge. It is a tradition to blow the horn upon entering the bridge. This started back when Model T Fords became popular. The fuel tank on the Model T was gravity driven, and if the gas tank was low on gas, the engine would stall out going up the incline of the bridge. Consequently, the vehicle had to manage to turn around and travel backward up the incline of the bridge. Obviously, this caused concern not being able to see someone.

The bridge was also a source of comfort at times. When some of the locals were hunting fox or coon down in the bottom and a fog set in, it could be difficult to tell which direction you were going. When a vehicle went over the bridge and the distinctive sound of the bridge could be heard, everyone knew which direction they were going and where they were at. The bridge was often a good place for young people to meet and a great parking place. If this old bridge could talk, what very interesting stories it could tell.

The bridge was always referred to as “The Big Bridge” by the locals. That was to distinguish it from the smaller bridge across Haydens Branch, or as the locals called it the Hickie Branch. It is unclear who actually was the first person to give the Piano Bridge its name, because of the melodious sounds that the boards of the bridge made as a vehicle drove across it.

The new bridge will no longer make that distinctive sound, but we are thrilled to have it back and hope it will be here for the next 125 years.

That's beautiful, I've got to see it! Here's one we visited on Little River yesterday.
014-3.jpg

She's still going strong (despite the "weak" sign) , we cruised her a few days ago.

Attachments

• 2016 Piano Bridge.jpg
    2016 Piano Bridge.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 273
She's still going strong (despite the "weak" sign) , we cruised her a few days ago.

Looks like you have some BMWs in that crowd. Bring them back for the 46th South Central BMW Club Reunion. I bet there is a ride planed for the Piano Bridge. (Word has it that there is a ride that includes the Willow Springs Bridge and no bridge at all! ;-))
m

We have some guys in our club (BMWDFW) that will be there. I have a schedule conflict and will be in Ark that weekend.
:mrgreen:

Back