• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electrical failure

aussie

Reaction score
G'day. I need some help from the board members.
2010 Bandit 1250S (GSF)

Went for a ride (200Km) and when I was a few Km from home doing approx 50Km the dash info - speedo, tacko when blank.

Checked when I arrived home and the following not working; speedo, tacko, neutral light, tail light, stop light, indicators and horn. ** head light pilot, dip and main working.

It may not be connected but the cooling fan was working and stayed working for a long time after I stopped the engine and with the key in the accessory position.

Checked and found the 15A fuse for all of the above was blown. Replaced the fuse and turned the key to the on position, without touching the starter button, and the tacko needle did it swing around the dial and then the fuse blew. Bike will start and run normally.
Anyone and suggestions of which circuits to test first and the best way to do this.
Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

george

Off the top of my head:
1-look at the wiring harness from the handlebar that goes around the frame that allows pivoting. Look for wear points. You may see insulation that has rubbed through allowing a short circuit to ground.
2-Remove seat and look for worn/rubbed insulation on wiring that would allow a short circuit.
3-Or, disconnect tail light, stop light, indicators and horn. then turn key on and see if fuse blows. If fuse remains ok then one at a time reconnect until fuse blows. last thing reconnected is culprit circuit. i would suspect tail light wiring as its on all the time.
good luck, keep in touch

forgot to ask if ANY electrical modifications have been done, i.e. bulb conversions, secondary solenoid, heated clothing outlets/connectors, permanent battery tender connection, windscreen wiper??

I'll bet that fuse is called the signal fuse. Same things go out when that fuse blows on the Burgmans. The one on my 400 blew and I traced the problem to a short in the horn so that is something you could check. I unplugged the horn and it quit blowing fuses. A new one solved the problem.

Wally and Craig you are both right. I disconnected all the above circuits and reconnected one by one until the fuse blew. It turned out to be the after market horn. However, when I replaced the horn with the original factory horn the fuse again blew. So I will remove the tank etc and check for damage in the harness.

Thank you for your replies I will keep you updated.
george

Back