• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question about selling vehicles in Texas

Reaction score
I just moved to Texas 4 years ago and I am not very familiar with the process for private vehicle sales here. I am planning on listing my Bandit for sale so I am curious how private vehicles sales work in Texas.

Some questions:
1. Do I need to provide a bill of sale to the buyer?
2. Do I remove the license plate?
3. I think I read something about tearing off a portion of the registration to give to the buyer and I keep the other part?
4. Does the title need to be notarized at the time of sale?
5. What else am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

1. No bill of sale needed but its advised, if you don't have one or the amount is too low the base a common value depending on year, age, determined value.
2. You can keep your plate or leave it with it if you don't really care.
3. No registration sheet needed. Always good to have to show someone so they have an idea what it will costto register.
4. When selling you sign the back page of the title. You do not have to date it (most won't want you to if it is a project or basket case.
5. That is, bike is sold. Wave bye to the new owner as they drive off with your old bike, then look at your envelope full of cash, lol.

A bill of sale is no longer necessary unless there is no title and the buyer is going to bond the vehicle. Both you and the buyer will need to complete Form 130-U. Some offices will have other requirements. My office, for example, requires a bill of sale and Form 130-U.

The State of Texas requires the seller to keep the license plate. Upon purchase, it is the buyer's responsibility to register and tag the vehicle immediately. If you purchase a replacement vehicle you may transfer the tags.

3. I think I read something about tearing off a portion of the registration to give to the buyer and I keep the other part?

No.

The State of Texas requires that both the seller and the buyer fill out completely all applicable portions of the title...however, because people abused the system for years and years by saying they bought a car yesterday (eight months ago) for $100 ($7,500), the DMV likely won't give a rat's *** what's on the back of the title so long as the seller's signatures match and Form 130-U is present and complete. A notary need not be involved.

As a seller you're bases are covered.

I just moved to Texas 4 years ago and I am not very familiar with the process for private vehicle sales here. I am planning on listing my Bandit for sale so I am curious how private vehicles sales work in Texas.

Some questions:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

1) Not necessary. You will need to sign the 130U.
2) Your choice. You aren't required to keep the plate, but by doing so you force the buyer to transfer the title.
3) You are thinking of the title. You should tear off the sale notification on top of the title and send it to the state to prove you sold the vehicle on XX date. This protects you from tickets and other violations.
4) No notary necessary
5) DO NOT leave the date open unless you make sure the buyer isn't going to collect parking tickets and toll violations before he transfers the title. You also have to consider that you legally own the vehicle until the title is transferred. If the buyer crashes and kills someone, you WILL be involved in the mess. You can put whatever sales price you want on the 130U but the buyer will be taxed at 80% of SPV. **

Unless it's a '93 F150 that doesn't register in the DMV SPV. Then it was only a $500 truck

1) Bill of Sale is not required but is recommended. One copy for the buyer, one for the seller. Include the buyer's name, address, drivers license number, etc. as well as the vehicle info. File it away for a couple of years. Use the info to direct the authorities to the buyer in case of toll road fees, tickets, or criminal investigations. I have had this happen and it was a lot easier to handle when I could provide this information to the nice detectives on my doorstep on a Sunday afternoon.
2) Keep the plates. Yes, it is optional. Your goal as the seller is to force the buyer to do the right thing and register and title the bike promptly. So keep the plates.
3) File a Vehicle Transfer Notification. This is how you tell the state that you have sold the bike without relying on the seller. It removes your liability for things the buyer does with the bike. It can be filed online here: https://etag.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/VehicleLookup.aspx

Thanks for all of the replies. FYI, it still has an Indiana title since I was not required to get a new title when I moved here.

The 130U is your only legal requirement, along with filling out & signing the back of the title. Caution: sign the back of the title exactly as your name is on the front.

Also, there's a VTR-346, a Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification. This form is not required, and does not have to be signed by the buyer. However, its purpose is to verify to the state that you have sold the vehicle, to whom, and when. Why? Because if the buyer doesn't bother to go to the tax office and complete the process, the state thinks you still own the vehicle. If your old car gets a parking ticket or gets caught on a red light cam, the ticket will be in your name. Complete the form and, in theory, you'll never receive that ticket. But keep a copy of it just in case. A couple of years ago when I sold my mother's car, I got a bunch of bills for the Dallas Tollway. I called them, then scanned & emailed the 346 to them - problem solved.

Signatures MUST match the title PERIOD. The title cannot be signed "Bill" if the title says William. James can't be Jimmy. Rob can't be Robert. Doug can't be Douglas.... Did I mention the signatures must match? Don't ask me how I know...

Signatures MUST match the title PERIOD. The title cannot be signed "Bill" if the title says William. James can't be Jimmy. Rob can't be Robert. Doug can't be Douglas.... Did I mention the signatures must match? Don't ask me how I know...

Probably the same way I know. :doh:

Thanks for all of the replies. FYI, it still has an Indiana title since I was not required to get a new title when I moved here.

What exempted you from titling your bike in Texas? Other than military personnel, new residents have 30 days to register their vehicles. This may present a different set of problems for the buyer since there may be fees and penalties involved in correcting the title.

What exempted you from titling your bike in Texas? Other than military personnel, new residents have 30 days to register their vehicles. This may present a different set of problems for the buyer since there may be fees and penalties involved in correcting the title.

naah, Tax Office has no idea that the titled owner is now a Texas resident. Indiana title will transfer to a Texas title easy peasy after paying the mafia (state sales tax).

_

When we registered our vehicles the first time we asked about getting new titles. They told us we did not need to get Texas titles. I have traded 2 cars with Indiana titles since moving to Texas with no issues. I just was not sure about private sales.

Back