• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Newbie Questions

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just picked up a nice Bandit 1250 k7 model with 20k miles as a Christmas present to myself :D Bike came loaded with some accessories like sargent seat, givi bags, stage 2 etc.

I started reading up on the bike and making some changes and checking few things. I read up a lot of information from this forum and its really helpful to me.

I got some questions on the bike.

1) I did the paper pin mod to put the bike in dealer mode and got _C000 code which means the TPS is out of sync.

I see there are two methods to get it back to -C000,

Easy method is to loosen the torx screws on the TPS unit and slowly move it until it becomes -C000

or the hard way to use the adjustment screw next to second pot on the throttle body

My question is What is the difference between these two methods and is the TPS method not the best way to fix it and temporary?

2) On the TFI side

Is dale's (holeshot) gen 3 EJK TFI with the button and lights better than Gen 2 Dobeck TFI with the 4 adjustment knobs?

Also is the Power commander 3/5 really better than Dale's TFI with respect to getting more horsepower and optimum fueling?

3) Is the Delkevic header just a stock replacement to get rid of the heavy stock header and how does it perform compared to arrow/holeshot headers?

I really don't want to spend ~$700 bucks on holeshot header.
I'm looking at either arrow header or Delkevic header.

4) My fuel gauge is not working. It shows almost full all the time and only blinks when I get to reserve. It doesn't show the exact fuel level.

Since the meter works, I think there is something wrong with fuel sending unit in the tank. Is the only way to fix it is by replacing the $70 fuel sending unit or is there any other diagnosis to be done or other fixes available?

5) I ordered the TPO Pair removal kit and I know it comes up with a 330 ohm resistor. But I would like to put the nice dale's resistor which comes with the metrick metal kit. Anyone knows the exact part number or specs to that resistor so that I can order it?

6) The rear brake on this bike is useless and a dead weight on the bike. I changed to fedoro pads and new brake fluid and still My RD400 stops better I believe. The rear caliper has only one piston and not even two opposing pistons. So bad!!! Front brakes are ok , but definitely not for this bike.

We definitely need good brakes on this torque monster. Any other calipers have same bolt spacing that can be used on the bandit?

Learning something new about this bike everyday :rider:

Ok, Take this for what it is worth.....people may have other opinions and what I have to say may not really clarify much, but I have run a couple different variations of set ups you are asking about......

My first k7: I had Holeshot header, Yoshimura can, 2nd Gen tuner, secondaries NOT removed.

My current k7: Delkevic header, Scorpion can, 3rd Gen tuner, secondaries removed.

My opinion observations---My current bike "seems" (not by a lot) to have more power than the first one. If this is because of the new "map" of the latest TFi box or the fact that I removed the secondaries I'm not sure. If I had to guess, it would be the synergy of the two put together.
The actual build quality of Dales header is awesome, Arrow also has a great rep (Dale uses that on his new GSX1000s). But, after having both, I believe in this case, getting rid of the cat (and loosing weight) ,that the difference between headers is the smallest of the factors. Again, just my opinion.

Make sure your secondaries are removed and get rid of stock header pipe (make sure hi flow filter is clean and installed with completely open air box).

Just a note on header....The Delkevic is a harder install compared to Dales ( multiple pieces). I have had no issues with the quality of the Delkevic though, still looks great.

Last edited:
Brings smiles to my face on the old memories of when I use to just have to modify as much as possible on my bikes. Present situation > 82K plus on the clock ( add .6 to that for actual) Mods . Corbin Seat, Rox handlebar extenders, throttlemeiser. , Yosh can, speedohealer. Slowed down in the past few years but still getting about 4K miles in per year. Still love it after 8 yrs.

Thanks Guys for the info.

I'm still reading the Loong Bandit thread, it got so much info :D

I got throttle sync done on the bike last weekend and after that bike was not running right. Felt like lacking power and not running on all cylinders.
Later we figured out 4th cylinder was not firing based on the header temperatures.

New plugs in and she started right away and sounded right. All the old plugs were black and sooty. 4th plug was wet :D Bike has got 21k miles and looks like PO never changed the plugs.

I believe my Gen 2 TFI settings are not right as its running very rich.
My current settings shows 1,5,6 and 1 on the four pots.

Whats_App_Image_2017_01_17_at_2_12_38_PM.jpg

Can someone PM me Dale's stage 2 settings please? I do have O2 Bypass, K&N filter with no air box lid , secondaries removed, pair blocked and a Yoshimura slip-on and no header.

Also before the Throttle Body Sync, I checked the c000 settings and it showed _c000. I changed the TPS position in dealer mode and there was no change in the position of "-". I don't know what to infer from this.
Next time during the valve adjustment, I planned to pull the throttle bodies out and adjust the TPS screw. Since the "-" didn't change with tps position changes, does it mean its very much out of sync?

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for the info.

I'm still reading the Loong Bandit thread, it got so much info :D

I got throttle sync done on the bike last weekend and after that bike was not running right. Felt like lacking power and not running on all cylinders.
Later we figured out 4th cylinder was not firing based on the header temperatures.

New plugs in and she started right away and sounded right. All the old plugs were black and sooty. 4th plug was wet :D Bike has got 21k miles and looks like PO never changed the plugs.

I believe my Gen 2 TFI settings are not right as its running very rich.
My current settings shows 1,5,6 and 1 on the four pots.

Whats_App_Image_2017_01_17_at_2_12_38_PM.jpg

Can someone PM me Dale's stage 2 settings please? I do have O2 Bypass, K&N filter with no air box lid , secondaries removed, pair blocked and a Yoshimura slip-on and no header.

Also before the Throttle Body Sync, I checked the c000 settings and it showed _c000. I changed the TPS position in dealer mode and there was no change in the position of "-". I don't know what to infer from this.
Next time during the valve adjustment, I planned to pull the throttle bodies out and adjust the TPS screw. Since the "-" didn't change with tps position changes, does it mean its very much out of sync?

You want someone to PM you setting from Dale so you can use it on a competing product?

Might I suggest you call Dale? He answers the phone.

hmm, I had no intentions of using the settings anywhere except on my TFI box.

I don't know why you got that idea and I'm not sure which is the competing product that is being referred? I don't own own a power commander but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 4 pots where I can enter these settings

Calling Dale was a fair point , Thanks for that. I called Dale and he gave me the settings.

Back