• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$5 could save your life.

That's all true; but wouldn't someone with that much to pass on to the ER be starting their motorcycle odysee from a nursing home? :-P This is a better idea for someone who could pass the records off to an ambulance such as in a residential setting.

Exactly my point. Good idea, wrong target audience. ;-)

I would think a person can do both (simple info on card in wallet and flash drive for more extensive info if you have need of providing it). That way you're covered both ways. It doesn't necessarily need to be an either/or proposition.

This is all good discussion regardless. Because in some form another, we should all be carrying some basic info with us in a place that it won't get scattered to the winds if we have an off. Personally, I need to rethink a little myself because my info card is in my wallet which, when I'm riding or driving, is never actually on my person. It's either in the center console of my car or in my tank bag. If I should have an accident in either the car or on the bike I doubt the wallet would be close by afterwards.

Good points all. I think the key here is not first responder info so much as ER info. Very little info if any is used by first responders who's job is to stabilize and then transport. In very few cases are there going to be drugs administered by the first responder that might result in reaction. I do think the paper method is great but in the case of getting separated from your wallet(think sliding on your butt) On a rethink I have come to the conclusion that a lanyard around your neck UNDER your shirt would be the best location. I thought alot about the neat deal on the helmet but just by the nature of a helmets shape and design I think there is a fair likely hood that it could be damaged or torn off. Carrying a cell phone, wallet card, and throwing the jump drive around your neck on a lanyard is probably the best bet.
SRAD

I just have all my medical stuff tattooed across my chest and my back. I doubt I'd tear both of em up in a wreck. :rider:

There is no such thing as too much information. As I have said many times before, the 1st thing every Paramedic, EMT, LEO, doctor, nurse or technician is going to look for is your wallet. It is the single most universal place to find information about anyone at any time.

The minimum information should be name, contact info, meds, history, allergies and insurance. Blood type is irrelevant. Everyone is crossed and typed regardless of what you tell them.

just out of curiosity, I have a question for you. i am allergic to shell fish...is that something that is relevant to an EMT? The reason I ask is because years ago, I got a concussion and they had to do some sort of test that involved injecting me with iodine...Just as they were going to do the injection I blurted out "I'm allergic to shellfish" and they stopped and rescheduled the test...wouldn't tell me why though...thinking it has something to do with the shellfish???? so, is that worth mentioning on these medic allert things?

might be a good idea though our computers in the hospital are locked down and or dont have usb ports or is a dummy terminal and isnt a real computer.

might be a good idea though our computers in the hospital are locked down and or dont have usb ports or is a dummy terminal and isnt a real computer.

Same with the USB ports on the computer in my response vehicle. No, we don't carry bar code scanners.....yet. :wary:

Back