• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

Agreed...Great ride. Very nice meeting everyone.

On a side note. I may be driving up to Dallas area to look at a DR650 this weekend[emoji38]2:[emoji38]2:[emoji38]2:

Scuddy
Awesome! I hour you find a good one!
Missed 9/9, but i would love to try and catch the next one. Any tentative dates?
Depending on what I see in the forecasts either the 23rd or 30th.
For a newbie to the group, could I get some details on the type of terrain and riding style y'all like to do on these rides? I have very little off road experience, but I'm looking to remedy that. I'd like to join in on the next ride, but also don't want to hold the group back if majority of y'all like sliding through corners and keeping the throttle pinned (I'm not on that level yet).
As Danny said, we don't leave anyone behind. My pace at the front varies from a relaxed moderate to frisky depending on my mood. I'm all about including everyone and try to accommodate different bikes and paces.
Rob chime in and let us know what you have found out so far on why your bike would not start.
He was on ODODB. You'll likely have better luck reaching him on there.

Could y'all give me an idea of what y'all pack (if anything) for a day trip like this? As I've said, I'm a newbie to the dirt. I've done some 4-6 hour round trips on this DR, but it was majority pavement. I just want to make sure I'm prepped for the first ride with you guys. I do tend to prefer to pack light to ultralight. I know the best thing is to carry any tool you need to fix any repair, but I honestly wouldn't pack an entire toolbox even if it was a 4 day trip....

I have giant loop Mojave bags on my DR and carry a spare front and rear tube, first aid kit, electric air pump, tire irons, tool roll that contains one wrench for basically every fastener on the bike, and the stock tool kit for good measure.

In my backpack I have a 3L resovior of Gatorade and ice, a microfiber to clean my visor, phone charger, Mylar emergency blanket, compass, and fire starters.

I also have my Zumo GPS on a powered mount on the bike and a USB charge port on the handlebars.

It sounds like a lot, but really isn't. I carry that for anything more than a ride around town. Add on some camping gear and I'm set for weeks. Most of the stuff lives on the bike anyway.

The most important parts are hydration and flat repair items. The most likely bike failure is a flat tire. The most likely human failure is lack of water.

If you're along with me you'll really only need the tubes to fix a flat, as I carry tools. I highly recommend getting your own set though. Harbor Freight can get you set up with a good tool kit for less than $50.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks! I already have some motion pro ultra light tire irons and I have tons of tools. Just not sure if I want to plan on taking a bag full of them or just try something like the motion pro multi tool and a couple extra sockets. I'm in the beginning stages of figuring out my packed gear as far as tools if you can't tell! Haha! Already set with small backpack just big enough for my 3L hydro bladder and a couple small pockets for snacks, phone, and wallet. I'm already set as far as my camping gear and stuff like that as well. I tend to try and stay toward the light spectrum as far as gear being packed. I do still need to install some sort of charging port for at least my phone and/or gps. I also spent about 2 hours on the bike today and when I got home, I noticed a little oil around the cam chain tensioner gasket and also both left side cylinder head bolts. Not enough to drop on the ground, but enough to notice it on the motor. Looks like I've got some maintenance to take care of. I'm hoping I can get a decent amount of rides in with you guys this year to build up a little experience to do some 2-4 night camping trips starting late winter-early spring. Kinda sucks that I've been unlucky convincing my best friend to get another bike and join me. I'd rather not do some of these trips that I have planned alone, but I will if that's my only option. Tired of letting that be an excuse to not get out and explore! Haha

Rob chime in and let us know what you have found out so far on why your bike would not start.
I got a response from him last night:

"Apparently the wire / connection from the starter relay to the starter motor was loose / bad connection which caused the motor not to start. I just picked it up this afternoon and all seems to be running fine now."

Hopefully we'll see him on the next one.

Awesome, thanks! I already have some motion pro ultra light tire irons and I have tons of tools. Just not sure if I want to plan on taking a bag full of them or just try something like the motion pro multi tool and a couple extra sockets. I'm in the beginning stages of figuring out my packed gear as far as tools if you can't tell! Haha! Already set with small backpack just big enough for my 3L hydro bladder and a couple small pockets for snacks, phone, and wallet. I'm already set as far as my camping gear and stuff like that as well. I tend to try and stay toward the light spectrum as far as gear being packed. I do still need to install some sort of charging port for at least my phone and/or gps. I also spent about 2 hours on the bike today and when I got home, I noticed a little oil around the cam chain tensioner gasket and also both left side cylinder head bolts. Not enough to drop on the ground, but enough to notice it on the motor. Looks like I've got some maintenance to take care of. I'm hoping I can get a decent amount of rides in with you guys this year to build up a little experience to do some 2-4 night camping trips starting late winter-early spring. Kinda sucks that I've been unlucky convincing my best friend to get another bike and join me. I'd rather not do some of these trips that I have planned alone, but I will if that's my only option. Tired of letting that be an excuse to not get out and explore! Haha
Sorry to hear your friend isn't interested. If you've got a ride you want to do, just post it up. You'll likely get some interest.

I'm glad you're on to of maintenance and have tools handy. So many today are afraid to work on anything. The DR is easy to work on. If you have any questions, look up the DR thread in the thumpers section of advrider.com . It's the most helpful group you'll ever find!

Im also with you on the lightweight packing. I come from a backpacking background, so I tend to pack very light. Unfortunately I can't backpack anymore due to a back injury, but my gear works great for Moto camping! Perhaps we can run one of the multi day rest Texas rides I've got early next year. I'm out of vacation days to do it with this year.

quote "I'd rather not do some of these trips that I have planned alone, but I will if that's my only option."

Just post your ride intentions on a new thread on here ahead of time and you will probably get someone to go with you.

Yes. Post them! I'm looking for a ride most weekends and resort to just jumping on the bike and exploring by myself most weekends.

It's fun, but, it's nice to ride with others.

PS. I picked up a DR this weekend. It is the one that was posted on here with the white acerbis tank and wind screen. 2006, low miles and runs excellent. Just have to get it registered and a few odds and ends. Then I'll start working on getting suspension and other goodies done.

Yes. Post them! I'm looking for a ride most weekends and resort to just jumping on the bike and exploring by myself most weekends.

PS. I picked up a DR this weekend. It is the one that was posted on here with the white acerbis tank and wind screen. 2006, low miles and runs excellent. Just have to get it registered and a few odds and ends. Then I'll start working on getting suspension and other goodies done.
Congrats on the new to you DR. If you need any help with it, feel free to ask me or get on the DR thread on advrider.com and ask away. That place is amazing for the wealth of DR knowledge available and they never give you the "use the search button" crap.

Hope to see you out on it the next ride!

Awesome! Will do. I usually wind up doing the same thing

Back