• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Final Drive Life

Reaction score
Quick question. How long did your stock chain and sprockets last?
Currently at 19,000 miles and they look good. I run it loose, fairly clean and always lubed.

15-18K miles on my last set. Countershaft sprocket was looking pretty weak as well as chain having rusty residue near O-rings.

I did not check the CS Sprocket and should as they tend to wear first. The rear stock Sunstar looks good as is the chain though its adjusted to the last three "blocks" on the swing arm.

I ran mine to 34,325, but this was probably overdue by 6k judging by the sprocket wear and link play. Upon replacement there was a huge improvement in driveline behavior.

Edited to point out that this on my 2007 1250S. (Sometimes people don't notice the section name, and on top of that there were other Bandits: 1200/600/400.) :)

Last edited:
A high quality chain, that's well maintained and used only on-road can last 20K pretty easily, and 30K is doable. I had 25K on my old Z1000, running a EK x-ring chain and Supersprox sprockets, and the set still looked virtually new with almost zero "lift" off the rear sprocket. I bet it would have gone another 10K pretty easily. I was also pretty diligent about doing a clean/lube every few rides, and only used the non-greasy dry wax style chain lube.

Fours seem to be a little easier on chains than twins or thumpers as well.

My '12 VStrom just passed the 20K mark and the original chain & sprockets are doing fine; to date, I've only had to adjust chain tension once. I keep the chain well lubed and at least wiped down, if not truly cleaned. It probably helps that I'm a pretty tame rider; I short-shift and I'm gentle with the clutch.

When they go, there is a good chance that they can take a piece of the crankcase with them. Run them for an average life expectancy, but I wouldn't try to set any records with them. New ones are far cheaper than new engine cases.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I should get another season out of the stock set. I will check countershaft sprocket wear and generally keep an eye on it.
Cheers!:chug:

I've currently got 31000 miles on the stock chain & sprockets, and the chain is quiet and has no kinks, but have replacements ready for when I start to hear ominous noises coming from the drive line.

From my experience, running the chain tight is the leading cause of premature chain wear.

23,600 on my 07 Bandit 1250S. Mostly touring.
25, 105 on the second set.
Right at 30,000 on the third set and they are still on.

I sold mine with 22K+ on the original final drive system. Very little signs of wear. I don't ride like a hooligan, but I do know what the maximum indicated speed it was capable of. ;-)

Found that chain and sprocket life mirror tire mileage. Those that ride tame and get hi tire mileage, like 8k mi and more out of rear tires get 25-30k out of driveline gear. Me - I get 2-2.5k out of a rear tire (worn edges, center fine), and 12 k or so out of chains-sprockets. Depends a great deal on how much the components are stressed.

Found that chain and sprocket life mirror tire mileage. Those that ride tame and get hi tire mileage, like 8k mi and more out of rear tires get 25-30k out of driveline gear. Me - I get 2-2.5k out of a rear tire (worn edges, center fine), and 12 k or so out of chains-sprockets. Depends a great deal on how much the components are stressed.

Guess I come down on the not so tame side. I have never gone to 20K miles with chain/sprockets and 6-7K with rear tire. I am running lower than stock gearing so the bike pulls harder and no doubt that is harder on rear tire and drivetrain.

Guess I come down on the not so tame side. I have never gone to 20K miles with chain/sprockets and 6-7K with rear tire. I am running lower than stock gearing so the bike pulls harder and no doubt that is harder on rear tire and drivetrain.

On my Strom I would get 10-11k miles out of a rear tire, but only if I was running a Pilot Road. If I put a Tourance, Anakee, or something like that I was in the 7-8k mile range. If I ever got close to 20k on a chain and sprocket set, I would have jumped for joy. Mine were toast by 15-17k miles every time without fail. It isn't like I was putting cheap stuff on there either. I would use DID x-ring chains and RK sprockets.

Had about 42k when I changed my sprockets and chain mainly because paranoia set in as well as I had a big trip coming up so I changed them all at the same time. Ironically the wear was minimal on the sprockets but I didn't ride her as hard back then so we'll see. Currently @ 67k on the bike and used Dupont chain saver from day 1 and only had to adjust the chain maybe 4 times!? ;)

I changed my chain and sprockets at about 40K (km). I have chainoiler. To be honest rear sprocket was OK, chain was OK. Only thing that needed changing was front sprocket. Next time will do only that.

Back