• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Shoes?

Reaction score
At the back of the pack and out of the dust
Been riding with SIDI Adventure Rains for some time now and they are great boots that have saved me from orthopedic surgery on a couple of occasions. But for running errands around town and general highway riding they are serious overkill.

Any suggestions on shoes or light boots with dedicated ankle protection?

m

When commuting to work some good lace-up hiking shoes that cover the ankles fit the bill. Vasque are the current pair. Sidi Rains are my "all day on the bike" shoes too.

Not that I actually ride lately. But, back in the day ... :yawn:

When commuting to work some good lace-up hiking shoes that cover the ankles fit the bill. Vasque are the current pair. Sidi Rains are my "all day on the bike" shoes too.

Not that I actually ride lately. But, back in the day ... :yawn:

In my opinion, hiking boots don't provide enough ankle protection - there's no built-in rigidity there as hiking boots and shoes are expected to be light and flexible.

I was facing the same decision a few months ago. I looked at RevZilla and they offer some riding shoes or low boots, but most weren't available in my size. If you don't have large feet, you'll have a much larger selection.

I ended up buying cheap Cortec Accelerator boots that I ride in now. They are to be my 'daily beater' boot that I don't care about wearing out too fast.

Feet sweat a little, but I just wear tall wool socks and it helps control it quite a bit.

I'll sometimes wear hiking boots for a quick run to the store where I'm not going to be going that fast, but generally I agree with Camper... they don't offer enough protection.

I have three I wear regularly:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Tec-Mens-Altitude-Hiking-Boot/dp/B00DVDWYU2"]Hi-tec Altitude[/ame] all-leather hiking boots for short, around town runs to the store and back. I wear these with jeans a lot of the time anyway so it works for me.

I'll wear Magnum Response III sidezip boots on longer city rides where I may be on the bike for an extended period, but still in town and not riding strictly for pleasure. These were my station/EMS boots back when I was firefighting. Quick in, quick out and very comfortable.

If I'm spending a day or more in the saddle, on the freeway, or riding for fun, I wear the Forma Adventure boot because I want the most protection I can get. Good boot, but they take some time to break in. This kind of boot offers a lot of protection, but they are the stiffest of the three I wear.

Yeah, I've heard good things about Forma boots.

The Hi-Tec Altitude - I used to wear them and like them. I also wore Timberland White Ledge (or something like that) hiking boots and Like them as well.

I wear Bates side zips for around town as well as long trips. Sure they don't have some little tiny plastic disc where my ankle bone is, but being a lace up boot I can also adjust it for much better support than normal motorcycle boot might give short of a racing boot.

And having gone down in them three times, I feel pretty confident about them taking a crash.

In my opinion, hiking boots don't provide enough ankle protection - there's no built-in rigidity there as hiking boots and shoes are expected to be light and flexible.

I was facing the same decision a few months ago. I looked at RevZilla and they offer some riding shoes or low boots, but most weren't available in my size. If you don't have large feet, you'll have a much larger selection.

I ended up buying cheap Cortec Accelerator boots that I ride in now. They are to be my 'daily beater' boot that I don't care about wearing out too fast.

Feet sweat a little, but I just wear tall wool socks and it helps control it quite a bit.

I respect your opinion because you are correct, they don't offer the same protection as motorcycle boots. The hiking boots cover the ankles with padded protection, but have no plastic insert or energy-absorbing foam material.

Most answers to the question at hand will be a compromise. Each person must select the level of compromise they are comfy with in any given circumstance.

This in no way implies that hiking boots are a substitute for motorcycle boots. Only that they may be an alternative to wear for a short commute and then all day long in a walking role. Offering some protection and quite a bit more comfort off the bike.

They would be better overall than wearing most styles of comfortable walking shoes, sandals, etc. while on the bike. They will be a little less comfy in the mall or the office.

Granted, some folks don't mind the sweaty feet and walking all day in boots not designed well for that purpose. Others, with storage, will carry a pair of walking shoes and leave their boots with the bike.

Having any ankle coverage is a world better than not. This is all that is required to participate in the MSF course. A high-top tennis shoe meets those minimum requirements.

Having padded ankle coverage is another level better than just a layer of fabric or leather.

Having armored and padded ankle coverage in a purpose-built boot is ideal, for riding. Not so much for the activities described in the OP's question.

The answer will vary from person to person and from one circumstance to another. The rider will need to evaluate the possible choices, eliminate those that don't provide any reasonable protection, then, find the compromise from the remaining choices that is most appropriate for that day's activity.

Now, we could call all the disciples to turn this into an ATGATT religious thread. If so, then, knee-high motocross boots will really be the only viable option, won't they? :lol2:

I feel comfortable on a twenty minute ride on highways wearing quality hiking boots. (Still encased in a full Motoport suit, gloves and helmet) I feel even more comfortable spending the next nine hours at my desk or walking around the office doing IT work than I ever have in the Sidi Rains, or other motorcycle-specific boot.

I didn't wear hiking boots for riding the ET500 in a day, or for motorcycle vacationing, day after day. It would be neither prudent, nor appropriate.

In the end it will always be up to the individual as to what their priorities will dictate as their choice, and, choice is always better than no choice.

If not motorcycle or hiking boots, maybe oil-resistant work boots?

When I rode in hiking boots, I had an issue once where my foot nearly slipped causing a topple when there was some oil on pavement that I haven't notice (in the center of the lane in front of the light where the oil drips build up).

"oil resistant" means that petroleum based materials will not damage the sole of the shoe. A puddle of oil will cause any shoe to slip, some more than others. I have a pair of work boots that are "oil resistant" and will slip if you look at anything damp. I have another pair that stick like glue except in extremely greasy situations. I often wear work boots to ride in for quick trips that require other activities besides riding.

Last edited:
"oil resistant" means that petroleum based materials will not damage the sole of the shoe. A puddle of oil will cause any shoe to slip, some more than others. I have a pair of work boots that are "oil resistant" and will slip if you look at anything damp. I have another pair that stick like glue except in extremely greasy situations. I often wear work boots to ride in for quick trips that require other activities besides riding.

You're probably right. I meant perhaps finding a work boot that's least slippy in oil.

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep 'em coming. After perusing the internet I'm leaning toward some more street oriented Sidi's, but the jury is still out. BTW the title is a play on a comment my wife's boss made on moving to Texas from New England, "Now I need to get some cowboy shoes." :lol2:

I had been using the SIDI Canyon Gore boots and they served as a great alternative boot to my Discovery Rain boot. They are Velcro at the top section and the one strap is a ratcheting strap not a latch, so it is pretty east to open and close. They do offer good ankle protection and have a good boot type tread on the sole, but I had crash back in Sept. and they did not prevent the tib-fib break I sustained. I plan on buying another pair for my daily commuting and around town driving (since the paramedics cut that pair off).

On rides around here on my KLR, I wear my snake boots. I mean, I have 'em, anyway. They're comfy and waterproof (goretex) and are lined with kevlar to keep a snake's fang from penetrating. Figure that'd work well in a crash. They're also 17" tops, cover most of my lower leg from rocks and such and offer good ankle protection. I got 'em at Academy for walking on my place in Calhoun county which is infested this time of year with rattlers. They're already tested against a rattler strike. :D I have cottonmouths out here, so they still get worn in the woods. :D Dual purpose boots and the camo blends with the faded green on the KLR. :lol2:

Oh, another boot I have that works that's easy to get in and out of is made by Bates for the US military. My buddy's kid is in the military, how I got 'em. They're friggin' heavy, though, so I don't wear 'em much to walk around, wear out my old legs, like wearing ankle weights or something.

If I'm going to work i use my work boots but going on a ride, I use FS Joe Rocket boots Revolution. Super light and comfortable but have shin, ankle bone, and heel protection. Also tall and water proof.

KoryJ

Last edited:
Honestly, I know it's kind of Squiddy of me to say, but I try not to overthink it and I just wear whatever I am wearing to whichever event I am going to. If I am going to work I wear comfortable shoes that allow me to walk because i am going to spend 45 minutes on the bike getting to work and 8 hours dealing with work, and I don't want to have to spend time packing crap on the bike in the morning when I could be sleeping. If I were going on a trip of some magnitude where I may be doing something more than idling in traffic or taking off from stop lights or tooling down the tollway then I give it a little more thought, but for around town stuff I usually wear something that sounds a lot like Nike or New Balance....

I'm usually wearing my old Army issue boots or my Red Wing Iron Rangers. Those Red Wings have zero padding and zero tread because they're an old school boot, but they are insanely comfortable, once broken in.

I actually wrecked in uniform years ago. Still have the issued Bates I was wearing. Still wear them on the bike.

I LOVE my Sidi Doha shoes for daily wear. I don't feel the need to change shoes when I wear them on casual days.
Sidi_Doha_Boot_zoom.jpg

Ended up with a pair of Sidi Blades. They are working out well. Super good street riding boot. Okay to walk in. Easy to get into and out of, which was my big complaint with the Sidi Adventure Rains. The styling is kind of Montrose, but I'm secure and anybody who is passing me on the RT doesn't have time to critique fashion.

Back