• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"Jarrett dives into dirt"? "Jarrett's dirt tiddler diary"?

I don't know that there is much left to say at this point.

I'll quit updating it.

Please don't quit -- I like that it's an ongoing story. Maybe the original title could be modified to reflect the evolution of the thread? You could edit the first post with milestones (post #12, bought one!; post #189, first outing; etc.)

The thread title draws people out of their shells

<--- Case in point...

Re: My Dual Sport/Dirt Bike Experiment (CRF250L Related)

:tab Ride the heck out of it and let us know what you like/dislike. Even if you eventually decide you want something different, no shame there. At least then you will have a MUCH better idea what you want out of a bike! Chronicling that here might help someone else if they are in the place you were in when you started all this ;-)

:tab I am definitely interested as my oldest kid will be 16 in a few years and she likes dual sport adventures. I'd love to get her something like the 250L that she can use to go on rides with me. Granted, for her I'll probably have to look at lowering it a bit... But then, my son will be coming up right behind her and he'll be wanting to ride with me as well.

kinda:giveup: lol

Attachments

• 37690464_10217425819496887_1907988918591029248_n.jpg
    37690464_10217425819496887_1907988918591029248_n.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 225

Looks like you have tons of room now. Even a 1 gal plastic can will fit in one of those packs. I used to do the same with the old 230cc. Keep it simple :thumb:

Looks great, enjoy that fine steed.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to get a street legal 250 of some sort one of these days. Because of this thread, I'll have to add this bike to the list of things to "test ride".

You just might like riding it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Can't wait for a report of how the bike does in Arkansas. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised!

Both of those bike will do great there. Unless that's a 4' wide trailer, you can get both of them on it without any trouble too unless you are just wanting to see how the 250 loaded in the truck.

Wish I was going. I just didn't see it happening this time. Hopefully I'll be back into things soon.

You did the K trail on the 250? What was it that set you off about it? I haven't ridden it yet.

Jarrett.... my guess is that the 250 is a bit under sprung for your weight. It looked like you were squatting the rear a bit. This will change the balance of the bike and removes weight from the front tire. That might have made the front a bit more loose and made it feel slippery.

When you ride a little bike fast, you typically are either standing or moving forward on the tank as far as you can and even extend your foot forward around corners to get some weight on the front tire and keep it planted. Sitting on the seat with the rear shock somewhat squatted probably made the front tire a bit light. I'd suggest getting comfortable standing and moving forward on the seat / hugging the tank will help you. You can work on that in your field and it will translate well when you get on loose roads.

I'd also suggest putting stiffer springs and adding bar risers to the 250 would be good changes if you plan on doing roads like that on the 250.

Also... speed provides stability on sand, gravel or loose rock. The stuff is less likely to move under you when you are rolling it faster. If you stand, you can also soak up bumps with your knees allowing you to go faster without the bike bouncing around as much.

As I mentioned to you on the trail, try this on straightaways and gradually / incrementally go faster and faster over loose stuff / rocks until you are comfortable with that speed.

You also hit a key when you said it may just be a comfort thing. Thousands of miles on the AT vs just a few hundred on the 250 definitely is playing a role here. More than anything, it's just seat time that gets you comfortable on a bike. Just keep working on it a bit at a time and you'll find that next thing to work on.

There's always something to learn...the next thing will be braking hard on loose stuff....you'll get super comfortable going fast on it and your limitation will be getting it slowed down enough to turn at the next corner....good thing is it's fun to learn.

Oh.... and I've probably crashed on a dirt bike about 500 times and I've never broken anything or gotten seriously hurt. Not saying it can't happen, but the speeds are much slower and there isn't 3000 pound cars to run you over so most likely it's scrapes and bumps and not ambulance rides when you crash. Bottom line...you learn by experience but some of the best lessons come from crashing. Nothing like a crash to remind you that you did that section wrong. :)

Back