• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Harley Myth...

In the age of multinational public corporations, does it really matter where the company is headquartered or where it has manufacturing plants? My Dodge truck was assembled in Saltillo, Mexico of parts made around the world.

Back to the original post.

Harley's are reliable, they don't leak oil, then handle well enough for most, and produce enough power to get you in trouble. I've seen competent riders on a XL1200 roadster eat an incompetent sport bike rider for lunch. Most riders can't ride a modern bike of any kind to anything near its maximum potential anyway.

Please don't let your admitted lack of knowledge of Harley's influce your friends choice of bike. I've rarely been disappointed when I bought exactly what I wanted in life and have regretted many purchses where a compromise was involved.

I think where a bike is designed is just as important, if not more, than where it's built. Having bike designed in USA means lots of good paying, white collar, engineering jobs. When you buy a Japan/German/China brand, you're effectively off shoring good paying jobs to those countries. USA is not as competitive as a lot of other countries when it comes to manufacturing, but we sure can out design 'em. We do what we do best--design and engineering. Let 'em do what they do best--manufacturing. Free market, hee-haw.

...:rofl: That is all.

What got me originally interested in riding 7 years ago was a buddy's springer. I really liked the look of the bike. But after looking further, the price tag was a little much for me and then I saw the Spirt and 6 years later bought one.

My buddy has a 100th anny Sportster 1200 and it is a beautiful bike. His only comment was that my bike had a more comfortable seat.

Other than that, I have no experience with HD's but think the rumors are just that.

Maverick

His only comment was that my bike had a more comfortable seat.

That is definately a fair statement. I have never found a motorcycle seat I would refer to as comfortable but it always seems someone else has a more comfortable one than me. It's like your always one step away from getting there. :mrgreen: :doh:

Also, yes honda did pull out thier US motorcycle production and shift around some locations. I just wanted to point out that I wouldn't let where a bike is made influence decision making because it is a global economy and things aren't always "made in America" that say they are.

As far a designs that is all in perspective. I think the Concours is he perfect bike, but not everyone agrees, which is why they don't fly off the showroom floors. :rofl:

But thanks everybody for all the advice. :clap:

No doubt that every myth that Wes posted in the original post are no longer true. They may have been at some point, but definitely not the case for todays Harleys. I have two friends that have over 100K on their HDs. No problems, just regular maintenance. I don't know of anyone with that on their Japanese bikes. Not saying their aren't any, I know there are, but none that I see on a regular basis.

Not picking a fight but 100,000 is pretty common on FJRs and STs.

Most modern bikes are capable of 100K, but most don't see it because A.) They just aren't ridden that many miles and B.) They don't get serviced like they should.

I think most Sportsters will need top end work as the milage nears 100K, at least that's been my observation from the XL forum.

A lot of old bikes are locked up in garages and sheds with 10k on the speedometer.

Not picking a fight but 100,000 is pretty common on FJRs and STs.

Like I said, I know they are out there, just haven't seen it myself. I hear about it all the time. But, just the same, it does go to show that an HD is plenty reliable.

A lot of old bikes are locked up in garages and sheds with 10k on the speedometer.

Where? I want them. Always had the crazy idea of buying all the bikes I ever owned. Need an SP125, SP250, 88 GSX-R 750, and 86 GS700ES. Can you tell I grew up Suzuki?

Where? I want them. Always had the crazy idea of buying all the bikes I ever owned. Need an SP125, SP250, 88 GSX-R 750, and 86 GS700ES. Can you tell I grew up Suzuki?

Yea, where are all these bikes and how can I get my share (cheap). :trust:

Yea, where are all these bikes and how can I get my share (cheap). :trust:

You have to scour the internet and local papers--look at garage sales. I have a 1983 CB1100f that I bought with 16K miles and a 1974 XL350 that I bought with 6K miles and I bought and sold a 1998 Blackbird with 4K on it last year. None were "cheap" but I didn't pay full amount for them either.

But, just the same, it does go to show that an HD is plenty reliable.

I agree, I've had cars that didn't make it to 100,000. But you do raise a good point about how many motorcycles actually reach 100,000. In person I have probably only seen 6 or 7. One Electra or ultra glide (I get them confused) and the rest were Goldwings and Sport tourers.

The only issues I have ever had with Harleys are the cost and the weight. But when I say that a 1200 sportster goes for 9 grand MSRP I was quite impressed. I told my buddy to go for it if that's what he wants. YOu guys have given me some good info to tell him. I didn't want to just tell him the rumors given that I had no facts.

The newer Spotsters (non iron head) are very reliable.
There are parts out the wazoo, either from Harley or aftermarket, which allow these to be set up in virtually any style you could imagine.
In 2005 & 2007 Brent Donahue rode a Sportster to 3rd place finishes in the Iron Butt Rally; for those not familiar with the Rally, thats in excess of 11,000 miles in 11 days. Not too shabby. :clap:
Sigh...in the end you'll still have the a**hats raggin on you for riding a girls bike, when are ya tradin' up to a Big Twin, blah blah blah. :argh:
(An 883 with the 1200 kit installed usually catches a few people offguard :trust:)

Yeah, Honda moved the bike production to Japan. Just do the math... in the ship space that you can put a single $30,000 car, you can probably fit 6 $20,000 goldwings. It's far cheaper per unit to ship bikes than cars.

Well, last night he bought a Sportster, I'm going by tonight to see it. Apparently Barrnet here in town made a good deal and helped with a lot of extras. (riding gear, pipes, luggage) They are delivering to his house for free since he is taking the beginner MSF course this weekend. He can ride he just has never had a liscense and wants to do this right.

After last night I like the sportster more and more. I stayed up to 1:30 am doing my first service on the connie and doing my wife's reg maint. Her scooter once again proved to be engineered by aliens. That thing is so hard to work on that there is no way a sportster can be as hard.

Once again thanks guys and I appreciate how everyone avoided the all out HD bashing. I have even been guilty of this from time to time.

Well, last night he bought a Sportster.

Once again thanks guys and I appreciate how everyone avoided the all out HD bashing. I have even been guilty of this from time to time.

Well, last night he bought a Sportster. Good on him. :bigokay:

Once again thanks guys and I appreciate how everyone avoided the all out HD bashing. Me too. :mrgreen:

I have even been guilty of this from time to time :shame:....you're forgiven...
....this time. :trust: :rofl: :rofl:

I started on with a 2003 1200C Sporty & once I swapped out the handlebars (it came with ones that were pretty close to dragbars), was really happy with it. I did end up trading for a 2004 Heritage (which I traded for a 2009 Ultra), but it wasn't because the Sporty wasn't good, I just wanted a different look & a bit more comfort for longer rides.

Yeah, Honda moved the bike production to Japan. Just do the math... in the ship space that you can put a single $30,000 car, you can probably fit 6 $20,000 goldwings. It's far cheaper per unit to ship bikes than cars.

Have you seen the size of the crates that touring bikes are shipped in?

Originally Posted by Morgan Buchanan View Post

Have you seen the size of the crates that touring bikes are shipped in?

Well, the GL1800 IS a car. They just forgot two of the wheels. :rofl:

Back